I need your opinions (I'm new to this site)

Broken arrow

I've been watching the long range TV show and to be honest I'm very intrigued with what I've witnessed. Over the last 20 or so years I've mainly focused on archery hunting but as I get older I'd like to get back to shooting my rifles. I'm very interested in trying to set up a rifle for extreme long range shooting/hunting. I'd like for some input from you guys regarding what I need to do to accomplish my goals. My goals are to shoot 1500+ yards on paper and limit my hunting range to whatever distance (roughly 1200-1250 yards) my setup will allow me to retain at least 1200 ft/lb of energy. I have already did a little research the rifle I plan on using. However, I have not settled in on; scope, range finder, portable atmospheric condition tool (looking at the Brunton Pro), chronograph...

The rifle is a Sako TRG in 30-378 Weatherby with 1:11 twist rifling. I currently have it set up for short range hunting of whitetail. This gun has proven to be an excellent shooter in years past printing near same hole at 200 yards. This rifle has perhaps 80 rounds through it all ready so I believe it is broken in well. I do my own hand loading and have all the equipment needed to load bench rest quality ammunition. My tentative research leads me to 210 grain Berger VLD as the bullet of choice. However, I have not purchased these yet since I want your input. I also am looking at the Night Force 5x22x56 scope but upon reviewing some data on line there appears to be some US Optics and Schmidt and Bender scopes I need to consider? I realize this is much to ponder so

Scope recommendation

Chronograph

Atmospheric condition device

Bullet

Range finder

Anything I've forgotten or overlookedgun)

Last edited:
Welcome,

I'm shooting the 210gr Berger in my Weatherby 30/378 and they are ridiculously accurate. I'm also planning on trying the 215gr, and I'm sure Broz will chime in on their effectiveness.

You cannot go wrong with any of those scope options. I'm a huge fan of nightforce, and recommend them highly. Their customer service is fantastic as well.

Get a good rangefinder, and a tool for measuring the atmosphere... Many use the Kestrel. The Shooter app for iPhone is a must. It will allow you to dial up your shots.

Last, get out and practice. It's a lot more difficult once you start stretching out beyond 1000. Verify your bullet drops, and shoot.

--md

Welcome,

I'm shooting the 210gr Berger in my Weatherby 30/378 and they are ridiculously accurate. I'm also planning on trying the 215gr, and I'm sure Broz will chime in on their effectiveness.

You cannot go wrong with any of those scope options. I'm a huge fan of nightforce, and recommend them highly. Their customer service is fantastic as well.

Get a good rangefinder, and a tool for measuring the atmosphere... Many use the Kestrel. The Shooter app for iPhone is a must. It will allow you to dial up your shots.

Last, get out and practice. It's a lot more difficult once you start stretching out beyond 1000. Verify your bullet drops, and shoot.

--md

Thanks for your input on the subject. I have zero experience beyond 1k yards so I definitely have a learning curve but I'm anxious to get started.

I would go with the 230 GR berger. I use it in my 300 ultra. The TRUBLE WITH THE 30-378 OR THE 300 ULTRA IS THE barrel. It will be shot out before your good at 1200-1500yds. Get a 300 win. shoot 215 berger it will last 3 times longer then your Weatherby and you can shot out 1500 yds. Then us your 30-378 for hunting.

I would go with the 230 GR berger. I use it in my 300 ultra. The TRUBLE WITH THE 30-378 OR THE 300 ULTRA IS THE barrel. It will be shot out before your good at 1200-1500yds. Get a 300 win. shoot 215 berger it will last 3 times longer then your Weatherby and you can shot out 1500 yds. Then us your 30-378 for hunting.

I have brand new 6.5x284 and a 300 Weatherby I'll be practicing with as well but I want to get this 30-378 set up first. I'm really not to worried about replacing the barrel either. Down the road I'll start a project for super long range but this is my starting point. As far as the Oehler chronograph goes, I found one for $344 but want several of those whom know to convince me this is this best option. I don't mind spending money if it's on the best equipment. I just looked at the 230 grain Berger and it's not recommended for my barrel.

