I-Touch/I-Phone question about "Ballistic" software

ss7mm

My shooting buddy called and said he downloaded Ballistic for his I-Touch. It seems like a good program although I haven't seen it in person.

The question I have, for anyone that uses this software, is this:
He says that it shows a drop for any range you want to see but he can't find anywhere that it will show the scope adjustment for a given range. What I mean is that it will show 18" drop but it doesn't show the scope adjustment needed for that range. He has to do the math in his head to figure the scope adjustment.

Is this feature really there and he just can't find it or is this just the way that Ballistic works?

I use the KAC Bulletflight software on my IPhone.

It will tell me how many clicks as well as how many MOA, or MILS depending on how I have it set.

Tell him to scroll down to the output options touch elevation and he can choose what he wants it to convert to. There is six or so options. I use ballistic alot and it is a pretty good program. Hope that helps. Feel free to pm me I've gotten pretty good with it.

I have both Ballistic and Bulletflight. I find I use BulletFlight almost exclusively. It allows all your hunting rifles to be pre-entered with all the details of the load you will be using in the field and the conditions for when the rifle was zeroed. In the field one just picks the rifle being used to day from the list and enters the conditions for the shot. The output is in the form of scope corrections in MOA (or units of your choice) for the distance and conditions now compared to conditions when it was zeroed, which is exactly what I want to know when taking a shot on game.

I have the version of BulletFlight that is one notch down from the most expensive one and like it a lot.

Fitch

I read several threads on LRH and it seemed like a lot of guys were very happy with Ballistic. I also found the same thing on other sites and I told him about Ballistic. Well, he bought it and now finds that the only thing it shows him is a chart type display that shows the drop for different ranges. Evidently there is no way in Ballistic to simply input the range and get a readout on the screen for the necessary scope adjustments.

Hind sight is great and now, after looking at Bulletflight I see that evidently it does offer what Ballistic doesn't. I find it really weird that Ballistic would program in all the bells and whistles but not give you the ability to input a yardage and see the scope adjustment needed.

Give iStrelok a try. It is free and does what I think you are asking. Just input the load data, set the range and wind and press calculate. It gives drop and wind in moa, mils, inches, and clicks.

I talked to him last night and he had downloaded Bulletflight and said it does what he needs and it's also way cheaper than Ballistic. He's already got data for several guns in it and is a happy camper. Now we'll just have to get out and do some shooting and compare it to my LoadBase, which is the "Gold Standard" when it comes to ballistics software. :)

mildot10 by the same author as BulletFlight is another good program. It's an iPhone app that does the same thing as MIL-DOT Master for finding ranges.

Fitch

i use ballistic FTE for everything in the field, it works perfect. I like the HUD feature of the FTE edition over the basic edition as it allows you to quickly change your wind and distance inputs for instant calculations on the fly. Once you have your saved "profile" selected (aka. the rifle your using), you can get a required elevation and windage for any distance in a matter of seconds. The **** iphone will even give you you incline/decline angle of shot by aligning it along your barrel and compensate the trajectory automatically.

If you bother to learn to use it correctly, it will tell you how many clicks you need to dial on your scope, and much more .... you just need to learn how to use it...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.