i want to build a long range hunting rifle, but i have some back problems

nathank

i have some back problems from a atv accident. but i want to build a rifle that i can use for hunting at some long ranges, and for target practice at long ranges. i want a large caliber cause i will be hunting moose and possibly elk.

i want to build my rifle using a knoxx axiom stock because it reduces recoil alot. i think this with a muzzle break coulld reduce the recoil enough for me to shoot a large caliber rifle and be able to shoot it more than one shot in a session .

so my question is what parts would you use to build a rifle for an affordable price around that stock. so i need either a remington action or a weatherby.

so should i buy a rifle and change the just the stock, or should i buy all custom parts??

Well their is alot to be said for some of the off the rack guns , a factory rem 700 in 300 RUM will cleanly kill elk and moose out past 600yds , a factory gun with a good brake in 300 RUM will be very controlable and the recoil will be reasonably mild.

Their is a 300 Wby mag with scope for a good deal down in the ads , its chambered for 300 Wby which is a small tick below the 300 RUM but stuill very cabible of killing big game bas the 500yd mark , its got a good brake and the recoil is mild , I highly doubt that another stock would be needed.

How far are you planning to shoot Elk and Moose

What is your budget

nathank, I can't offer too much advice on a rifle,but, I might be able to help you with your back. It might open up your possibilities.

What was you injury? When? What do you do for it? How old are you?

P.M. if you like.

i crashed a three wheeled atv going about 70 rolled it three times, flew 20 feet, hit the ground so hard that my shoes and one of my socks came off haha. it was 8 years ago. i have tried everything i have been in physio gone to cyropracters , i have been told the only thing that will help is surgery but im too young. im 20 years old. i can shoot some heavy calibers but only a few shots before my back starts to hurt and i want to do lots of target shooting in the off season and then some long range hunting.

i have been taking advil for inflamation and using a giant rubber band to strengthen it . the doctors told me to do it ha. i shoot from all shooting positions. its injured like just below my shoulder blades there is spine damage .

I don't know exactly how you're hurt, but allow me to share this.

I am 34 years old about 5 years ago I had back surgery twice for herniated disc's(again this may have no bearing on your problem). Both times I woke up completely pain free, and it was out patient surgery so Hospital stay. I guess what I'm trying to tell you from my experience is that I wouldn't be overly concerned about surgery unless you have a good reason. My injuries were also ATV (racing) related.

I too have injured my back.Twice.First time 20 years old from a motorcoss jumping accident. Second time 38 years old a work related injury.both times I had surgery. both times woke up pain free. Get yourself the best docters you can find or afford. Inow shoot a 300rum with no brake. some of my shooting sessions last for 6 hours with 50 plus rounds fired . no pain in my back at all. your not getting youger. Don't think your to young for surgery. get some more opinions from differnt docters. Pain sucks. been there .done that. Gets alot worse the older you get.

nathank ,
My advice is exercise and stretching -we have become a very lazy society -some people think that because they do a little work -there is no need to do anything else.
Our ancestors did WAY more work walking -chopping wood -hunting -making 10 kids-etc. than 99% us modern folks ,get on a workout program -sit-ups will do wonders for a bad back.
They help support your body when you're in the upright position.

I'm 48yrs old and broke my back 4yrs ago on a step-up jump riding moto-x -over jumped a huge triple and landed on the take off of the next jump -two compression burst vertabras and damage to two fiberous disc's -it's all fused into one big disc now -so i still ride!!

Broke my neck playing high school football -so again -you must execise to keep your mobilty.
Don't listen to people telling you to take pills -don't move if it hurts -etc. -you're young get out there and get going -you'll be a new man in three months.

I laid around for a couple of years after breaking my back -big mistake -now i work out 3-4 times per week and never felt better -start working out and get a 338 AM -no brake ...

Last edited:
For a reduction in recoil, I would look at a .300 WSM or .300 Winchester Mag with a break. I think an Ultra mag with a break is still going to kick about like a .300 WSM without, or maybe in the 7mm to 30-06 recoil. Which might effect your back.

Perhaps a .270 WSM with a break if your really worried about the recoil.

I have a Remingon 700 CDL Stainless Fluted with an HS stock. Its a descent rifle.

I personally would like to do some work to mine. I'm thinking Sako extractor and Lilja barrel along with a Jewell trigger. Hate the Remington extractor.

You could definitely get a 700 SPS, a stock, a break, and do a barrel and "accurizing" for around $1500.

Or you could buy a Sako? While I think the Sako are a fine quality rifle, I think the Remington with some work done would out shoot it. I do really like the Finnlight. Feels great in my hands.