I need a good all around pistol! Any Ideas?

I need a all round every situation concealable pistol

• Ruger LCR .357

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Springfield XDs 45 ACP

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Glock 32 45 ACP

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Kimber Pro Carry II

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • XDM compact 45 ACP

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
I'll throw in another vote for the 1911. I own a Colt Series 80 and have never had any issues with it, and it is a very accurate firearm. My carry gun is an H&K USP Compact in .40. Going with something like a 1911 or Glock will make your life a little easier when it comes to buying accessories for it.

1911 or xd cant go wrong. I have a friend tha has a ruger lcr .357 and it felt like getting kicked in the hand by a mule and flipped as hard too. quik follow up shots not likely with that one even with .38+p recoil was pretty severe. I also like the beretta 92 9mm has pleanty of power, low recoil, cheap ammo, and high mag capacity.

Go with the XD or the M&P!

Carried a 1911 for years in the military, but the the new guns just surpass them in feel, capacity and ruggedness out of the box. You will have to spend 2-3x for a 1911 that works over the M&P or XD.

IMO glocks are clunky and the grip angle will drive you crazy. Plus more negiligent discharges happen with Glocks than any other sidearm.

Just something to think about. If you are really going to carry this while hunting in an outside position available for quick access, that gun is going to get dirty. I continually have sticks and pine needles and a coat of dirt on mine while hunting. I just can't avoid it if I want quick access to it, which I do, so it sits on my backpack belt. I have a number of pistols and have had excellent luck with them not jamming but I personally would be a bit hesitant to trust a pistol in that kind of environment with a grizz or wolf or cat looking down my barrel! I would personally look at a revolver for this type of carry. You have a 41 mag, there are some great light weight options for that cartridge.

Maybe add a compact version in 41 then get a pistol that you and your wife can both handle. I really like the XDM series. Kimber would be my next choice.

Scot E.

My EDC is a XD45C. It is a great gun, and being a small guy, I can conceal it very eaasily, with the short 10 round or standard 13 round magazine. I have, not a lot, but over 3k rounds through it and it has been flawless

2 years ago, I started to carry a Kimber Pro Carry II. I haven't looked back.

No matter what you choose, spend some time looking for a holster you are comfortable with. That time will pay dividends in the long run. The holster needs to:
A) conceal completely
B) allow you reasonable access.
C) Retain the firearm securely and
D) It must be comfortable at all times.

And don't forget a spare mag.

full frame I like both 1911 and 92 varients, I never shot one but I've heard good things about Rugers SR line. Better hit what you shoot at with those though, sure wouldn't want to have to throw it at anything lol.

Oh! I know! Get a Hipoint

Might take a look at S&W's M&P line you can get them in about any caliber you want from full size to compact. Very dependable and you can change out the palm swells to fit your hand size.I like my 40s&w, that said my full time carry is an springfield EMP small concealable and most importantly shoots where you point it.

Kyle, ditto for the Smith and Wesson line. Look at their compact 40 line---the pm40 i think. Extremely lightweight, 6 and 7 round magazines, very compact and the 40 is a good cartridge. I am also a 1911 fan but I think that the M & P line is very good. Which ever one you get, get one that you will CARRY. It ain't gonna do any good unless it is on you. I always carry something on me and most of the time it is a 5 shot 22 mag.

Randy

full frame I like both 1911 and 92 varients, I never shot one but I've heard good things about Rugers SR line. Better hit what you shoot at with those though, sure wouldn't want to have to throw it at anything lol.

Oh! I know! Get a Hipoint

Joe, you're killin me! At least with the hipoint, you can always use it for a truck jack..............

Randy

I love the 1911, but for back woods packing most are pretty heavy.

The LCR in .357 is pretty snappy. I only shot 38s out of the one I had a chance to shoot and has a bark. I'd say it'd be quite snappy with a heavy .357 load. If I was going to do a .357 with your intended purposes I'd get a SP101 in the new 4.2" barrel or if you want it more concealable get the 3". Downside to any of these 357 is you've only got 5 rounds.

As suggested above, my mountain gun is a 9mm in a XDSC . It packs 14 rounds in a small, very shootable package IMO. Throw in the 16rd mag if you want extras. I also easily conceal this when I'm where I feel I need it hidden (rare occasions).

I've also shot a friends SR9C and it was a good shooter. Given the right ammo I'd feel very capable with either of these 9mms.

Oh, Glocks are good, but don't point and feel natural to me FWIW.

I have a whole gun safe full of pistols, revolvers, semi auto's, you name it. I have hand guns I've never shot, bought them because.....

Interstingly, my favorite carry gun is my Bond Snakslayer, 2 shot 45-410 derringer.

If you need more than 2, you are dead anyways.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.