I need 3K fps for my hunting loads.

HRstretch

Or do I. I try to reach the highest velocity, with the most accurate loads for my hunting rifles. I feel the most comfortable/confident, if my loads are at or near 3k fps muzzle velocity with .5 m. o. a. sight in loads . Just seems to Me, I get better terminal performane and wound channels from all my bullet choices running at or above 3k fps.

Most of my loads are not max loads but just at or under pressure signs. Only one is above book , but that' a load for someone else and it' his choice. Seems to me most of my accuracy loads are about 1/2 grn. off max book loads. Some of my accuracy loads aren't near book max and my velocities are no where near reported velocities for those calibers, but accurate for the gun.

Speed kills but has a down side of meat loss. I Usally hunt either small acreage or thick stuff. I prefer massive damage on the systems to keep my prey from reaching a property line or a thick mess of thorns, teeth, or fangs to follow through.
Anyway just a thought?

Just for reference, all of my rifles are way above lawyered book max. All are safe pressure and produce long brass life.

As far as 3000fps, you need to be way more specific on cartridge and bullet weight you are shooting.

That would depend on many things. Are you shooting a .308 or a .257 weatherby? Vast differences. A 215 Berger in a .308 going 2515 fps is going to have more energy than pretty much any .257 weatherby load even though they are screaming fast. Bullet weight has alot to do with energy and terminal damage. In your situation hunting brush or thick area, I would almost prefer a lever action shooting big heavy bullets. 44 mag, 454 cassul, 45-70, ect. Would all do the job. I watched my father shoot a cow elk with a 20" barreled 44 mag shooting 290 grain cast bullets at 1700 fps, with a square shoulder hit at 70 yards it literally knocked it off its feet. No tracking there

The 3k mark doesn't have much to do with killing. I've killed animals at 700yds with 2800 FPS muzzle velocity. There are so many variables anything from 2600-3400 will do fine give it's the right cartridge and bullet selection.

I when I build a gun a always have a velocity range in mind I want to accomplish. I'm not a super speed magnum kind of guy but I too usually have my goals between 2900-3100 FPS with the heavier bullets for caliber. I select cartridges that can achieve the goal comfortably with out pushing them too hard.

More speed does give you more long range energy so there is something to speed with everything else remaining equal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts