I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

Thats not My pic. That was pic was pulles off of Swamplords site. Sure he's shooting some .40 cal wildcat based ooff the .338 LM (I think). It was just a friendly jab at Swamplord.
I myself used to shoot a .300 RUM and a 7 SAUM until this year. But 3 weeks ago had c5-c6 disc replacement and fusion surgery. Doc says no shooting until l next spring, and I can pretty much sell my magnum rifles. ):

No worries, I was only razzing ya. Besides, I like the little 308 Win. As for your spinal fusion, I have Two long Titanium rods and 28-4 inch long Titanium screws in my back, and I can't bring myself to sell my big guns. I still love touching them off, even if the next day my SPINE pays for it........call it DEDICATION. o_O

PS. Sorry about your Fusion. :(

Last edited:
It's ok if you like knock-offs. The original 7 mag, Roys version, is actually perfection. Throated for todays high BC bullets, nice long neck, sexy shoulders and by todays magnum standards, pretty efficient. Remington picked a great case to copy.
Dude, You need a history lesson. Early Weatherbys were a joke. It took "Roy" and staff 20+ years to get it right. Study the video on the 7mm Rem mag by The Gunsmith and you will get it straight! It's no wonder no one has Liked your post!

I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.
Probably the 7 Mag is a well designed cartridge and hard to beat. But shot placement is what really counts.

I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.

I too have fallen under the Spell of The Big 7 recently. When I first started hunting my buddy chose a 270 Win and I a 300 Win Mag. Since that time I've used just about every cartridge in search of Eldorado. A 375 H&H flattened plains game in Africa and moose in Canada. A 300 Mag killed a moose in Alberta beyond 400 yards. One favorite the 338 Win Mag thumped a bull elk at 175 yards. Also a treed black bear, a Muskox and Caribou. A few years back my 7 Rem Mag took a high mountain muley over 200 yards and a 270 Win the same on a mountain black tail. I've watched my buddies drop big game with 270s, 06s and 308 Win. I've also seen animals that barely react with well placed shots from all of the above cartridges like a bull moose that took 5 375 H&H 300 NPs to keep him from charging me! (375 H&H is not a stopping rifle in my opinion). Yes bullet designs can change everything. I've rediscovered the 7 Rem Mag again. Why? Because ammo is plentiful, inexpensive. To me a 7 Mag doesn't recoil much at all. (Want real recoil? Shoot my lightweight 416 Rem Mag!) I'm a hunter and out to 450 yards the 7 Mag plain works with the right bullet. Soon I'll experiment with the Norma Oryx and Federal TBT loads in 7MM. I'm willing to step down to a 7 because I pride myself in shot placement and feel OK using the 7 MAG. BUT if you want a reason not to, well I'll be the first to admit that other cartridges provide advantages on big game in a time where hunting is becoming more expensive and difficult/short seasons. Out to 400 yards there is no way the 7 Rem Mag can compete on big animals with the 338 Win Mag. Dead is dead, but the 338 is a more reliable thumper. Shooting 210 and 250 NPs, a 338 takes care of business fast. I guess that's a clear advantage while hunting elk. I once had to shoot a cow elk 3 times with a 7 Mag! I know all the variables but using a 7 Rem Mag on everything is a compromise. So to the OP are you OK with that compromise? I may be at this point, but I'm also playing around with a 9.3X62 Mauser. Sure a 300 yard shot might be stretching things, but I expect the 286 Norma Oryx will flatten an elk out to 200 yards! I'm more of a hunter than LR Sniper (I do have a built 300 RUM). I replied here because recently playing mind games I paired a 7 Rem Mag and a 9.3X62 Mauser for all big game hunting in my home State of Washington. I have 2 Big 7s. One is a semi-custom project and the other a 1965 darkened stainless barreled 700 ADL in wood, that I just picked up for $250! I thought it apropos to shoot a Big 7 in an early factory gun. I floated it and am in the process of bedding and a Timney trigger. The rifle has battle scars, but I like it. The 9.3 is a wood stocked BSA, which I expect to perform like a 338 Mag+ in the timber. I guess in the end I could not just have a Big 7. But would include one in a shooting/hunting Battery. (.223, .243, 7 Rem Mag, 338 Mag/9.3, 416Mag).

The 7mmRM is right in there with the 300WM as one of the most versatile, do-it-all cartridges ever invented. I went with the 300WM because I personally value the extra diameter. I acknowledge that's debatable and don't slight those that choose the other.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm trying to get caught up, I've read through the first few pages and I noticed a few topics coming up. 1, recoil or the lack thereof. 2, the 300 win mag is mentioned a lot in comparison. 3, using multiple calibers and picking the best one for the situation.

First recoil, I appreciate the humor in one of the post about being a sissy, nether the 7 or 300 kick that bad. I know some people who shoot some big @s guns without brakes. I used to have a 338 ultra mag in a 7lb rifle and I could still shoot it half moa. But I've yet to meet a single person who is impervious to recoil. Take someone who is shooting 1/4 inch groups with a rifle that kicks like a mule and give that same person a 6ppc bench gun, they will shoot better with the lighter recoil (assuming both rifles have equal accuracy potential). The 7mm with a brake kicks less than the ultra mag rifles with the same brake in the same weight rifle.

2. The 300 win mag. I had one and loved it but like I said, I haven't seen a critter drop faster with one or the other. Yes we can get into ft-lbs of energy, bullet diameter argument... but I think it's all about shot placement/ bullet construction. And as far as shot placement the 7mm (with the majority of load combinations) will fight wind better and shoot flatter than the 300. The 300 win is a fantastic cartridge so I'm not bashing, just making an argument for the 7.

3. Using the best caliber for the task. I'll admit, I like a fur friendly rifle for my coyotes. I use a 204 ruger. But for everything else, I could make a load with 100 gr varmint bullets, a 160 to 168 gr target load for completion, and a 160-195 bullet still with enough velocity to take any animal I want. That can't be said for every caliber out there. Yes I have a 6mm creedmoor I will use for targets, and a 338 lapua would probably be better for African game, but if I had to use one caliber for the rest of my life... I could make a coyote load, shoot PRS, and kill anything in north America and be competitive in all categories.

I'm trying to remember the name of the book, but someone traveled the world shooting everything from Alaskan bears to African game with a 220 swift... it was an eye opener as to "pick the right bullet and put it in the right spot". I'd say the 7 mag has more power than a 220 swift

.280 Rem has wonderful ballistics and much easier on your shoulder. Just hard to find ammunition unless you reload. I used to have the magnum but the 280 works for any elk or deer as far as I can shoot.

I you believe in your 7mm, if you have faith in it, if it feels good when you pick it up and shoulder it, if it would be the gun you looked for in a pile of everything in your gun safes, then (respectfully) you have answered your own question.
I have safes full of "shudda been betta" rifles. I reach of one, time after time, because every time I point it at something and pull the trigger, something dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts