I read that 7mm mag guns can shoot 280 rem is this true

[ QUOTE ]
I read that 7mm mag remington guns can shoot 280 remington is this true

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the rag where you read it and put it in the outhouse for the paperwork. And, no you can't use the 7mag to shoot 280s.

James

Re read carefully what is written. both the 280Remington and the 7mm Rem mag are known by other names (as is the 6mm Remington. Either way, no, you cant... if you could get it to fire (which due to how both rounds headspace is not likley) it would very probably rupture the case, and spew nasty stuff... like high pressure gas and flaming propellant... from every crack and crevace on the gun.

[ QUOTE ]
I read that 7mm mag remington guns can shoot 280 remington is this true

[/ QUOTE ]

I THINK AN EARLY NAME FOR 280 WAS 7MM remington express these 2 are interchangeable ,,,,but definately not with 7mm
scirroco mag

† 280 Remington and 7mm Express Remington are interchangeable.
‡ 6mm Remington and 244 Remington are interchangeable.
from remington.com and i called them at 1-800-243-9700 and the lady on the phone said yes 7mm rem mag and 280 are interchangeable. Then i asked "so i can shoot 280 through my 7mm mag" she said yes you can. That sounded odd to me so i came to you guys. So if you wondering why i asked what seems like a dumb question is because remington told me a 7mm mag can safely shoot 280 remington. So has anyonw heard of someone who has tried this

so the lady was probably confused and thought that 7mm express and 7mm mag are the same thing cool cool thanks for the help scirroco

If she wasn't confused or just incompitant, which she probably was, maybe she just meant you can shoot the the BULLET in each???

However I doubt that she knows the difference between the boolit and a loaded round.

On the hand, maybe she had personally done it and the metal plate in her head was recieving radio waves from outer space when you called.

Well, "IF" a 280 Rem can be safely fired in a 7mm Rem Mag rifle, that would leave one to think the opposite would be true???

Try to chamber a 7mm Rem Mag in a 280 and see how far you get.

If you were talking to a lady at Rem, I am sure there is a misunderstanding. Perhaps she ment both the 7mm Rem Mag and 280 Rem are chambered in the same style rifle. Or as mentioned, shoot the same caliber bullet.

This is certainly not something that should ever be tried, EVER!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Alright Guys! Be nice now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but sometimes be-littling others makes me feel better about myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

She probably was in a hurry to answer your question.

Times are tight for Rem. She probably had to get back to threading barrels and cutting crowns. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.