I want to get into duck hunting

• Thread starter Deleted member 112772
  • Start date
And before I had my shotgun, dad would let me crawl up the bank, slip my single shot 22 on the dam and shoot one sitting on the pond, then he would rush up the pond and shoot them as they took flight. Those were great times, after I goty single shot 410, we would rush the bank at the same time and bust them when they took flight. I remember we would always, when walking up the bank, our barrels would clink just before we topped the bank, man the things you remember when hunting with your dad. :)
That's awesome .

Mines about ten years old. Like I said only problem is it sticks a little. Once in a while but

Folks. I don't want to go over board on opinions I posted on going with the 3 1/2 shell shotgun. Sometimes written word comes off as true strong of a opinion. Ha ha ha. Couple of posters said the 3 1/2 inch shell will rattle your teeth. I agree. But this is what I did. I ordered a piece of round lead , 5/8 dia lead from metal supply company in Ohio. Sorry don't have the name but there is many company's that carrier this. I cut to the exact length of my shotgun plug and wrapped it with black electrician tape and used it for plug. Then I cut up 3 or 4 small length PCs and put them in my butt stock and then put the limb saver butt pad on it. What a game changer ! Now my gun is heavy but you would not believe how much it tamed recoil down. A waterfowl , turkey , coyote hunter really does not walk that much and I really don't even notice the extra weight. Only way to go is the round lead rod replacing your shotgun plug and in your butt stock. So much better then a bag of shot wrapped in a little cloth bag and taped up and put in your gun for weight. Then that bag will rot in 7 years and spill all inside your gun. Lead rod is Cheap and I think works better then the recoil reducers on the market I have tried. Just more of my 2 cents. Ha ha. Hope this has been helpful. Marty

Last edited:
Or when you need a boat paddle or help getting out of the mud
I've used mine as a kayak paddle, I've used it to keep myself from sinking in the mud, I've used it club geese when I ran out of ammo. Plus if you drop them in a flooded cornfield and there's too much mud in the action for it to work, you can do a quick field strip, urinate on it to get the mud out of the action and go back to killing ducks.

I don't have a shotgun for hunting. What would be a good entry level shotgun? Any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.

Browning BPS 12 gauge 28" barrel length in 3 1/2 chamber. Action is smooth right from the box. That gives you 2 3/4",3" and 3 1/2" choice. That way if you can hunt whatever you want. You can get shorter barrel lengths if wanted. I own 4 BPS in different gauges, and several 870 Rem pumps too. The Rem 870 action are stiff from the box and takes time for the action to wear in. I have 24", 30" and 34" trap barrel for my 870 12 gauge. A lighter gauge doesn't work well with steel shot for duck and goose hunting. I am not saying that lighter gauges can't work, but. Don't buy a used shotgun that doesn't have changeable choke tubes. The shot charge being lighter and shot size is larger, you don't get as much shot in the column that why the 3 1/2" 12 gauge case was created. In the days of lead shot for duck hunting I had a pet load and just changed the shot size to do the job. In a 24" barrel improved cylinder choke. for dove hunting and to the longer barrels for ducks. The hand load was 1 3/8oz of lead shot @ 1300 fps. Dove I would use 7 1/2 or 8 size shot, and ducks I would use 5 or 6 size shot that work well on snow geese. The loading was effective out to 50 yards on dove. I would go to longer barrel length if the dove were high flyers or people were sky busting with their antiaircraft shotguns with there 7/8 oz or 1 oz of 8 shot loads and low powder charge.
Why I didn't recommend an auto loader. I had a friend name Richard with a 1100 Rem shotgun. A little in the morning he was down to 1 shot only. It wouldn't feed. So we named him one shot Richard. The auto are far better today than in the 70's. I still see them shooting one shot after a time with high end shotguns. I have friends that are ardent duck and goose hunters. They have 30' enclosed trailer loaded with decoys. All high end decoys.
Duck and goose hunting you don't use as many round to hunt. Dove that a different thing. (Lots of rounds)

SSS
Mike

Last edited:
I don't have a shotgun for hunting. What would be a good entry level shotgun? Any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.
There are many economy quality shotguns on the market.. Make sure you know your dominant eye.. Find the one that fits you.. Close your eyes and shoulder it... Open your eyes and if it fits you will be looking right down the barrel.. Not looking at the back of the receiver or looking down on the barrel.. Stay with the 12ga.. Then PATTERN your gun.. Some with like one shell over another... Good luck.... Keep us posted..

Last edited:
I would look at a lower priced OU with 3 1/2" chambers camo finish.
since it only holds 2 you are cool
Sure a Super Black Eagle is great but a lot of money?

i agree with this. Check out the Barretta silver reserve 2. Great fit and finish and wonderful swinging gun at a good price. I have a Winchester sx3 that I happily leave in the safe to bring the O/U. I just think they naturally point better then the long semi's

4-5 years ago I set out to buy my first shotgun and I wanted something that could fill multiple roles due to limited disposable income keeping me from buying multiple guns for different purposes. The 870 was the first and obvious choice as it should be for most people ... but I prefer an auto-loader. After a lot of research and shouldering different guns in the store I settled on the Franchi 3" with a 26" barrel and it has been a fantastic gun. I use it every year in Trap leagues, sporting clays, pheasant hunting, and took it on my first snow goose hunt a couple weeks ago. I've never once had any kind of failure with it.

4-5 years ago I set out to buy my first shotgun and I wanted something that could fill multiple roles due to limited disposable income keeping me from buying multiple guns for different purposes. The 870 was the first and obvious choice as it should be for most people ... but I prefer an auto-loader. After a lot of research and shouldering different guns in the store I settled on the Franchi 3" with a 26" barrel and it has been a fantastic gun. I use it every year in Trap leagues, sporting clays, pheasant hunting, and took it on my first snow goose hunt a couple weeks ago. I've never once had any kind of failure with it.
I was going to purchase the Franchi in 3" before I changed my mind and went with the Remington V3 Waterfowl Pro.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.