I shot a wolf today! Good Story, Bad Ending

Troutslayer

Backpacked in about a mile and set a little camp near the ID/MT state line. We scouted around yesterday and didn't see anything except for a few whitetails. I spent the evening glassing a giant mountainside that is comprised of mostly scree, slides, patches of alders and cliffs. I didn't see anything there, but a few crows flying around a patch of aspens near the top led me to believe there were elk in there.

At first light I was sitting at the base of that mountain. After a while something caught my eye. An albino deer I thought. When I put my binos on it I realized that it was a snow white wolf! I ranged it at just under 400 yds, before figuring out how I was going to get a good enough hold to make that shot.

I had moved a bit to make the shot, and had the bipod resting on a log, the white wolf had gone up into the aspens, but my move revealed two more wolves feeding on a carcass that was in an avalanche scree field at 306 yds.. I was pumped. Then I head hooves coming right towards me. For a minute I thought they were elk, and that I would have a shot at them. Then I realized that they were horses, they came around the corner and saw me all set up for a shot.

They immediately got off their horses and part of that is my fault for telling them I was going to shoot. I got back in position, whispered to them what I was going to do and that they should shoot all the other wolves after I dumped one. The snow white one had disappeared and I feared that it would not come out again so I decided to take a grey one. I waited for a perfect broadside shot and when I had it, I touched off. Through my scope I saw a rock behind him explode and he lurched limping hard. I rechambered and by the time I was ready to shoot again one of the people who had shown up was set up on a tree and he shot. He hit the other one and I am pretty sure he blew it's leg off, he was sure he had done better. I had one fleeting follow up shot on my wolf and I took it though I think I missed.

Sweet, I thought. We just blasted two wolves. The other wolves were howling up in the trees above and we waited a while to see if any of them might come out. Then we made our way up the mountain, which took a good hour as it was as steep as it gets. We got to their kill, 4by4 elk and we started combing. I found a little hair where my wolf had been standing.

We went in to the alders in different spots. Those alders were so thick that you could hardly move unless you were on a game trail. We searched for several hours and didn't find either wolf.

In retrospect, I would have played dumb when the horses came by and waited for the white one to come back to the kill. They probably wouldn't have gone anywhere and I could have had a better shot. Live and learn. I have never been more upset after a day of hunting.

That's a great story but a very unfortunate ending. It's tough when one wounds an animal and is unable to recover it. No-one will beat you up over it more than you will. If you have never wounded and lost an animal you wouldn't know how it feels to be torn apart by yourself.

Do your best to shake it off and get back out and get some more hunting time.

Good luck

Good story, sorry to know that it is not a happy ending. Have you considered returning there to look for them again. Can you use dogs to look for them?
Keep up the spirit, if it is not this time, it will be next time. Good luck.

Troutslayer,

Great story and my opinion is that you did everything right including alerting the horsemen.

Don't take this wrong but two holes somewhere in two different wolves and you still have your tag isn't such a bad ending.

Next time I hope you will be more fortunate.

PS: don't forget incline angle and wind

good story troutslayer, too bad you didnt recover your wolves. Though it sucks that you wounded an animal at least it was a wolf and not an elk or something. up here in B.C they take there toll so hard on game its unreal. Thanks for getting rid of two... just think, the elk are much better off!!!

Good effort, I worked my hind of today getting elk out and trying to find a wolf but there were way to many people. Keep your eyes peeled and good luck!!!

Man I agree with Roy. Two less wolves in the area and you both still have your tags. I know you didnt intend it to end that way and that makes it ok in my opinion. As long as you did everything you could to find the animals. Sometimes stuff happens. I know it sucks to wound an animal but keep the faith. There will be other wolves to kill. Good story.

I hope about a thousand other hunters have your experience. The quota is never filled and the season stays in all the time. A few thousand wolves die and we start building back some big game herds and reclaiming our tags. Maybe if we can completely erradicate the wolves hopefully then in 50 years or so we can build back some of the big game herds we have lost to wolves.

Here in Wyoming it is very sad. We have lost all the moose and most of the elk within 100 miles of yellowstone which was the best hunting around before the wolves. Now there is tremendous hunting pressure on the few areas of the state where there are not as many wolves. Or it is impossible to draw a tag any more because there are only a few tags and everyone has to apply now in a very limited area when everyone was spread out all over the state.

We have basically lost our hunting unless we can acheive total erradication over the next couple of years by any method possible. If you don't live here and see it you just don't understand.

CO is next, Just returned from elk/deer hunt near Steamboat, and one in the group seen wolf tracks. Some other hunters told us about recent sightings.

It's just like here in WI they cut down the deer population up north and have been stedilly heading south for the last few years to greener pastures.

Troutslayer, I'm sure you spend quite a bit of time hunting in your neck of the woods. Unfortunately, there is always the chance that this sort of thing can happen. We definately owe it to the game we hunt to be at our best for a clean humane shot, but stuff happens. Your experience has probably been shared by 90% of the hunters on this site. I had a bad experience on an antelope hunt in area 680 about 8 years ago and still haven't been able to bring myself to get another antelope tag since. Maybe next year though, it's just getting past the mental block.

On the brighter side, I try to hunt five main states and I couldn't agree more with Long Time Long Ranger. I've seen great game areas in WY, MT, ID and several other states that have always been exceptional areas only to become **** near extinct. Areas where you could always fill a tag on the last day of the season and now you couldn't even find a track in there. It's somewhat unfortunate, but maybe there's a silver lining of some sort!!!

This whole wolf action really shines a light on how much biologists don't know, I think there are some FWP officials that are scare out of the mind of what the wolves have done. The wolves are literally killing of there funding and they can't just kill them because then the feds will come in an re-list them or BS like they did for the griz.
The wolves are one of worst wildlife mismanagement disasters, it took a lot of years of relentless killing to kill them back to they were at, the best things for dealing with them is poisoning and denning and that won't fly in this day.
We as sportsmen will need to try to protect the moose, they have been wiped out. The wolf will be the cause of other animals in the lower 48 to be listed as endangered species if sportsmen and there groups do nothing.

CO is next, Just returned from elk/deer hunt near Steamboat, and one in the group seen wolf tracks. Some other hunters told us about recent sightings.

It's just like here in WI they cut down the deer population up north and have been stedilly heading south for the last few years to greener pastures.

This post is the first and only indication that I am aware of that indicates wolves in CO>

Ya just can't trust any gov't agency any more.:rolleyes:

The wolves are one of worst wildlife mismanagement disasters, it took a lot of years of relentless killing to kill them back to they were at, the best things for dealing with them is poisoning and denning and that won't fly in this day.

So this bags the question... what kind of poison and where would one acquire it?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.