I need a little help here

SgtRenfro22

Hello all and thank you in advance for any input and help

I have a savage 111 in 7mm rem mag with a Falcon Menace 4-14/44 scope and Ultimate Sniper stock. I still have the original 24 inch barrel on it and the factory trigger. Using hornady 156 gr sst rounds I'm shooting sub Moa groups at 100 yards. I have reached the max range of this setup at 1200 yards on a 12/12 inch target.
I want to convert to 338 lapua but I haven't been able to find any info on wether this can be done or not. I'm not worried about having it be a repeater for it is already a single shot gun any way. I'm just looking to see if I can switch the barrel, bolt face and recoil lug. I would like to get a 111 LRH factory barrel to put on but can't seem to find one

Thanks for the input and happy shooting Hooah

If you are leaving it as a single shot, I would go .338 edge. You can get a savage pre-fit from Mcgowen outlet and you don't need a new bolt face. Just a thought.

Single shot only.

Pre-fit Savage barrel. You can find it when you type "pre-fit savage barrel", depending the coutour. Midway, Brownells, etc...

Change the bolt face from .535 to .588 from Midway or Pacific (may need new needle? not sure)

If you plan to use 338 Lapua with 300gr Berger OTM, you may have to push the bullet down if the gunsmith use the standard 338 Lapua reamer. Tell him to drill the throat a bit longer for 300 gr bullet.

Otherwise, use 338 Norma Mag which is a bit shorter than Lapua and you can push the bullet further.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the input,
I have decided to just re-barrel the gun in 7mm rem mag but with a 30 inch full bull and go from there. I'll just buy a savage 111 lrh in 338 lapua it seems safer and I'm not trying to hurt my self doing what I love :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.