I need reticle and turret help, please.

the hunt guy

Hey guys,
I am wanting to order a VX-3 4.5-14x50 LR for my 7mm rem mag here pretty soon. I am probably going to stick with the finger click adjustments for this season and then order up some KI turrets next year or so.
I am trying to decide on what reticle to order with the scope. I was originally going to go with the B&C but am now thinking that it may be a waste of $$ if i'm going to eventually add on turrets that are matched to my specific bullet. Will Mil Dot or TMR work in conjunction with the KI turrets or is there a better way to go? Oh, and I'm hunting big game.

Thanks so much for helping this newb! :)

I was just in the same mode, and went with a "plain" multi-X reticle.
However, I purchased this model with target turrets from cameralandny as per the Classifieds here:

5214909920 4.5-14X50 CONQUEST #20 RET
Zeiss - Camera Land NY

I compared the Zeiss Conquest to the Leupold VX-3 at Gander Mountain this past weekend. The Zeiss is the winner and with the $250 discount for a "refurbished" model it was a no-brainer. The reticle is their "Z-Plex" which is the same as generic multi-X style (thinner in the middle).

And yes, I do own and like my Leupold with the LR reticle on my other rifle. But, for a longer range rifle this is the one for me.

If I was a Leopold fan I think I would see GreyBull Presision, then you would have a true long range hunting scope. The reticule is made for long range hunting and gives you hold off's for windage and you can get better set up turrets.

An Idea I have is using the B&C and the turrets. then you have a quick semi long range reticle if you have to take a quick shot and if you have time to turn turrets you can. Might be cool to have 2 options.

I have the vx3 6.5x20x50 LR
I sent it back to leupold and had the m1 turrets on it.
It has the varmit hunters reticle in it.
its dead on out to 600 and the turret has gotten me to shooting rock chucks at 100 yards.
this is real close to a m4 scope but has more moa travel in it.
After getting this set up and seeing the new cds dial all my leupold scopes will get pulled this winter and sent off to have that installed on them.
100_1098.JPG

An Idea I have is using the B&C and the turrets. then you have a quick semi long range reticle if you have to take a quick shot and if you have time to turn turrets you can. Might be cool to have 2 options.

Yeah, that's exactly what my plan was up until today. Im wondering if i should just use the money that I would have used in upgrading the reticle and just put that towards the turrets. I wish I knew how accurate the "one size fits all" reticle will actually be. decisions decisions.
It would be nice to have a reticle that has the built in ranging ability just incase something goes wrong with the range finder (ie. dead batteries, broken, snow/fog storm)

I wish I knew how accurate the "one size fits all" reticle will actually be. It would be nice to have a reticle that has the built in ranging ability just incase something goes wrong with the range finder (ie. dead batteries, broken, snow/fog storm)

I find it hard to believe that anyone can build a turret or reticle that exactly matches the trajectory of a bullet at multiple ranges.

Take a look at the Zeiss Reticle Calculator here (upper right hand of the page) as you can input load data or use factory load data (lower right side once you sign in).
Welcome to Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc.

1) Click on "Obtain Factory Ammo Data", or for handloads click on "Obtain Bullet Reloading Data
2) Enter any necessary changes to altitude, velocity, temperature, etc. and then click on "Submit Data".
3) Click on "Reticle Analysis Form" after steps 1 and 2 have been completed.

Then, hit "Auto Pick Reticle" you find the one that matches your load best, followed by "Optimize Power" to see what power will give you the best match.

For a Nikon, check out:
Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program

FYI, if it's a rain/fog/snow storm, you're not going to be able to see far enough to shoot long range and/or need your range finder anyway.
I always start a hunt (guided hunt out West, that is; here in MI it's rare to shoot over 300 yards) with new rangefinder batteries and spares in my backpack.

I have a rapid z 800 on my 25-06 and at the optimized power that thing is dead nuts all the way to 800 yards. I have also had great luck with the boone and crockett reticles.

I use the regular duplex reticle on my Leupolds. I then send the scopes to Leupold and have them put target turrets on them, when I get them back, I go out and develop a drop chart by shooting at multiple distances, then I take an envelope label and print the distances on there and tape it to the turret. I now can just dial to the distance (4 = 400, 5 1/2 = 550, etc).

I think the quick holdover reticles are never going to be dead on for your rifle, the hard part is if you learn to use in and then you go on an elk hunt with a big elevation difference than the place where you learned to use your reticle, then it will be off. Where as in your turret, you can just change the envelope label with the new data and you are ready to do.

What I do is I have a turret for Texas where I hunt most of the time, and the another turret for Colorado. So what I do, I keep one turret on my elevation dial and the other on the windage dial, then switch them when I need to.

-X3M

I find it hard to believe that anyone can build a turret or reticle that exactly matches the trajectory of a bullet at multiple ranges.

yeah, i agree, especially when you take into account that most every style of bullet (partitions, berger, accubond etc) will fly totally different. But some people say they are "pretty accurate".

yeah, i agree, especially when you take into account that most every style of bullet (partitions, berger, accubond etc) will fly totally different. But some people say they are "pretty accurate".

Actually, the reticles match any trajectory, but not at round numbers. For example, it may match at 198, 245, 297, etc. Instead of 200, 350, 300, etc., so you match your gun to your reticle, not the reticle to the gun.

As far as a turret, that is pretty simple. You can put the yard values anywhere you want and change it if you need to.

I have the Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x 40mm with the Boone and Crocket recticle that sit's ontop of my Rem 700 25-06. I can easily hit a 24" Dong using the B&C out to 500yds (last mark when I'm zero'd @ 200yds). I can with the help of bag rest estimate the holdover and hit the 600yd dong 2-3 times out of 5 once I find the spot. That being said, I am currently building a 300RUM and will be putting a mil line scope with turrets to be able to play in the 600 - 1000yd range using "come-ups" instead of holdovers.

gun)Straight...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts