I shot a wolf today! Good Story, Bad Ending

Pretty sad state of affairs when the people who live in any given state cannot
manage their own wildlife in whatever manner they wish. Unless the States band together and throw the power hungry feds off their backs the situation is only going to get worse until eventually all wildlife will be on their self- coveted endangered species list.
Wildlife management is an area that by law is reserved to the states and the federal government has no authority to intervene in. In their greed for power and control they have usurped this authority in violation of their own law. Violating the law constitutes a crime. Unless the states rise up against this injustice the criminal activity will only continue and accellerate.
They must be held accountable for their actions and the only ones who can do this is the people themselves and the best tool for this purpose is through the state governments and the power granted the states under the US constution. If individuals take the law into their own hands (which I can see happening) you are in effect lowering your standards to their criminal level and
yeilding to their oppression. If the state governments cannot be moved to take a stand and oust the criminal oppressors (federal agents) through legal
laws and means then vigilante methods may become the only recourse available to the people. But first, an all out effort to right the wrongs being
imposed on the states and the people of those states needs to be fully pursued.

AK, good post.

I am very concerned about this because it is beggining to go beyond vigilantes and toward an all out western war like the old days. I am very concerned that wolves may not be the only thing getting lead thrown at it if someone tries to interfere in the remote boonies with some of these charachters. There is already a push by a number of Montana residents for seccesion from the union and a big push by Wyoming residents to follow Montana.

It took a hundred years, tremendous dedication and billions of hunters dollars to build the wildlife herds to where they were before the wolves. Now we have lost most of it within a hundred miles of yellowstone and that zone is rapidly expanding. We will not see it again in our lifetimes if ever. Tags not available any more so people lose interest in hunting. No game and fish departments any more because the hunters money pays there salary. Now where are we. Tags are severely reduced by wolves and hunters are losing interest because they can not participate.

The antihunters are happy because they don't care if there is no wildlife. Just as long as people can't hunt so no wildlife means they are very happy.

At this point there are people out there that will start a war if anyone interferes with them shooting wolves on sight. Out here it is SOS, shoot on sight for many. It is a crying shame our rediculous government has got us into this fix and I am telling you right now there had better be a government appointed council immediately on site out here to fix this problem and quick or I fear people will get hurt and things can deteriate rapidly. In my lifetime, and I went through the vietnam war, I have not seen such agressive divisiveness among citizens and government. The wolves have destroyed a large area of big game and expanding rapidly. People are not going to take this any more. Old timers that have hunted this country all there life and now can't get a tag are mad and feel they have nothing to lose but fight and make a statement.

I can assure you there will be a war on wolves legal or not. My fear is that it may escalate into something much greater and it is a shame the government is close to pushing good citizens into that realm.

Impressive comments. It amazes me that this matter has not being solved by authorities. Just hope somebody in the government gives these issue a serious thought and action.

This post is the first and only indication that I am aware of that indicates wolves in CO>

Ya just can't trust any gov't agency any more.:rolleyes:

Up until a couple weeks ago I thought the same thing Roy.

After hearing the first hand reports I did a little snooping and found 2 DOW confirmed reports of wolves in CO.

Please understand that I don't think any state will leave the union or that there will be a war. What I am saying is that when it is no secret that a large contingent in Montana and some in Wyoming have started a push for seccession from the union over forced gun rights and wolf issues that there is a serious problem that needs a fix. Some renegade judge in Montana making idiot decisions that are obviously very biased toward the antihunting contingent is certainly not the answer and is pouring gasoline on the fire.

If I can hear all this stuff is going on and hear very volatile rhetoric from good citizens then I know the government should know it. They should realize that, folks we have a big problem here, and try to take steps to fix it.

It is, IMO, unfortunate that the groups are calling for secession from the union.
I can certainly understand the peoples frustration and something needs to be done to rein in the federal government from the tyranny they are imposing on the people, especially the western states and Alaska. I believe however that
a better approach would be a joint effort by all the states (or a large portion of the states) to assert state sovereignty as provided by the US constitution.
To accomplish this would take a hugh effort by all sportsmans groups and shooting groups joining in one voice to pressure the state governments to enter into a joint effort to evict the federal government agencies who are
illegally usurping power that rightly belongs to the sovereign states. The feds will fight this tooth and nail. They have tasted power and will not reliquinish it
even though what they are doing is against the laws of the nation, ie, criminal
activity. They will arrest an individual for violating the law but they believe themselves to be above the law.
It's a hugh challenge. We need leaders and organizations willing to take the necessary steps to set things straight. Fighting this issue on an individual
basis is impossible and will lead only to increased tyranny.

That is one SAD video, it is a good video, because it is telling the truth to the american people, but is sure very SAD to know that is happening.

It just makes me sick at my stomach to see what is happening to you guys down there. This will have a long, LOONG term affect on hunting nation wide
and you guys are getting the brunt of it now. The situation is behind the curve and if all stops were pulled now and hunting, trapping and snaring with
no closed season and no bag limit were allowed there today I don't think there would be any chance of reveresing the trend in time to save a huntable
population of any of the herds. It will be a long time before they will come back in huntable numbers and probably will never recover to pre'95 numbers.
To deliberately impose this devestation on the people there as well as the wildlife is nothing less than bonafide criminal activity.

Well back to the wolf hunt, sounds like a good ending to me. you shot a wolf and you still have a tag left so you can shoot at some more. most ranchers have been making the same shot for years on purpose. they tell me a wolf's heart is 4"behind the last rib and 4"below the backbone. try to center your shot there, if it don't work try it on a different one. get out there and burn up some powder.lightbulblightbulb

This is a real eye opener. YouTube - North Yellowstone Wolf vs. Rocky Mountain Elk
It absolutley makes me sick. Introducing a foreign species (grey wolves) into the yellowstone eco system is every bit the same as the rabbits and toads in australia. You just cant put a non native species into an ecosystem and expect that ecosystem to remain healthy..

Well, it wouldn't be strictly accurate to to claim that they're non-native. Wolves used to be part of the eco-system throughout the West, including Yellowstone. The issue is just how many are allowed to exist. The way I see it, their prey used to have a lot more room to avoid wolves and that's no longer the case. When's the last time you saw elk herds out on the prairie where they could see wolves coming from a long ways off? So nobody misunderstands me, I think there are too many. But I have my doubts that it is a big enough issue that you're going to find 500,000+ Montanans who are going to vote to secede from the Union. Are you kidding in this Federal pork-fed welfare state?

Your right Bud, That is about where we found it to be and solid non-expanding bullets seem to work best. Just a little hole in and out so you don't ruin the hide you know.

"Well, it wouldn't be strictly accurate to to claim that they're non-native. Wolves used to be part of the eco-system throughout the West, including Yellowstone."

Not so my friend, this wolf is not the wolf that was originally here. Look at the old picture and paintings they are a smaller brush wolf, larger than a coyote. It is an absurd lie that there were no wolves here before the introduction of this none native animal. The wolves that were here were smaller, lighter, and ran in small packs like the size of a coyotes packs or in pairs. Trust me they were here and doing fine before these wolves were released, now we have no local wolves left just the ones that run in super packs and kill like machines. Odd how I can't hardly bare my rear end in the woods without a ticket and they can release animals into there non-native enviroment with an existing population and I still have to pay for that.:D

I've also heard a wolfs heart is way back in the ribs and it takes a solid bullet to get through to it gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.