I think I will take 'Jenny' on my mt. goat and coues WT hunt.

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Well the 308 proves herself again. :) The edge didnt fair as well. :(

After debating on which rifle to bring to AZ for my coues hunt and my mt. goat hunt later this week, I settled on it today. After a brief zero check and screwing around for a few minutes with both Jenny and Avril, I drove out to 750 yards and shot both my 308 (Jenny) and the 338 Edge (Avril). To be fair to the 338, I dont have alot of trigger time behind the 338 and the load could be fine tuned a bit but the results were typical. The 308 was picture perfect and the 338 was average. I have not had a chance to do a drop test on the 338 so I accomplished that today. After the first bullet was fired it was found to be .2 Mils high (about 5.5"). I brought it down 2 clicks and put the next one right in the X ring. Shot two was the same height but right (the wind fooled me). The third was quite high and left for a group of 10". Thanks but no thanks. I set up the 308 and dialed 16.00 MOA and touched one off. I say touched because that is all you have to do to get the 8oz. jewell trigger to break. After looking through the spotting scope I could see the bullet had struck right at 1" from dead center. The second was a tad low and the 3rd was just low and right of the first. The group was just over 4.5" Even though I would rather use the long range hammer for this hunt, I think I am going with what I am best dialed in for.

I admit it! I just needed to brag a bit! :)

The 750 yard 308 group:

HPIM1481.JPG

The 750 yard 338 group:

HPIM1480.JPG

Last edited:
Michael, good luck on your hunt. Gotta love those 308's but once that Edge is dialed in, look out. What is the build on your Edge? Is it a rebarrel off of the 300 RUM you were shooting for awhile?

Michael, good luck on your hunt. Gotta love those 308's but once that Edge is dialed in, look out. What is the build on your Edge? Is it a rebarrel off of the 300 RUM you were shooting for awhile?

It is. It uses the ABS barrel with a tight no turn neck.

I am ging to send it to Shawn next month for an all steel barrel in 30" versus my 28" ABS. I will use the ABS for packing and the steel for when I am wheeling.

Sounds like a great setup. I've been eyeballing the Edge posts for a while now and can't wait to move up to that level. Right now shooting the Milspec and my Hill Country pack rifle in 300 WM but always looking for what's next. I may go for a Sendero in 300 RUM and rebarrel to the Edge once the barrel gives up on it. Sort of the baby steps approach. Not sure yet though.

Sounds like a great setup. I've been eyeballing the Edge posts for a while now and can't wait to move up to that level. Right now shooting the Milspec and my Hill Country pack rifle in 300 WM but always looking for what's next. I may go for a Sendero in 300 RUM and rebarrel to the Edge once the barrel gives up on it. Sort of the baby steps approach. Not sure yet though.

I can tell you that I have bought into the hype on several things in the past. Rarely has any of it been what it was cracked up to be. However, I cannot say that about my 338 Edge. I got the edge not because of hype but out of convenince. I just capitalized on an opprotunity and have yet to be dissapointed. The barrel is holding up very well. MUCH better than either of the 300 RUM barrels I had. The wind drift issues are MUCH less than even the 300 RUM let alone my 308. Easy to tune and not real finicky.

I have yet to get super tight groups with the 300 SMK. I had phenominal groups with the 300 SCENAR but the SMK does better on game. It isnt bad accuracy just not as phenominal as the SCENARS. I meen she shot 10" yesterday at 750 with very inconsistent winds so I cannot complain. It holds right around 2" at 300 yards day in and day out. Very consistent. I cant wait till I get more experience with her.

Last edited:
You are right about bragging about it!!!
Very nice group on a 308 at 750 yards.
Completely convinced that my next rifle will be in 308gun)
Good luck on your hunts and keep us posted.

Well, no doubt you'll get her figured out. Did you build this off of a custom action or an existing 700 that you had?

It is a 700 action that I bought new. I built a 300 RUM around it with a heavy lug, Lilja barrel and McMillan stock. It is a switch barrel rifle. I had 2 300 RUM barrels at one time but now I have one 300 RUM barrel and a 338 Edge barrel. Soon to have another 338 Edge barrel. In short, the rifle is fully custom but the action is a remmy 700.

Michael,

What scope or spotter are you using to see the holes at 750? I can't come close to that but usually the mirage is running and the target never does get into complete focus.....

But even on good days I can't make out the holes in that kind of target much beyond 300 yds......

Michael,

What scope or spotter are you using to see the holes at 750? I can't come close to that but usually the mirage is running and the target never does get into complete focus.....

But even on good days I can't make out the holes in that kind of target much beyond 300 yds......

Using my swaro 60x. Dont forget I am also using the 'shoot-n-c' targets which make yellow holes on a black target. If the mirage isnt bad which it wasnt the other day, I can see the holes no problem. Yellow against black is the most visible combination to a humans eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.