Yep......the 210 is outstanding.

Go for the NF...you will never regret the purchase...gauranteed. I recomend the NSX 5.5-22. 50 or 56 mm objective...which ever suits you. I would definately recomend the NP-R1 reticle. Also...the speed dial and zero stops are AWSOME!!!

Shooter app on the phone.

The best rangefinder you can get. I started with a bushnell..then Licea, then Swaro 1500, and now the vectronix. It was the expensive way to get to the vectonix!!!! If you can't range em, well, you can always watch em in your scope!! lightbulb

Kestral 3500 or 4500..with blue tooth.

I also add a little something to my scope for general shooting. A person doesn't always have enough time to range and DOPE with the electronix. The drops have been confermed on target. The top is dial-ups to 1500 yards in 25 yard incruments. The middle is windage from 300 yards to 1500 yards in 5MPH incruments to 30 MPH..all in MOA. The bottom is holdovers for the hash marks on the NP-R1 reticle. I figured all of that using the altitude and temps that I usually see. If the 10 day forcast is for way warm or cold temps I change out the dial up chart.

Most important is good load development and practice. Don't be obsessed with speed. Remember...that extra 100 FPS at the muzzle is only..say an extra 50 FPS at xxxx yards. The deer/moose/elk/sheep won't miss it. If you can't hit it, the rest is moot.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Tod

Attachments

• 20120411_075436.jpg
    20120411_075436.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 17
You may wish to consider Gunwerks G7 Br2 rangefinder. It has a built in "weather station" and calculates drops for your particular load. Review is here: Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Field Test
If your looking at high end optics then definitely look at Nightforce. Lots of satisfied users. For further comparisons on scopes you might go to Rifle Scopes
Koshkin reviews a lot of scopes and is worth reading his opinion. You might start with one titled high end tactical scopes East vs West. There is then part 2 and 3 on high end tactical scopes. Lots of good info on the "alpha" glass that is out there. Good luck. Bruce

:DVery good information here and I appreciate it. I will look at everything recommended.http://www.eurooptic.com/images/products/vectronix-vector-iv-binoculars.jpg

I like them so well I think I'll buy two ---NOT:D

SKU VRF-VECTORIVS
$13,200.00
Qty:

Not sure if we are on the same page here.....The Vecrtonix Terrapin is around $1850.00 delivered next day air. About twice what I paid for the Swarovski range finder. It may be twice the cost, but is ten times the rangefinder!!!

Not sure if we are on the same page here.....The Vecrtonix Terrapin is around $1850.00 delivered next day air. About twice what I paid for the Swarovski range finder. It may be twice the cost, but is ten times the rangefinder!!!

I saw the ones you recommended but naturally had to review the more expensive ones.:D

$13,200.00, now tell me how many units they think their going to sell at that price.

I have brand new 6.5x284 and a 300 Weatherby I'll be practicing with as well but I want to get this 30-378 set up first. I'm really not to worried about replacing the barrel either. Down the road I'll start a project for super long range but this is my starting point. As far as the Oehler chronograph goes, I found one for $344 but want several of those whom know to convince me this is this best option. I don't mind spending money if it's on the best equipment. I just looked at the 230 grain Berger and it's not recommended for my barrel.

Some great advise has been givin you!! If you think throwing $$ at long range will get you where you want to be your ****in in the wind BTDT Rebarreling is a bandaid that will have you backing up! The best money you can spend at this point is with a good class with a good instructor and putting rounds through the smaller rounds.
Long way around the barn but it boils down to there is a whole lot to learn, you didnt learn to run before you walked.

Some great advise has been givin you!! If you think throwing $$ at long range will get you where you want to be your ****in in the wind BTDT Rebarreling is a bandaid that will have you backing up! The best money you can spend at this point is with a good class with a good instructor and putting rounds through the smaller rounds.
Long way around the barn but it boils down to there is a whole lot to learn, you didnt learn to run before you walked.

True...a class would be a great thing. But...all the classes in the world ain't gonna help a man with **** poor equipment...or no equipment at all!! He isn't spending mony willy-nilly..he came here for advice, and looks like he got it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.