I need a new rifle... wanna help?

I thought I'd throw Dave a loop with the 7mm WSM. George is trying one out for himself. Thought maybe Dave would dare to be different.
Since he called today, however, it sounds like a 300 is in the works.
If George didn't fill you in Dave, let me know....

Chris

Yeahhh... Probably a 300 WSM...

A new 26" G Schneider barrel, probably Rem 700 but definately an A5 (Desert camo... got any cluttering up the place over there). Badger clip slotted base (**** I like those). Rem trigger @ 2.5#, fix the bolt handle if needed (torxs augment). I'm thinking of shooting the 155 Lapua Scenar or the 175 Sierra (about the same length and bearing surface on both, same BC).

Let's discuss the operational and practical difference between the Badger floorplate with long Wyatt's box mag and the H-S floorplate and detachable magazine(s). I NEED reliable feed and expect to shoot this in competitions (and win), don't want to end up cussing instead of shooting (the M14 to Rem 700 magazine conversion scenario I see so often... )*&^#$@ gun @#@$&^* locked up %%#$@^^% SOB )

I believe I can swing a kitchen pass easily enough... I'm headed out on an Alaskan cruise with her in July after MANY YEARS of begging on her part (busman's holiday for me).

Only a few minor details... Badger or H-S floorplate, metal finish color (lighter would be good with the desert camo... multi-color aaahhhhh)

Is it done yet???

[ 12-17-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Yeah, its done. In point of fact, it went out three day UPS yesterday. Let me see if I spelled your name right....Ric.
Oh that's right I finished Ric's gun yesterday!
tongue.gif

If you are using the 175 or 155, and to compete with you might want to go with the HS mags. The Wyatt's will hold two and doesn't reload the fastest.
HS would be the ticket for speed drills, etc.
Tan teflon to go with the desert A5.
What's the pass for? You coming to see me?
Take a shower first, oh...wait... that's Ric that smells....
grin.gif

Dave,

Just think...

Right now I get 3000 fps with the 168's, 175's and no pressure signs. This is from a 25" 12T barrel. That 155 bullet is gonna sizzle....
If you're gonna shoot comps. with the 300 WSM your dope will be next to nothing compared to the 308, 6.5 shooters. Your Moving leads should be a heck of alot easier. Been looking at the HS mags. for my next toy.. ( Chris suggestion ) I have to agree go with HS for the comps.

Hey sorry man, Chris did spell your name right R I C and your address is now WY and Not MD! I'll tell you what, since you're being such a good boy and taking the "little woman" on her cruise.. ( #1 rule. always keep the little woman happy) I'll bring the A5 300WSM to harrisburg and let you fondle her....
wink.gif

I'll take my weekly bath before I see ya in Hburg.... no worries...

Now if I could only get this constant 20mph wind to die down and get some trigger time in!
mad.gif

[ 12-18-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

Chris

I need the "kitchen pass" to spend the money...I've recently (last 8 months) spent so much on stuff for my son and the other troops in Iraq that I don't have any "found money" left.

Tan teflon could be nice.

I have the H-S mag system on my Gumby 243 and I have an extra larger mag too...nice setup. Probably be good for the 300 WSM but I'll need an extra mag just in case one walks.

Tell me about match sight bases... I'll probably use the Redfield Internationals and would like a setup like on the M24... take the scope off and install the sights (base intact).

Ric

It's a LOT nicer around my house when she's happy... When she gets ****ed (getting worse lately too) it's like the knife throwing act at the circus and I'm the one on the spinning wheel!

Yeah, bring that puppy to Harrisburg. Cheryl and I just made reservations at HoJo so we'll be up for two days at a minimum.

On the subject of the Wyatt's long mag. conversion vs. H-S clip I have a question. I have a Rem. 700 sa .300WSM that has had the Wyatt's conversion and as you said it will only hold 2 in the mag. I'm not very pleased with that setup. How many rounds will the H-S clip hold and how much shorter will I have to seat my bullets to function in the clip? Will converting it to a H-S clip be a problem considering the machining that was done on the receiver for the longer mag? I haven't looked at the H-S clip setup to see how it is mounted. Is it just like standard BDL bottom metal?

I think you could go back to the HS mags, since they feed out of the mag. The Wyatt's is about 0.100" longer than the HS so the loads would be approx. that much shorter. Using 308 mags, they hold three WSMs. The 10 rd mags hold 7 WSMs.

Dave, call me in the morning and we'll get this thing started.

Dave,

Here she is..

14lb.s as you see it. rifle/scope/bi-pod

I'll have better pics tomorrow...

Woo Hoo!
PC193513b.jpg

Ric

I hate it when you do that
smile.gif

Looks real nice... I'll bet you got yelled at a bit for that one.

Is that the Badger Brake?

Dave,

Nope.. didn't get yelled at.. remember what I said " keep the little woman happy"? I made sure she was happy before this arrived!

That's not a Badger break it is an OPS Inc. THat was a recomendation from Chris.

Here's the link..

OPS Inc Break

Okay

Just ordered the rifle...

I believe this is correct.

300 WSM (short throat for 175 Sierra MK)
Rem 700 SA Stainless
Badger recoil lug
Rem trigger at 2.5 lbs
Schneider 26" M24 contour barrel 1x11 twist
Badger floorplate, scope bases and rings
Pinned bolt handle (extra screws so I don't pull it off.)
M24 front and rear sight bases (Redfield type)
A5 (sniper fill) 3 swivel (Wichita for sling)
Desert Camo on stock
Matt OD teflon metal finish

Did I miss anything Chris??

Dave,

Good choice way to go!!.

I have loads for that 175 for ya...
you should get 3000 fps easy and maybe 3100 from it...
The only thing I see missing is are you going with the Wyatts or with the HS mag...
With that sniper fill you shouldn't need a break.

hey check out the results from mine under the other thread...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.