• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

I need a rifle for Alaska...

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint

I have a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger. It has a few handling marks, but has never been fired

I have a 358 STA barrel for a 700 Remy. Shot a moose at 360 yards. Shoots a 225gr.(?) Barnes very well. Have no more trips to use it. Would be willing to sell , along with dies, bullets, brass, if you are interested.

Ruger stainless 338 win mag is awesome for Alaska .If you ammo gets lost 338 is easy to find in Alaska .I used one then changed to 338-378 weatherby for longer range .I was there 12 years .My longest shot was on caribou with the 338-378 and it was 450 yards .My hunting buddy shot two with one shot at that range with that rifle .

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint
lived in Alaska over 30 years and bagged 3 grizzly's several black bear and couple of caribou. The replies i read are spot on 338 WM. good choice. not familiar with some of the newer ones mentioned but need something big enough to knock them down as they sometimes/often get right back up. time to place second shot needed. Any should be equivalent to 300 WM or bigger. Good luck and it sounds like there are several guys with great choices.

Hey all,

Thank you all.

Clint

Remington 700 custom shop 375 rum also a 458 winn mag that loves 400 gn trophy bonded bearclaws

I have an Ed Brown 340WBY for sale that would do the job.
I also have Redding dies and Nosler brass I could add to the package at a deep discount.

I have a Browning Safari 375 H&H with Leupold Vari XIII 1.5-5 and a spare Fagen stock as new condition. IMG_1337.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 8
I've been messing around testing penetration and expansion of a few bullets,
1st pic is exit of the 300 SAUM 180 Sierra BTSP and the one on the right is 180 PP partition.
2nd pic is the exit of my 338/06 with 225 Partition, to tell you the truth I'd feel safe with either loads or rifles at reasonable ranges.

the exit in top right is from my smokeless ML 275gr 40 cal bullet
CCBDAE50-3173-46BE-95B5-9C850F2B8899.jpeg
1AA54510-F974-4D24-9B03-04CD604749D2.jpeg