I touch / I phone topo maps

loaders_loft

I bought a cool app for my Itouch last week. For $7.99 its got all the topo maps in the US, high or low definition. They are the actual USGS maps scanned, with some cool utilities as well. I have been playing with it and so far so good.

Check it out...

Topo Maps :: Introduction

I thought about doing that but the battery consumption of the iPhone is horrendus running something like a GPS application. I wouldn't want to rely on it for navigation out in the woods where I really "needed" a navigation aid. Might be a practical backup to a real GPS though.

Fitch

That's pretty amazing that you can get USGS topo maps of the US for $7.99

What a change from the paper maps. Digital mapping is really changing things!

the accuterra app is much less expensive. You dont need a signal to look at maps either. I havent quite figured out how to trail without a signal yet.

if $8 is expensive you got the wrong hobby...

I guess its less expensive if you only want a map of one small area. If you want all the maps your going to spend a bundle!

thats why I like the app I posted. Its not "pay as you go". For $8 you get ALL the USGS topo maps.

ALL OF THEM for $8.

It depends if you have a signal where youre at. If so, the google satellite maps are nation wide and are pretty nice for finding trails/roads. And it shows your location, tracks, saves points, etc. And no $8 isnt too expensive for me. I bit the bullet on Lowrance's Endura a while back.

Last edited:
The iPhone topo maps do run with the gps. I just tested them this week on our new west TX hunting lease (8000 acres) with 200-300 feet of vertical. There is a button on the bottom left that locates you. If you leave it on, the map snaps back to your position if you try to scroll. If you turn it off, the blue locator dot stays put and you can pan and zoom. Need to be in shade for decent visibility. Charge lasted over 3 hours. Topo resolution leaves something to be desired. I'm looking for the ultimate GPS but would like a 4" - 5" screen. Any suggestions?

Anyone use "GPS kit" app for iphone? So far I love it, but am wondering how exactly the "radar" works with in and out signals.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.