I need help/suggestions!

FnSpr1akid

So this week will be my first time shooting 1mile -2k yards. Any tips to consider? I am shooting a 28" 300wsm with 208gr eld. I just want hits not concerned about total accuracy.

Without knowing where you are shooting and what kind of targets: Start early before mirage really kicks in, also the wind may be less. If you have the ability to film it will help you. Have a spotter?
Is an iPhone good enough to film and learn something from, or does it take higher powered equipment?

I use my iPhone and it works just fine. The quality of glass in your optic probably has more to do with quality of video.

Don't get on that too temperature only hitting 100! It's been getting pretty toasty about a hundred miles north-west of there all week long. Big targets and a good spotter are your friend --Especially in the wind.

Well you are going to have fun, IMO, target location will be your biggest key to success if you can control that.
Targets standing alone on flat prairie can be to tough to gauge misses, where targets with berms or backstops, or half way up hill just plain help.
Don't over think this and don't be over whelmed, it is hunk of steel. Get on the same wave length and your spotter, when he calls a correction, make it and let it fly, shoot that condition.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Targets standing alone on flat prairie can be to tough to gauge misses, where targets with berms or backstops, or half way up hill just plain help...Get on the same wave length and your spotter, when he calls a correction, make it and let it fly, shoot that condition.
Good luck!
This.

Don't forget that the bullet is falling like a stone at this distance. Ran the numbers in JBM, and the bullet is dropping at roughly a 5.5% grade. So from 1750 to 1770 yds (20 yds), the bullet drops about 40 inches (1.1 yds).

Even if you have a good backstop to see splash, if it's not right behind the target, you can get a false sense of drop. For example, even if your berm is only 5 yds behind the target, and you get a berm splash that appears to be a dead on in elevation, that actually means you're about 10" high at the target.

This can get even more confounding if the target is on a steep slope.

If you have the option, I highly recommend finding a huge piece of cardboard (or tape a few together), and put that right behind the target. Having a 6'x6' target board, or bigger, will really help you learn where your bullets are actually going, and will give you a sense of the "group size" you can expect at extreme range.

It is in cresson tx... 1000ft elevation...top temp is 100 deg F. I developed my newest loads at 500ft at 96F.

FnSpr1akid ,

Did you make your trip to TripleC Range , at Cresson , Texas , today Sunday 07/12/20 ?

I have shot there several times , and generally the berms behind the steel targets , on the 700-2000 yard range have had grass growing on them , making it difficult to spot misses , no dirt splash .
The location that I have always shot from , Ranges A & B , has multiple rows of steel targets , beginning at 700 yards and ranging out to 1700 yards , at 100 yard intervals ( 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700 ) , and arranged in parallel configuration with the rows of targets spaced approximately 10-15 yards apart . Looking at the rows of targets , from the shooting locations , the row on the farthest left side ( I call it Row 1 ) is made up of 1 MOA sized targets ( 1000 yards = 10" and 1500 yards=15" ). Row 2 is made with 2 MOA sized targets ( 1000 yards =20" and 1500 yards=30" ) . The odd numbered rows , ( 1, 3, 5, ) are 1 MOA targets , while the even numbered rows ( 2, 4, 6 ) are 2 MOA targets .
There are a couple of 1 Mile ( 1760 yards ) targets that are 2 MOA , in the rows of targets .
And 1 target at 2000 yards , 2 MOA , on the horizon , farther to the left of all the rows of steel targets in the shooting lanes .
All of the targets are equipped with strobe lights that flash when the targets are hit .
You are shooting across a shallow valley with the 700 yard targets slightly lower than your shooting position , and the farther targets progressing slightly uphill at 100 yard intervals , on outward to the maximum range of 1700 yards that is maybe somewhat higher in elevation than your shooting position , maybe 2 degree inclination .
The wind will be predominately from the right to left through the valley , even when the wind is directly from behind your shooting position .
If the wind happens to be in your face at the shooting position , then the wind-flow through the valley will usually be from left to right .
YOU REALLY NEED SOMEONE WHO IS A GOOD SPOTTER , as it is very difficult to spot misses , and my group of shooters has found it to be nearly impossible to watch the bullet-traces after the shot is fired .

Have Fun .

DMP25-06

FnSpr1akid ,

Did you make your trip to TripleC Range , at Cresson , Texas , today Sunday 07/12/20 ?

I have shot there several times , and generally the berms behind the steel targets , on the 700-2000 yard range have had grass growing on them , making it difficult to spot misses , no dirt splash .
The location that I have always shot from , Ranges A & B , has multiple rows of steel targets , beginning at 700 yards and ranging out to 1700 yards , at 100 yard intervals ( 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700 ) , and arranged in parallel configuration with the rows of targets spaced approximately 10-15 yards apart . Looking at the rows of targets , from the shooting locations , the row on the farthest left side ( I call it Row 1 ) is made up of 1 MOA sized targets ( 1000 yards = 10" and 1500 yards=15" ). Row 2 is made with 2 MOA sized targets ( 1000 yards =20" and 1500 yards=30" ) . The odd numbered rows , ( 1, 3, 5, ) are 1 MOA targets , while the even numbered rows ( 2, 4, 6 ) are 2 MOA targets .
There are a couple of 1 Mile ( 1760 yards ) targets that are 2 MOA , in the rows of targets .
And 1 target at 2000 yards , 2 MOA , on the horizon , farther to the left of all the rows of steel targets in the shooting lanes .
All of the targets are equipped with strobe lights that flash when the targets are hit .
You are shooting across a shallow valley with the 700 yard targets slightly lower than your shooting position , and the farther targets progressing slightly uphill at 100 yard intervals , on outward to the maximum range of 1700 yards that is maybe somewhat higher in elevation than your shooting position , maybe 2 degree inclination .
The wind will be predominately from the right to left through the valley , even when the wind is directly from behind your shooting position .
If the wind happens to be in your face at the shooting position , then the wind-flow through the valley will usually be from left to right .
YOU REALLY NEED SOMEONE WHO IS A GOOD SPOTTER , as it is very difficult to spot misses , and my group of shooters has found it to be nearly impossible to watch the bullet-traces after the shot is fired .

Have Fun .

DMP25-06

Thanks for these really helpful tips. I have been wanting to get out to TripleC to shoot one day soon.

Thanks for these really helpful tips. I have been wanting to get out to TripleC to shoot one day soon.

new2mud ,

Look them up on internet - triplecrange.com for full information .
If you go there , be certain to not exceed the posted speed limit of 15 MPH on the ranch roads .
If you are caught over the speed limit , you will be told to leave , and banned from returning . And I have seen a ranch employee using a radar gun on 2 different visits there .

DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.