I need your opinions

I like accuracy more than I like killing power.

I disagree with the premise you can't have both! Or that because it's smaller cartridge it's inherently accurate, or its user cares more about accuracy or shot placement.

Plenty of poor shooting to go around, and if we are using the used rack as a barometer, the shops here have enough heavy barreled .308's to choke a goat. Which is a cartridge I like, but I just always seem to find something I like more.

Bravo, I see your point with the bullet type. I still have my doubts that a the 7N1 ammo is comparable to a hunting bullet that we use, though it is clearly different than a standard FMJ. we may have to agree to disagree here, I have seen to many deer hit with hunting bullets AND I respect your opinion.

I disagree with the premise you can't have both! Or that because it's smaller cartridge it's inherently accurate, or its user cares more about accuracy or shot placement.

QUOTE]

Though I did not say you could not have both, nor did I infer that, I have to respectfully disagree here with you my friend. If I were a lead sled or gun vice, then I could agree, but because recoil IS a factor in accuracy, I have to disagree. of course, there are many factors in accuracy and so I understand that a 338LM may be set up to have x mount of recoil and say a .243 may have less, but if the guy is more familiar with the LM, then he may be more accurate, or the 338 may have a 2# trigger and the .243 may have a 8# trigger and so on.

this is why ports are not allowed in F-class shooting. its why all bench rest shooters have them. they reduce felt recoil and therefor, they have better shot patterns.

My original statement meant that at the current time, my opinion and preference or rather my goal is to make my rifles more accurate rather than give them greater terminal force.

Each game has it's rules, and limits. Each time technical advances arrive (muzzle brakes) rules and limits change. I use muzzle brakes, and yes they make my task easier, and extend the number of rounds I can shoot. I shot many sub 0.5" groups with my .375 H&H prior to muzzle brakes being available. Sub 0.5" groups don't make that rifle the best choice for long range hunting. No more than my .338 RUM with ATACR automatically qualifies me to shoot at big game as far as it's capable.

I should have been clearer LRH is what I'm speaking of.

I have a good quality .223, but it's much harder to make first round hits from 600 yards and out compared to my .338 RUM. For me anyway. Especially, over the broad range of conditions, at odd yardages. I wouldn't burn a .338 barrel out shooting at prairie dogs in a weekend, but there will be shots selectively during the day the .223 will get set aside for.

The LRH rifles advertised at the top of the page, guarantee 0.5", 3 shot groups, at 100 yards across the board, no exception listed for larger calibers. There are folks building LRH rifles that meet or beat 0.25", also in larger calibers.

The shooting that closest resembles LRH, is military sniping. The goal is the same-first round hits at distance, being the definition of accuracy. Each of the platforms they use come with specifications for ranges they expect that system to be used in. The longer the range the heavier the bullets tend to get. The .300 Winchester extended it's military specified range by increasing bullet weight.

While there are those that exceed expectations, given a large pool of shooters, in a large variety of environments I believe the bigger bullets win out.

At no time did I think you were being a *****.

Harper, I see your first shot point. an of course I suppose we all know that bigger bullets slow down and drift less than lighter bullets. because of that I see your points using heaver hitting calibers as long range killers. maybe I said this already, but I do have a 300WM that I enjoy shooting now that it is ported and have killed lots of Deer with it. as a matter of fact, I just about shot 2 with one shot last year, but failed to do so. I would have not tried that with a .243!

I suppose this boils down to a difference in philosophy. Because my first rifle was the 300WM, and I grew up on the crushing recoil of it, and then was able to fire a .25-06 a few years later, I realized that I could shoot more than one box on a Saturday!! having said that, I see that there would be some lure in the big boys at really long ranges, I guess I haven't gotten that far yet, but it may be coming. for now, I am still trying to jut get a 1000 yard kill.

cheers!

bushwackr

I hate it when stuff like that happens. Were I you I would take the 7mm Rem Mag and use as is for this coming hunting season (unless it shows up in time to rechamber). Buy some brass and dies (not all that much money compared to the other costs you will incur). After hunting season go ahead and turn it into the STW (unless it shoots lights out as a 7mm Rem Mag). And just think. You will get to have more trips to the range and the fun of load development this way!

As far as the 338s go, don't let a hiccup push you into doing something that you originally were NOT planning. I think you would love having one but you need to do some research before jumping into them as just grabbing a Savage off the shelf may not be the best way to proceed. For one, I would consider the 338 RUM, 338 Edge and 338 Lapua and decide which of those fits your needs best and THEN get the appropriate equipment.

I guess I haven't gotten that far yet, but it may be coming. for now, I am still trying to jut get a 1000 yard kill.

Brewer, I haven't got that far either. I'm also not fixed in my thinking, if the right .260 comes by at the right time, I see a hole in my safe that it would fit.

I am headed to Oregon for some longer shooting at rock chucks I expect to miss more than I hit, and put those lessons to work when I get back. Good luck stretching toward your limits.

I guess I haven't gotten that far yet, but it may be coming. for now, I am still trying to just get a 1000 yard kill.

cheers!

I understand this is a Long Range hunting and shooting forum, but a person should never be "TRYING" to shoot animals from long range. You should be "TRYING" to get as close as possible.

One day perhaps you won't be able to get any closer and if you are confident in your abilities, that long range shot on an animal will present itself. But you don't go "looking" or "trying" for that shot on live animals in the field in my opinion.

Now, varmints would be a different story, but since you are discussing a 300 Win Mag, I don't suppose you are using that to shoot prairie dogs or coyotes on a regular basis ;)

I understand this is a Long Range hunting and shooting forum, but a person should never be "TRYING" to shoot animals from long range. You should be "TRYING" to get as close as possible.

One day perhaps you won't be able to get any closer and if you are confident in your abilities, that long range shot on an animal will present itself. But you don't go "looking" or "trying" for that shot on live animals in the field in my opinion.

Now, varmints would be a different story, but since you are discussing a 300 Win Mag, I don't suppose you are using that to shoot prairie dogs or coyotes on a regular basis ;)
Man, you know some 125 Nosler BT's would be explosive in a .300 WM for LR varmints. :D

Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 125 Grain

We're all trying to improve, we're all trying to extend our limits, we're all trying to set our own limits, we're all trying to learn from one another how to set up, and practice for success.

I have shot varmints with .300 magnums, my next trip centers around a .338 RUM, and a .300 Winchester Magnum. I plan to make it a regular occurrence.

It is the Long Range Hunting site for the purpose of collaboration on how to make this type of hunting a reality, not an abstract mental exercise .

OK, so I want to make sure I give a good hearty chuckle to what mud runner said about the 125 .30 bullets.

Now for your comments DrillDog: LRH is a sport. I go to the store to buy meat, I hunt for sport. Having said that, I butcher everything I kill and eat it or give it to friends.

I don't, (and I think I can generally speak for those on this site here) take random long shots with out knowing where my bullet is going to land. I don't hold over about so far, I don't even do the calculations at home and the go to the field and adjust my scope. what I do is the math at home, go to the range, get really comfortable and then go hunting. I have a blind that allows for point blank shots all the way out to about 900 yards. I am not yet comfortable at 900 yards so I just look at the deer if they are that far. however, if there is one at 650 yards or less, I will shoot it. If there is a doe at 400 yards, I might wait for another one to be at 600 yards unless its the end of the season. I wait for, and take long shots on purpose!!! We all do, that is what this sport is about!! Its not about guessing, or taking shots we are not comfortable with, unless you are irresponsible. Hope this makes sense.

I am not sure why Varmints are in a different class of animals? because you want to exterminate them? rather than just hunt for food? not sure on this one...

Ah, one more thing. You might let God decide on the 'shoulds' of life. 'should' really belongs to Him. We have our opinions and that's OK, but I believe 'should' is above our 'pay scale'.

We're all trying to improve, we're all trying to extend our limits, we're all trying to set our own limits, we're all trying to learn from one another how to set up, and practice for success.

I have shot varmints with .300 magnums, my next trip centers around a .338 RUM, and a .300 Winchester Magnum. I plan to make it a regular occurrence.

It is the Long Range Hunting site for the purpose of collaboration on how to make this type of hunting a reality, not an abstract mental exercise .

I can respect that. I am always trying to improve as well.

The only difference is that I view long range shooting ability as a reserve skill that should be used only when needed, not a skill where a person sets goals to shoot big game animals at farther and farther distances. The farther you shoot, the lower the hit percentage which raises the probability of wounding and losing an animal.

I can hit paper at 1000 yards with excellent accuracy for hunting, but when I head out to the field to harvest game I am not looking to kill something at that distance. If my quarry is 900 yards away and there's a ridge 300 yards from the animal that I can get to in time to make the shot, I'm gonna head for that closer ridge. I respect animals enough to make the extra effort to harvest them with a high percentage shot for a quick and humane kill. That's just good hunting ethics. But to each his own. I am nobody to judge, just voicing where I stand.

I have a buddy that took a bullet to the chest (single lung) from a 7.62x54R at 1/10 that distance 10 years ago in Iraq. He made it, so much for shot placement is key. I highly doubt he would have survived a round from my .338.

or a non FMJ *shrug*

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.