I need your input

bushwackr

I'm trying to prepare early, our local smith is really backed up and I may have to start now to get it in time .I have a chance to pickup a 7 rum, I was thinking of rechambering to a 300 rum, or a 338 edge. I am not sure if I will even need to do that. If things work im my favor I may have an opportunity to hunt montana elk next season. Does anyone use a 7 rum, I would use the 180 bergers , or a large barnes tsx. Is there a need to change the rifle. I am told by that the guys there 400 and longer shots are possible if the shooter can do it. I'm sure that 180 would hit like a hammer but I have little trigger time on any 7mm so i'm not sure. I would more than likely need to rebarrel to get 1:9 twist

Would I be better with a 300, or 338? I appreciate the info. Thanks all

The answer is, it is certainly adequate with good bullets.

I have more question about the rifle than it's chambering. If it meets your accuracy needs with a good scope. Not much else to know.

As far as accuracy goes not sure about that yet. I figured I would make sure that the round would deliver sufficient energy to do the job , if not I will get it chambered and the work on accuracy

Using rough numbers, and the G7 calculator at the top of the page, the 180 Berger, at 2900 fps, at 1000 yards is still going 1800 fps and yielding 1300 foot pounds energy.

I've never been a fan of foot pounds being worth a lot, the 1800 fps should still expand a Berger, placed where you want it I'd say it's good enough. Hopefully someone first hand will kick in.

Barrel life would be in the back of my mind, if it shoots good now, will it still be next fall?

The 7 RUM will do the job.
I just took a nice 6x6 at 600+yards with the 180gr Berger going 3100fps out of my 7 Rogue.
The 7 RUM I believe has more case capacity, so you should be able to get that kind of velocity as well.
First thing I would do is shoot it to see how accurate it is.

Last year at this time, I built my first 7mm rem mag. This year I took two whitetail and two antelope in 2 different states. 3 were bang-flops from 452-630 yards. The closest was an antelope doe at 405. I hit two lungs and tip of the heart. Most of bullet passed out the other side. She ran about 100 yards and face planted in the dirt.

I think your 7mm RUM will do the same or better. I used 180 grain Berger VLD's on some, ran out of them mid this season and finished with 168 vld's.

Last edited:
The 7 RUM would be more than capable to do what you need it to. I would hold of on any rechambering until you find out if it is a shooter or not. If it is, keep shooting it until you shoot the barrel out and then decide if you want to rechamber it.

It will not be a "rechambering", it will be a rebarreling and plan on $500-600 on the barrel and chambering. Not counting brake and bedding.

I would shoot the 7RUM until the barrel goes and then reassess what you want to do.

Get the 7RUM. Shoot it. If it shoots, use for your elk. If not plan the rebarrel project and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.