I started with a 308 Win, and after thinking I'd move on to other cartridges I'm still shooting it.

Today with big bullets and different powders you can make the 308 close to the 6.5 creedmore in ballistics with just a recoil penalty. It is what I use in my classes for 2 reasons. Teaching the importance of recoil management and shoots the same from year to year. The 3 I use all shoot fggm1/2moa or better to distance. Watching students shoot sub 4" groups at 650yds makes you not want to change to a 6.5 or 6mm due to the barrel longevity
Recoil management with a .308.....vs? A .22..or at most.....223... really....if a person has a recoil issue below 300 wm...in at most a 6 lb gun...they might consider... BOWLING

except that many stock 308s have a long 1:11 or 1:12 twist which makes the use of some high BC bullets a problem.. plus they often come with a short barrel. The cartridge is great and if you barrel a .308 with 1:10 twist and 24/26" length, you will have a serious performer that makes use of its potential.
Go shoot some big bullets in a 12. I have 0 issues with the 195tmk in a 12 @ 34' above sea level at my home range. It won't stabilize the 230 Berger but will shoot 208 amax'es at 1200' This is in the winter with DA at -1500 to -2500 due to cold temps. I don't have any 215's right now but with this warm weather vs my typical wintertime shooting, I'd expect to see them shoot at the same 1200' above sea level range as the amax did. Montana Marine and Big n Green both have tested the 215 out to distance in a 12 and I believe Canadian Bushman has as well. They were using RL17 I believe. My testing with CFE and the 195tmk has shown 2704fps is where my rifle wants to shoot that bullet. It is seated beyond my magazine length so single loading. It shoots about 1 mil left the same elevation at 300yds as my 168/175smk loads It also shoots in that 1/4 moa range at 300yds so it is stable

Recoil management with a .308.....vs? A .22..or at most.....223... really....if a person has a recoil issue below 300 wm...in at most a 6 lb gun...they might consider... BOWLING
If what you claim was true then why the need for 26+# 6br variants in PRS. Shooting 1 shot or a group of 3-5 for the day is one thing, shooting 100rounds at a match is another.

If what you claim was true then why the need for 26+# 6br variants in PRS. Shooting 1 shot or a group of 3-5 for the day is one thing, shooting 100rounds at a match is another.
I've shot the big or bigger magnums from 338 Lapua to 458 Win Mag, without a brake, with no issues depending on stock design . There are times I want to spot my own shots so less recoil can be a benefit.

Barrels...First rule of 308 club...We don't talk about barrels.

I learned on a 308 (M40). It was the first bolt action I used and after I got married, my wife bought me 30-06. First I shot the sporter rifle I was shocked at how it bad it shot. I got spoiled I guess.

Today my 308 now sports a 20 carbon barrel for my neck of the woods.

Barrels...First rule of 308 club...We don't talk about barrels.

I learned on a 308 (M40). It was the first bolt action I used and after I got married, my wife bought me 30-06. First I shot the sporter rifle I was shocked at how it bad it shot. I got spoiled I guess.

Today my 308 now sports a 20 carbon barrel for my neck of the woods.
I really need to drag out my current go to hunting rifle, a Winchester pushfeed 30-06 FWT. I have a good supply on 190 CC and one box of 208 ELDM's. Been saving it for elk, but that'll be years before I can go. I might as well do some testing and have some fun.

Has anyone here tried Ramshot big Game or Alliant Power Pro 2000MR with 168gr bullets? I'm reading 2900 fps with those powders.