I started with a 308 Win, and after thinking I'd move on to other cartridges I'm still shooting it.

SWFA is a great deal. i rocked a 10x on my 700P for several years. it was a great scope for $300 as i was not making much money at the time. fast forward a few years and few more pay raises and i was able to trade it in for $150 toward a 3-15x when they were having a bundle sale. so the 3-15x came with a sun shade, scope covers and maybe a mil-dot master booklet and only cost me around $200 after the trade-in credit.

i'm a big fan of the 1-6 or 1-8's on AR platforms. it's like having a red dot and a scope. i'm not shooting 1000 yards with a 16" .308 gas gun but it would be more than enough magnification to get out to 600-700 yards for plinking as long as you buy a decent scope.
The SWFA 10X is outstanding and the 10X HD is on par with $2500 glass,

I'd like to look at a 10X HD but for now I'll just fix what I have. I have the 10X on a 22-250 which I've taken out to 800 yards steel. Got a chuck at 583 yards this year with it. My FAL I've shot out to 700 yards with open sights and ball. I may throw a fixed 2.5 Leupold on the FAL for shites and gaggles. I had it on my M1A and AR10 and it was fun out to 450 yards. My AR15 has a colt 1-9" twist so I'm loading 53 VMAX in it for varmint season. Cheapy Nikon Buckmaster mildot on there now. Fun stuff!

I'd like to look at a 10X HD but for now I'll just fix what I have. I have the 10X on a 22-250 which I've taken out to 800 yards steel. Got a chuck at 583 yards this year with it. My FAL I've shot out to 700 yards with open sights and ball. I may throw a fixed 2.5 Leupold on the FAL for shites and gaggles. I had it on my M1A and AR10 and it was fun out to 450 yards. My AR15 has a colt 1-9" twist so I'm loading 53 VMAX in it for varmint season. Cheapy Nikon Buckmaster mildot on there now. Fun stuff!
We shot Straight 10X a long way for a long time, I keep a SWFA on hand at all times

We shot Straight 10X a long way for a long time, I keep a SWFA on hand at all times
I'm still cleaning the red loctite off my PSS from the install my former smith did thirty years ago. It currently sits in Talley one piece mounts on my Rem 700 22-250. It's perfectly centered for elevation in those mounts. So once cleaned up I'll swap scopes and mounts on the two rifles.

If I use 45gr only speed charges,so yes it is my favorit. And yes again, I shoot lots of other calibers but if I had to choose one: 308

Attachments

• 1571820733283.jpg
    1571820733283.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 35
I figured I'd move on to other cartridges/calibers that offered better ballistics. The pandemic shortage cause me to dust it off and load for it again. It's still fun to ring steel with it. I may have to set it up to see how far MY limits are with it.

That's funny, as I've avoided the .308 for a long time choosing to stick with the .30-06. However, my Daughter has been shooting the .308, so because of the shortages I've migrated to a .308 to have more in common with my daughter when it comes to ammunition needs. I'll still keep my 06, but I'm looking forward to the first week in June when I pick up my new to me M700 in .308.

Today with big bullets and different powders you can make the 308 close to the 6.5 creedmore in ballistics with just a recoil penalty. It is what I use in my classes for 2 reasons. Teaching the importance of recoil management and shoots the same from year to year. The 3 I use all shoot fggm1/2moa or better to distance. Watching students shoot sub 4" groups at 650yds makes you not want to change to a 6.5 or 6mm due to the barrel longevity
except that many stock 308s have a long 1:11 or 1:12 twist which makes the use of some high BC bullets a problem.. plus they often come with a short barrel. The cartridge is great and if you barrel a .308 with 1:10 twist and 24/26" length, you will have a serious performer that makes use of its potential.

except that many stock 308s have a long 1:11 or 1:12 twist which makes the use of some high BC bullets a problem.. plus they often come with a short barrel. The cartridge is great and if you barrel a .308 with 1:10 twist and 24/26" length, you will have a serious performer that makes use of its potential.
Yeah mine is a 1-12" twist. I'm waiting for some 168 ELDM's come in stock locally. If I can get 2800 fps out of them I may be able to make it to a mile with the SWFA 10X.

Been a fan for years ever since boot camp just bought an m1a spring field its heavy though, mag pul stock, and a troy mounting system for the scope. The other one is a Christenson's arms 20-inch carbon wrapped beauty, lite as a feather compared to the m1a. Can't wait to shoot them.

I keep on hearing the old .308 Win is too slow, inadequate for long range hunting or target, a sawed off shorty not having the powder capacity like the .300 Win which is gradually being exceeded by bigger capacity rounds, and only a "nitch cartridge - specialized segment" or round for kids, women, & old folks.

Continually hearing this for over 50 years I have always had a 10 or 12 twist .308 and frequently shoot it to use up remnants of .20P, .204R & .223 powders. Works just fine using 125 Speer TNT to 178 Hornady ELDM bullets shooting up 3 inch steel @ 300 yards. Worked great @ 600 with 168's.