I thought I understoood Remington action types but now I'm confused?

engineer40

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help shine some light on this for me.

I'm researching cartridges of what I'm going to change a Remington Long Action (I thought) to.

It's currently a 30-06. I don't yet own a rifle that has tons of foot pounds of knock down energy. So I was contemplating a 338 RUM. I've never done it, but my dad has always said reloading for a Magnum cartridge is a PITA but the 338 RUM is non belted.

While researching I saw a website that states Remington actually have 3 different action lengths; Short, Standard, and Long. I always thought it was either Short or Long, and that the 30-06 was Long. The Standard was new to me. So I dug a little deeper and found some more websites referencing Remington's "standard" action and that the 30-06 is actually a Standard not a Long.

On Remington.com I found they list 4 action types; Short, Short Magnum, Long, Long Magnum. That makes more sense to me from what I've always understood. And because the aftermarket stocks I have looked at only come in Short or Long.

Where is this "standard" sizing coming from that people talk about the 30-06 belonging to? Is there any truth to that?

Thanks!

Maybe this will put it in perspective...

Short = 308 Win. (2.800")
Short mag = 7mm WSM (I think...2.860")
Long = 30-06 (3.34")
Long Magnum = 375 H&H (3.600")

To confuse it a bit more...I think a standard long action Remington 700 will work with a full length magnum such as the 375 H&H...so who knows.

JE customs has a sticky about bolt face diameter on the "gunsmith" forum" it will tell you what calibers will interchange with the 30-06.....E

There are two main parts to an action, a bolt and the receiver.

There are two lengths of each, normally called long and short.

The machining on the face of the bolt of either length determines the cartridge. The two most common sizes of either length are normally referred to as standard or magnum. A 223 and a Lapua doesn't fit either category.

There are some differences in the machining on the receiver feed lips and feed ramp based on the cartridge diameter. I don't know the details about this.

Converting a 30-06 rifle to a 338 RUM will be a project. You need to start with a 7mm, 300, or 338 RUM action.

Thanks!

I don't mind changing a bolt or a bolt face if I have to.

My question is more in regards to, if I have a Remington 30-06 donor action could I rechamber for 7mm Mag? 338RUM? 300 Win Mag?

Or could I only re-chamber to things like; 270, 25-06, 280, etc...

This is assuming I'm getting a new barrel, and I can get the bolt and magazine to work.

Thanks again!

I posted my previous Reply at the same time Edd must have been typing his. That makes more sense now...

And I should have been asking if I can use the "receiver" not the "action" I suppose.

Thanks for the clarification!

Thanks!

I don't mind changing a bolt or a bolt face if I have to.

My question is more in regards to, if I have a Remington 30-06 donor action could I rechamber for 7mm Mag? 338RUM? 300 Win Mag?

Or could I only re-chamber to things like; 270, 25-06, 280, etc...

This is assuming I'm getting a new barrel, and I can get the bolt and magazine to work.

Thanks again!
You can do all those things, but unless you are doing the work yourself or your 'smith works for peanuts, if you want a magnum sell what you've got and use the proceeds to buy a MAGNUM action. There are two differnt magnum actions, one for the RUMs and one for the std. belted mags, like .300WM /7MM Rem mag. You will be miles and dollars ahead!

You can do all those things, but unless you are doing the work yourself or your 'smith works for peanuts, if you want a magnum sell what you've got and use the proceeds to buy a MAGNUM action. There are two differnt magnum actions, one for the RUMs and one for the std. belted mags, like .300WM /7MM Rem mag. You will be miles and dollars ahead!

lightbulbDITTO!lightbulb

I have an old 700 in a long action with standard .473" bolt face. I bought a take off Magnum bolt from one guy and a 7mm Rem Mag take off barrel from someone else. Put my old firing pin in the new bolt and spun on the take off barrel and waddaya know I now have a 7 Mag. Did it headspace perfectly while fire forming? Close enough, no different than the thousands of Wildcat chambers out there. I seated the bullets long and ran with it. Lots will tell you it can't be done so talk to a gunsmith if you're not sure. I know a few guys that had done it numerous times and they helped me through it.

My 7 Mag reloads interchange with my brother's factory 7 Mag no problem. A RUM is a whole other beast from what I understand.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.