I need edvice on rilfe choice

hogeybear

I have a browning bar from the 70s I belive is the time period it was made in 30-06 someone has offered to trade me for a savage 110 with a wooden stock in 7mm rem mag. I am very interested in the round and both gun would have to serve the same general purpose, deer, elk, hog, and potentially bear which one is more capable and which is a better gun? I know the browning is nice and very accurate for an auto loader, I've never fired a savage. Message or respond with edvice thanks.

This is really a preferences question, meaning either can likely meet the minimal parameters you set. Which do you like best?

If you know the BAR's capabilities and it works for you why take on an unknown? I'd say if there is a way verify first hand just how the Savage shoots that could help make up your mind.

Not much to choose from between the 7mm magnum, and a 30-06, I would prefer hand loading for a bolt action.

The different rounds aside...no way I would trade a BAR for a Savage...not without a substantial amount of cash to go with the Savage.

Rifle for rifle...its a bad trade...the BAR for the Savage and at least $250 (maybe more, depends on the exact version of BAR) makes it reasonable in my opinion.

Savage are decent rifles...but the Browning BAR is a premium rifle, even if its not a "long range" rifle.

I wasn't planning on across the board trade but thanks for looking out. I don't know the actual value of this particular gun all I know is its Belgium mad and I think it's from the 70's I've seen so many different asking prices I have no clue what the a good price would be Or value of the gun. I do know I got it for a steal as fair trade for a sig p220 that I didn't pay more than 400 dollars for. It's a great gun Ive just never used it in the field. As far as I know the 7mm surpasses the 06. I can do a little more reaserch to be sure. Thank you for the information and help!

Bear, hang on to the BAR, it is worth far more than the Savage. I sold mine when I was in my teens and still wish I hadn't to this day. As mentioned, nothing against Savage but this is apples to oranges. Good luck with a bolt rifle if you get one.

keep the BAR. This is a long range hunting forum and BARs aren't really Long range guns but... BARs are pretty awesome rifles that fetch a pretty penny.
Savages are pretty run-of-the-mill.

I have one of those older BARs, also made in Belgium. Mine is in .270 and with the right ammo it will shoot .75 all day! I know lots of guys like Savages ( So ugly I can't stand the sight of them, but that's just me :)) You could sell that BAR for at least $600-800 on gunbroker and put the money toward a long range rig of your choice. OR, you could do the trade, for some cash along with the Savage, and be happy as a pig in slop. My relatives down in SE Texas use/love those Savage 110s in 7mm Rem Mag, they are one tough rifle and usually accurate right out of the box! Life is too short to agonize over it, enjoy yourself with whatever you decide and have no regrets friend!

Save it and offer the guy $300-350 for starters and go from there.
+1 if you can get the Savage for a good deal, you can learn with it. Then if you continue gaining interest in Long Range Hunting, you could slowly upgrade the rifle until it suits your needs and likings. The Savge 110 is an excellent factory action to build off of, and you can make a very nice rifle out of them. They also shoot really well in factory form with a little bedding and a free floated barrel!

I can give you "edvice on rilfe choice", but it won't help you when choosing a gun. :D

My suggestion, is to keep the BAR, and save up for a bolt-action, like the Remington 700 Long Range, or something like that.

I can give you "edvice on rilfe choice", but it won't help you when choosing a gun. :D

My suggestion, is to keep the BAR, and save up for a bolt-action, like the Remington 700 Long Range, or something like that.

Also some good advice. My 700 Long Range is proving to be a very nice rifle. By the way Mud, I shot it the other day, check my thread about it.

+1 if you can get the Savage for a good deal, you can learn with it. Then if you continue gaining interest in Long Range Hunting, you could slowly upgrade the rifle until it suits your needs and likings. The Savge 110 is an excellent factory action to build off of, and you can make a very nice rifle out of them. They also shoot really well in factory form with a little bedding and a free floated barrel!

Yep, http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.