• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

I need a rifle for Alaska...

Buckfever34

Hey all,

Figured I'd post up a WTB just to see what's out there. I have a trip planned to Alaska next year. I'm accompanying a friend on a Grizzly hunt, and if we have luck we will try and chase after Caribou. Needs to be a gun worthy of being carried in Grizzly country. I'm sure I have several that would work just fine but who doesn't want an excuse for a new rifle.

Thank you all.

Clint

There's been some nice hammers on here, a friend who is a guide up there shoots a 338 and none have run off yet.
He says out to 600, but the wind in the flat country makes stalking most important.

Look at https://vasilentarsenal.com/, they make some wicked cool WSM in knock out calibers, like 358, 375, 458 and more, plus if you video the kill on a grizzly with the gun. The GUN IS FREE. Crazy right. I know Ritchie the owner, super cool guy and very knowledgeable and Willing to share his experience. They were able to get the 338 WSM to work after Winchester wasn't able to. And they make them work in AR platform as well as bolt and lever guns, pick your flavor.

338's are cool but guides in Alaska are not going to let a 1st time Griz hunter shoot at one from long range (past 300 yards, not going to happen). If you don't have a Brown Bear/Griz Tag the "Guide" by law can not allow you to back-up your friend, that's the "Guide's" job. Now if your forking over $10k-$15k and buying all the tags to go with a hunt of this magnitude, get something that leaves a large wound cavity. 340 Weatherby, 375 H&H/Ruger or 45-70 come to mind, the 340 Weatherby would be my choice because you can reach out to 400-500 yards on a Caribou if need be.

Good Luck, sounds like a fun adventure...don't forget your Deet!

find a 338wm, 22-24" barrel, ss if possible. run a good 225-250gr bulelt at decent speed and it will kill. took both my brown bears and a couple caribou with a 338wm loaded with 250gr hornady interloks. the barreled action from tikkamike would be an excellent place to start.

I have a Remington 660 in 350 Rem Mag I would potentially part ways with if you were interested. Should work for what you are after.