I need reticle and turret help, please.

I can easily hit a 24" Dong using the B&C out to 500yds (last mark when I'm zero'd @ 200yds). I can with the help of bag rest estimate the holdover and hit the 600yd dong 2-3 times out of 5 once I find the spot. ...

Does that make it an almost 5 minute of dong rifle?:rolleyes:

Try turning your magnification ring down until the last aiming point matches your drop at 600 yards and mark it. Even at a lower power a dong that size will be easy to see...

+1 bigngreen; If you want a Leupold, get the Greybull & never look back; you will have a usefull reticle w/corresponding elevation turrets. I wouldn't bother with mixing & matching when I can get the whole package in one shot. In the past I used the Boone & Crockett reticle on a 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot & wasn't "extremely" happy. 500yd hold was closer to 425-450 as were the corresponding holds, i'm sure I could have played with the power ring to make perfect holds but how many times would a guy have to change power settings to hit at various distances? Needless to say I sold that scope pretty quick, as stated before, different bullets travel at different drop rates; I don't believe there is such a thing as "one size fits all", but I could be wrong. If the Greybull isn't your type of scope, pick up a Leupold LR with the standard duplex reticle & install the KI or Leupold custom shop turrets built to your drop data & enjoy a much simpler LR setup.

Just another .02 of course, enjoy!

+1 bigngreen; If you want a Leupold, get the Greybull & never look back; --- If the Greybull isn't your type of scope, pick up a Leupold LR with the standard duplex reticle & install the KI or Leupold custom shop turrets built to your drop data & enjoy a much simpler LR setup.

Thanks for the info. And don't get me wrong, I would be pumped up to get a Greybull. But, when I can spend half as much on the same scope (since the greybull is a VX-3) with aftermarket turrets, then that's the route i need to go. So, having said that if anyone out there wants to give me a greybull scope...cool :D

Im liking the info on this thread so far...thanks everyone.

My Zeiss Conquest with target turrets and side focus arrived yesterday.
Nice, very nice.

If you get a chance, you really need to compare the VX-3 and the Conquest with your own eyes. As noted previously I this recently and was surprised by the amount of "fishbowl effect" that the VX-3 had. There was none with the Conquest. In addition, either one can accept a KI turret if you so wish, or just make a note of the MOA clicks needed with the target turret for your range and go from there.

Good luck with your optics hunt!

Doc,
Thanks, Ill have to go run by Cabelas and check out the two scopes side by side. Please let us know how it ends up shooting.

RS2G,
I just checked out Holland's page but Im not sure if im looking at the right stuff. Here is where I went: Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply -> Scopes w/ ART -> then I clicked on the Leupold logo and at the bottom of the list the VX-3 4.5-14x50 LR priced at $1250. Is that what they charge for the whole scope, or to install the reticle? Sounds like the whole scope.

I have a 4.5-14 VX3LR with M1's and the B&C reticle on my 7mmSTW and love the setup.
Using the balistic reticle calculator on my exball program I determined zero for each hashmark [confirmed at the range] and effective point blank range [10"target] for each hashmark at max power.

I have a cheat sheet stuck inside my flip up scope cover that tells me which bar to use.
Example:

Min Zero Max
Bar#1 326 401 453
Bar#2 464 511 550
#3 603 636 665

I set this up for the average elevation and temp I expect to be hunting.
My preference is to dial up but can use the reticle for a quick shot if distance and conditions are reasonable.

All that being said, out of the fifteen or so animals I've taken with this setup I've only used the holdover reticle once [mulie @540yds. the rest were dial-up or close enough that no come-up was necessary.

I called Holland and just for the ART Reticle is 450.00, and thats not counting the knobs..

Doc,
Thanks, Ill have to go run by Cabelas and check out the two scopes side by side. Please let us know how it ends up shooting.

RS2G,
I just checked out Holland's page but Im not sure if im looking at the right stuff. Here is where I went: Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply -> Scopes w/ ART -> then I clicked on the Leupold logo and at the bottom of the list the VX-3 4.5-14x50 LR priced at $1250. Is that what they charge for the whole scope, or to install the reticle? Sounds like the whole scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.