I want a legit argument against an old trusted cartridge

I can't argue with sticking with a 7mag. In fact, I had a Ti/Ca build put together this year in 7mag, and couldn't want anything more for big game.

I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.

I've shot more elk with a 7mm Rem Mag than everyone I know combined. I've never lost one. In fact, I've had the opposite, I've dropped them and had them roll down a hill to where it took a bit to find them. Funny thing I had to switch to a cheaper bullet. I used to shoot partition 175 grain. Actually punched through my buffalo twice. Switched to Hornady 162 btsp killed everything I've ever shot at.

Short of dangerous game, the 243 is actually a pretty fantastic cartridge and will happily do whatever you want.

You can swap 243 for almost any other modern cartridge in that statement. Lots of deer have fallen to a 22mag. Ive shot groundhogs with a 375rum. As long as it's not gonna charge you and you make a good shot, most critters die shortly after poking a hole in em.

I started off my hunting career with a 7mm Remington Magnum. It never failed me but eventually I was bitten by the "bigger and better" bug. I switched to a 300 win mag which I believed would serve me well with a little more knock down power, if I ever made it to Alaska to hunt big bears.

I shortly realized elk, dear, antalope, and black bear don't know the difference between the 300 and 7mm... it's more about shot placement and the type of bullet being used.

So I went back the the 7mm because of less recoil and better wind fighting capabilities.

Then I was bitten by the "newest shinniest" bug. I picked the next cartridge by going backwards. I wanted the highest BC, highest SD bullet made, which was at the time the 7mm 195 Berger EOL. Then found the cartridge which would push it the fastest and flattest, the 28 Nosler (besides the Allen mags and other wildcats).

After messing with the 28 Nosler for probably 2 rifles, 5 barrels, maybe 2000 rounds within the last year... I don't know it's worth it.

The 7mm Remington Magnum will kill anything. It's cheap. It doesn't kick bad with a muzzle brake. I could hunt around the world and if I lose my hand loads, I can find ammo. I believe it is the best all around, do anything, caliber ever made.

It has better ballistics and more power than all the small target cartridges (6mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor and x47 Lapua, 6.5- 284, the BR range of cartridges, and 308 win). Yet is far cheaper, less recoil, more available and easier on barrels than the "bigger and better" or "new and shiny" cartridges like 26 and 28 Nosler, 300 rum, 6.5-300 weatherby and the like.

I guess I want a valid argument (I hope you win) as to why any caliber out there is better than the 7 mag, because the more I try new things, the more I get pulled back to my 7.

Here's the argument, could you imagine a world where all we shot was 7 mag? I mean it gets the job done, it's plenty accurate, and you can hammer tiny targets really far away.

But if you think our sport is dying now could you imagine if we only had the 7 mag to play with? How boring that would be? Replace 7 mag with any one and only cartridge and the same logic applies.

Variety makes life interesting.

I shoot 7mm mostly for elk moose caribou mule deer bears they all went down with berger bullets and hornady I have 2 7mm coopers and xcr Remington all great guns and serve me well

There is no legit reason for not using the 7Mag. It is one of the best of all time, IMO. I started my hunting escapades in Montana in 1987 with a 7mag. Killed everything that moved using reloads that I was making using the old Lee plastic scoops for measuring powder and 139 Grain Hornaday Spire Points. Moose, Bear, Elk, Whitetail, Antelope and Mule deer all fell to this combination without a single animal lost or spoiled. But as I read in one of the earlier posts that doesn't support the outdoor industry and it certainly doesn't satisfy my need to get another item to occupy my time and have fun with. The 7Mag will never do you wrong. You do your part and I guarantee you it will do its part.

There is no argument. It is personal preference. There is zero reason to own 30 rifles except that people want to. The 7MM,is a great round and is very versatile.

Well, all the smart kids know that belt makes it obsolete and useless.

You are exactly right, very good package for hunting with not much downside. Un-braked recoil may be a bit much for some.

Actually, most of the 30-06 based rounds work pretty darn good as well, in the mid-range calibers. I do wish that the 6.5-06 was a standard cartridge.

I have to admit I haven't read 5 pages of replies. I love the 7 mag but the belted case made reloading a pain. I moved to a even more esoteric cartridge 280AI.

That's my knock on the 7mag. Belted cartridge

You provided youreself the answer to your own dilemma. "It's about shot placement".

I grew up shooting a Ruger M77 mkII 270win
I watched "older more experienced" shooters and hunters use magnum rifles to make shots at relatively short ranges. I never tracked a deer , didn't have to. Routinely we had to track wounded animals that poorly placed shots were made on. The power of the rifle didn't make up for terrible shooting.

Shoot what you can shoot well. Within sensible reason, that matters more than all the marketing and ballistics tables that drive decisions for buying rifles these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts