I want to get into elk hunting... and know nothing about it

Food($200), fuel($400) and elk tag($600) are the main cost. Other variables greatly depends on what you have. If taking a camper, sleep-in trailer or motorhome. Cost will be higher.

I dont want to ''hi-jack'' Josh's post, so short and sweet here ya go....
DIY-yes
Non guided- yes
Semi guided/supplied drop camp -yes, in some places
Fully guided- doubtfull if you want a good area with big bulls, but possible if your not picky.
Are you going to be packing your ''Howitzer?'' Just kidding, Ive been following some of your other posts so I thought Id throw that in for laughs. I love my 300wby eventhough some of my buddies think Im way over gunned.They have thier opinions and I have mine, and a dead elk is what im goin for. As long as your happy and proficient with your choice of caliber, you will certainly have enough firepower with either the 338-378wby or the 460wby to get the job done. Good luck on your hunt/choice of outfitter, and your caliber choice.

yeah i really like that 460 wby.Im thinking about somthing a lil bit heavier though hehe ,I got plans for a custom build depending on how my emails i get back .:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.