I ordered the .338AM. Here is the list of components.

AJ Peacock

Hey all,

Talked to Kirby this weekend and we've settled on the following for my .338AM. Let me know what you all think.

1) 8.5" BAT action 1.55" diameter. Spiral Fluted bolt, light steel shroud.

2) 32" Lilja barrel fluted, Kirby's special Contour.

3) Muzzle brake.

4) McMillan A5 stock, black/white marble finish. Thumbwheel adjustable cheek piece. Flush mount swivel carry attachments on left side of stock.

5) Rifle Basix trigger with Remington Style safety.

6) 40MOA base.

7) Nightforce 3.5x15x50 NXS with NP-R2 reticle.

8) misc: ACI and level.

Nothing earth shattering in the above list. I haven't completely decided on the finish yet. I am debating about having all the metalwork Teflon coated black. Luckily, I don't have to make that decision for awhile.

Don

ps: Before I talked with Kirby to finalize the order, I had to go out and shoot a couple of my rifles. I think it was to convince myself I could actually still shoot! I hadn't shot groups out of my .243 or 7mm RemMag in a few years (one shot groups into deer don't count ;-)).

With a variable wind of up to 7mph, the largest group was a 4 shot .7" group from the 7mm (its an 8lb hunting rifle). I shot 3 groups just under .5" with the .243 (all horizontal stringing due to the wind). The vertical size for all three groups were around .1".

All groups where shot with just a bipod and hand holding the rear of the stock (no bags etc.)

You'll be strutting like a peacock when you get it !

My opinion -some red in the stock ,5.5 x 22 magnification scope [when would 5.5x be too much?] and yes i'd get the metal tefloned -flat black.

Just an opinion of coarse mainly b/c i really liked kirbys black sunshine rifle.

Can't wait to see yours!--Mike

AJ Peacock:

Another $.02 worth from my point of view. I've got to go along with Ol' Mike on the scope. Even though the Nightforce is a great scope and the glass is top notch, the ranges this gun will be capable of will soon surpass the capabilities of the 15x scope. If it was me, and that's just my thought, I'd go with the 5.5-22x56 also. I find that with my 5.5-22 Nightforce the long shots at small targets are easier than at lower powers. I've experimented with the power levels and even though you can do some great shooting at 10-15 power, the 22x just makes it that much easier.

Sounds like you've got a great project going. Keep us posted when you get the gun and start putting some down range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are over 40 years of age I would go ahead and move up to the 56mm objective /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. With the adjustable cheekpiece the extra height will be OK.

Black with white marble? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Live a little and go with purple with yellow marble or green with orange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I talked to Kirby at length regarding the scope. I've hunted with a 20x scope before and it was too much for the areas I hunt. A lot of angles up and down, tough to find and stay on animals after the shot. Since the reticle is only accurate at the highest magnification, I think I'd rather have the 15 for the vast majority of the shooting this rifle will be doing, however I'm sure there will be times that I wish I had a bit more magnification.

BuffaloBob, the 56mm's and larger that I have shot, where never real comfortable for me. I even like smaller than 50mm from an ergonomic standpoint. Yes, I'm a little older than 40, but have been blessed with excellent vision.

If worse comes to worse and I either need the higher magnification or the larger objective, my 7mm could get the hand me down Night Force and be quite happy.

The hardest decision on this entire project was the color for the stock. You see, I'm somewhat color-blind. I can actually see in the dark quite well, but have trouble with reds/browns/greens (go figure??). My LR shooting partner recommended plain old black, I couldn't just go with a single color so I decided on the black marble (like the one on the A5 page at mcmfamily.com)

Thanks for the input guys,
Don

Sounds like 14lbs. of junk to me but I'll take it off your hands in trade for my supersweet post '64 Win.,9th grade shop class project, chambered in .270. It will also shoot 7mm. magnums. I know because I tried it--once. Straight across deal but you pay the shipping. Don't even try to get my Tasco scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like 14lbs. of junk to me but I'll take it off your hands in trade for my supersweet post '64 Win.,9th grade shop class project, chambered in .270. It will also shoot 7mm. magnums. I know because I tried it--once. Straight across deal but you pay the shipping. Don't even try to get my Tasco scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good deal (for someone), but fortunately I already have a few of those and can't really use another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
Don

Im burning with ENVEY! I get to do that soon but Im still mixed up with which AM I want....and then will it be go for broke? or tear down one from the safe? : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AJ, exellent choice of glass for your project. With the extra 10moa of bars you should get to the 1400-1500 mark without cranking. Also, I don't know where your loaction is but you will like the 15x if you shoot in much mirage and still have the ranging capabilities at 15x vrs having the 22x and have to crank the power down to help settle things down abit.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.