I seriously doubt this is case head separation but what do you guys think?

timberelk

All my cases from last time I shot have these distinct part were everything above the line is shinny/reflective brass while everything below the line is dull. Maybe the dull portion of the case is the part that expanded?

These loads were intro loads and this was the second time the brass has been fired. Primers look great and bolt lifted very easy after firing.

Green arrow is pointing to the dividing point between shinny and dull brass.

Cases were clean and shot in my chamber and then were put right back into the box. Did not touch the ground or any dirt.

Attachments

• 7FBE55FA-9898-48FD-9E23-89125F608954.jpeg
    7FBE55FA-9898-48FD-9E23-89125F608954.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 607
I also tried the paper clip test and didn't feel anything (but I've never felt anything via the paper clip method because I'm new to reloading)

The area that is still shiny...is that not the "case head area"?
So all the area showing dull or rubbing abrasion is the expansion area of the brass...
I would take a fiber brush and polish the inside of the dies and the chamber of the rifle.....I mean electric drill and hi speed polish...maybe even a little JB bore paste..

The area that is still shiny...is that not the "case head area"?
So all the area showing dull or rubbing abrasion is the expansion area of the brass...
I would take a fiber brush and polish the inside of the dies and the chamber of the rifle.....I mean electric drill and hi speed polish...maybe even a little JB bore paste..

Thanks for the info! Would that just be looks or will the polished die produce better reloads?

Are the cases growing excessively after firing?

Now that you mention that... yes they are.

I trimmed all to min length which is 2.025 and all cases are now 2.037-2.035. Max length per the book is 2.035

The cases semester to the same thing last time I shot them when they had never been fired before (new Hornady brass). All seemed to stretch to max brass length of 2.035"

When I FL size my brass, it only bumps the should back .002-.004

Last edited:
If they're growing .010" per firing and you're full length resizing, you're headed for a separation in a hurry. Have you considered neck sizing or a minimal shoulder bump ?

In your pic it does look like its from the die, if there not scratching your brass i wouldn't worry about polishing. Sounds like your bumping your brass back to far thats growing alot

If they're growing .010" per firing and you're full length resizing, you're headed for a separation in a hurry. Have you considered neck sizing or a minimal shoulder bump ?

When I FL size. It bumps the shoulder back to .623-.625. My twice fired brass's shoulder is about at .627. So the shoulder set back is only about .002-.004.

These measurements were via a Hornady comparator guage.

So the shoulder only grows .002-.004 but the overall case length grows .005-.010. What is going on?

This is a factory howa 1500 chamber

Last edited:
Are the cases you show in the picture just fired and not resized yet, or are the pictures of what they look like AFTER removing them from the sizing die? If they are fresh from the chamber after firing, I would think it is possibly from the chamber being rough. It doesn't appear to be case head separation.

And yet another variable...

I shot 4 factory Hornady precision rounds on the same day that I shot the above reloads.

Their shoulder started at .625

All 4 of the fired factory brass measured .627.... so that means they only stretched .002" which is what I've heard is normal.

So if my reloads are stretching .005-.010 but factory is only stretching .002" but I'm only setting the shoulder back .002-004" it seems like I have a serious flaw in my reloading techniques

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.