I want to get into elk hunting... and know nothing about it

the scope I am looking @ for my new rifle is a 6-24x56 so it should be good for the shorter shots to. I shot a couple white tails with that scope @ 40 yards last year... wasnt to bad to.... these were southwest texas whitetails though.

the scope I am looking @ for my new rifle is a 6-24x56 so it should be good for the shorter shots to. I shot a couple white tails with that scope @ 40 yards last year... wasnt to bad to.... these were southwest texas whitetails though.

Don't know your gun setup, but that sounds like a big heavy scope to carry around elk country. A 50mm objective or even smaller will do you just as well and save you considerable weight.

I agree with ATH. Myself I like a 50mm because they help gather light so well in the dark timber at sun up/down. Anything bigger gets to be so heavy it a real pain when you are on a "death march" or walking into the back country 5 miles. For my elk guns I like something in the 3-10x range and no larger than 50mm objct. I know the big scopes are nice for shooting elk from afar, but keep in mind alot of elk are shot at close distance too. That is once you go into that hell hole they live in and get em'!

I was just informed earlier that a co-worker has a late uncle that left 1800 acres to his dad and the paperwork is in the process now. I'm not real sure where it is located at this moment but it has a 4,000+ sqaure foot lodge on the property also. He did tell me that it is located next to a national forrest or something like that. I'm not gunna just straight up ask to hunt his property but maybe I'll at least have a place to stay and can use an atv or ruv(I have both) to get close to the public property, IF I can get a tag in this area.

I understand your guys thoughs on the rifle weight and scope weight. I thought about it too. But I believe I can deal with it. I did a good bit of walking/ stalking last year on an oryx hunt in texas, I know it gets heavy but I cant afford to buy a 50mm scope and then another 56mm

I have hunted Colorado for the last 5 years, the last 2 bulls I have taken where both under 30 yards!!! So that scope You have would do me no good. I too dont believe in paying a outfitter for something i can do all by myself. I hunt Private and BLM Land Down from Aspin. i have a 2.5-10 Monarch on my 30-378 the only change in scopes I may do is go with a bushnell 2.5 - 16. I really had to laugh because I shot a 367 score bull 2 years ago and I could of used a shotgun and slugs !!!!!!!!!!!!!! We also bone and pack all our meat out because Its all Part of the Hunt.... Good Luck Hunting!!!

I see what ya are saying. but I'de hate to go up and have a shot on a 280 incher @ 40 yards then just across a draw there be a 360 standing there @ 450 yards.... I'de much rather take the shot on the 360.... @ 30 yards I could probably free hand a shot with no scope or sites almost! lol

you want to keep your outfit light, lots of elevation and acres , and is nothing like hiking in Tx. MY son at 12 shot his first bull at 450 w/243, with same gun I started w/3x9. I shoot w 4x14 and can easy hold elk vitails at 800 yrd.

I've been thinking about upgrading the scope on my bar 30-06... my dad just bought the rifle for me(prior to my ultra mag being stolen) and I havent had much time to shoot the rifle yet. Just been busy recovering from the robery.

Youll do fine if your prepared. Elk hunting or most any hunting out west here is much different than most hunting down south. Notice I said different not harder or easier.
In 1 day of elk hunting out here you can change a couple thousand feet in elevation. Be phisicaly fit and prepared for thinner air in rough terrain.
It's also not un common to have to hurry to get to an intercept point for game you glassed that already has a mile headstart. Be prepared with your map, and know where you are, where you are going, and how to get back in the dark.
Have confidence in your firearm and your ability to pack it all over creation and make the shot with your heart pounding from physical exertion and excitement. Be prepared to get a handle on your heart rate.
And most of all, be mentaly prepared!!!!! Sometimes even the most fit people get into the vast mountainous country,and get bothered for some reason. Know your map well and have confidence in it. especialy since ''scouting'' and having 1st hand knowledge of the country youll be in will be difficult for 1st time out of state hunters. (1st time hunting in a new area). At times every ounce feels like a pound, and sometimes you have a gut check to see if you want it bad enough. Blisters and sore muscles are common not only to flatlanders. Most people even raised in the mountains come across this at some point in thier elk hunting career. Have the proper gear and dress in layers that can easily be shedded and stowed in your pack, only to be put back on 30 min later.
Be prepared for the possiblity of staying out all night and having the ability to stay warm and make a shelter in such cases as a sudden bilzzard. Dont run off half cocked in un familiar country with snow so bad you cant see 5 ft. Youll have no bearing in unfamiliar country with 0 visibility. Bring quality gear you can trust.
Be prepared and youll have a fun adventure, and hopefully successfull hunt.
Good luck

winmag, that was a great post man! I appreciate it. I have a lot of preparation ahead! A buddy of mine told me I need to literally put a straw in my mouth and start walking and running which will be about the same as breathing in higher elevations. He spent about 6 years in the air force and spent some time in Colorado, Montana and some of the neighboring states traveling.

Right now I'm not in very good shape but somehow I tend to handle walking through the woods a little better than some of my friends that are smaller and don't smoke. I am quiting smoking also, so that will definately help

I don't know that I will be able to have my rifle built by the time we are going to try to go on this hunt but it should be ready for our deer season. 5 grand is gunna be a lot for me to come up with within the next month or 3 for the build to be complete. So I guess the BAR 30-06 will be the rifle used. Fortunately its light.

What ever scope you use, make sure it will do well against the elements. I have had a leupold vx-III still fog up on me, had to wait a few minute and let my body heat warm the scope up before clearing up. Only happens to me during cold storms and often found elk in these conditions.

Good luck...

I hunted elk for alot of years with my trusty ol '-06. It will do fine. Just make your shot count, cause following them b4 theyre shot is tough. Tracking them after the shot into the bottom of the abyss or what ever hole they choose to die in is not fun. My rule of thumb (wich may not be everyones way) is if in doubt put more lead in em'. If he's still on his feet I'm still shootin. They can be ''hard to die'' sometimes, and are well known for taking a well placed shot and somehow keep going. Not always, but its happened to most elk hunters I know(me included) at one time or another. That being said, Ive also seen -one- shot with a little 243win that died in its tracks. Just make your first one count and be prepared to add more lead if needed. Good luck

I do want to upgrade the scope on this rifle... not sure what I want to put on it just yet though... I really dont want to spend $1K on one b/c this is really just a beat around rifle. I like the 30-06 caliber. My next unit will be a 300RUM for sure though.

I do want to upgrade the scope on this rifle... not sure what I want to put on it just yet though... I really dont want to spend $1K on one b/c this is really just a beat around rifle. I like the 30-06 caliber. My next unit will be a 300RUM for sure though.

No kidding...scopes cost more than guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.