I want to build a Whisper gun need a few ideas

bigrich954rr

All i know is i want a subsonic round rifle. was thinking 300whisper cause there dies around but i really wanted 338 shooting 300 grain smk. but im open to ideas. looking for pro/cons. what action to build off.

try this link 300 whisper

and this one

I think this is the guy who invented the whisper more stuff

I've been looking into this alot also. I'm going to demo the gun in the link at top on Sun, and that will be my first time shooting/hearing a 300 whisper. Needless to say, I'm excited.

hope those links help. quiet info

ssk makes a 338 wisper and a 50 wisper.
I would neck up a 30br to 338 and go with it for the 300 smk for a sub round. you can get redding componets to make the dies easily and it is not a propietary cartridge.

you also need to take in consideration twist rates for the 300 smk at sub speeds. Pac Nor makes an 7 twist in 338 that should stabilize the 338's

build on a remington 700

d-a

carbonman

do you know what the parent case is?

I agree with d-a, I am building a 338 Whisper on a 700 for a customer right now. HS box mag assy, integeraly suppressed, takedown, scout scoped, & set up for the 300's. This takedown system with a scout scope will allow for takedown and replacement with no loss of zero unlike most return to zero mounts. But in answer to your question 338 Whisper, M700 and your chosen optics.

does anyone know how the accuracy is with the subsonic 338 whisper? ooohhhhhhh, Shawn how much for the integral whisper?(unless that info is personal, then nevermind)
that sounds like an awesome setup...I'm trying to decide what to get also.

[ QUOTE ]

carbonman

do you know what the parent case is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Starline 10mm Magnum case is the parent of the Spectre.
1143200922044_spectre.jpg

This is a proprietary cartridge, however, the licensing for small scale production is pretty painless.

The 338 Whispers I have done or been around have easly shot sub MOA out to 200 yards. Email me direct about price and timeline. Also there are afew additional items you need for them in terms of equipment.

so with the 338 whisper i would use the 308 bolt face.what parent case would i start with i was looking at cutting down the rem 7mm case
how loud would it be with out a can? I know how i want the rifle built but still not sure on the round or where to get everything i need

I would get with shawn and have him do it. he has the reamer on hand and can give you load data to get started .

[ QUOTE ]
so with the 338 whisper i would use the 308 bolt face.what parent case would i start with i was looking at cutting down the rem 7mm case
how loud would it be with out a can? I know how i want the rifle built but still not sure on the round or where to get everything i need

[/ QUOTE ]

it would depend on which reamer your smith has. the 338 wisper is based on the 221 fireball as well as the 7mm br remington brass

the only things you gain without a can and subsonic ammo is no sonic boom(crack)and no worry about transitioning thru the transonic zone.

from http://www.sskindustries.com/cartridges.htm

[ QUOTE ]
One Whisper® series from 6 mm, 6.5 mm, 7mm, 300 and 338 is based on the 221 fireball case. Another series is based on the 7 BR case in 338, 375 and 416 caliber to convert 308 case head size actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

hope this helps.

oh and for cutting down 7mm rem brass you would have a lot more expenses with custom forming dies and reloading dies as well as a special order reamer.

I like the 338 Whisper based on the 7 BR round, it is a fairly simple multi neck expansion process to make brass. OAL's run about the same as a 308 with the 300 SMK and they work well with the HS box mag assy. Running sub ammo with a tight action lockup, the loudest thing you hear is the bullet impacting the target.

Shawn C.

This has gotton me interested! I am so use to the big boom, it would be nice to just hear a pop now and again.
What kind of chamber pressure do they have?

Thanks,
Dave

The sub sonic ammo out of the 10-12" internal barrel runs about 40,000 or so. You can run up to around 53-55,000 for full power, but who would if you want more power I'm sure you have big power tools around. They are quite alot of fun and really good for various pest control problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.