I need 22-250 AI load data !

Jerry Ricker

I've made up my mind and am going with the Ackley, after giving the Swift some serious consideration. The idea of less case stretch and not having to machine my bolt face kinda' sold me. The rest of my barrel life will be dedicated to fire-forming brass after I cut the chamber. Does anyone have any favorite loads with a 55 Nosler BT or equivalent?

haven't done any loading with the 55gr, but I do load the 50gr V-max. I'm pushing 40.5gr Varget with a Fed. GM210 primer. this combo is going about 4050fps, and shoots 1/2MOA out to its effective range.

Good choice!! Try 39.5 gr. of Ramshot Big Game with a 55 NosBT for your fire forming load. This incidently is a wonderfulprairie dog load. No better place to fire form cases than in the prairie dog towns. After you get them formed, start with about 40.3 grains of Big Game and go up in .2 gr. increments til you find your best load. Max load is about 41.5 or so. Good luck, I'm sure you will never regret your decision.
God Bless,
Jim

Good luck with the Ackley, I am sure your going to love it. I still think you would be happier with the Swift. I have not had problems with cases stretching, and I believe the Swift gets to much bad press. When I was thinking about building my Swift, I to was trying to decide between the Swift and 22-250, I had so many people try and talk me out of the Swift. They would say that it's not as accurate as 223 or 22-250, it stretches cases, burns barrels, ect. I would ask them if they owned a Swift, they all said no, but they heard that it had problems. To many people have given the Swift a bad rap and rely on past comments rather than learn from the people who have tested or owned a Swift. I have never had stretching problems with the Swift, and my Swift is benchrest accurate. It shoots in the .1's and .2's all day long. The last time I went varmint hunting, I was connecting on squirrels out to 400 and 500 yards all day long. Just thought I would make you think it over again, however, if you still go with the 22-250 AI, I am sure you will love it, it's an excellent 22 caliber long range varmint caliber.

It is an awesome shooting machine, and that's with a 40grn v-max and 40grn Nosler ballistic tip. It was also built by a Top Notch Gunsmith. He took his time and build me an awesome 300 to 500 yard rifle. I would take it to a benchrest comp, but the range is about 150 miles from my house. One of these days, I will try one of these comps out. Until then, I will just have to blow up squirrels.

Wildcat

1Kyd30,
I have 2-22-250AI's and a 220 Swift (they both use the same bolt face ) the AI's have far less case stretch,if Wildcats swift cases dont stretch he must have the only ones that dont. my best 22-250AI load in one rifle is 43.5gr imr4831 with 55gr bt's. my other rifle likes VVN550. you will have to tinker a bit to see what your barrel likes.
one word of caution is to measure the reamer that will be used to chamber your barrel,for some reason there seems to be some grossly oversized reamers for this chambering. me and GG had our own reamer made that actualy fits the brass we use UB

UncleB, I guess I was trying to say I have not had a major problem with stretching, as of yet. I am using Norma brass, maybe that's why I have not seen any major signs of stretching. As time goes on and the cases get warn out, I am sure I will see more stretching. I just think the Swift gets a bad rap.

Wildcat

Wildcat, you should make the trip to the BR match. I just checked the IBS National Group Championships results and very few of the winners had aggs. in the .1's.

Uncle B
thanks for the recipes, is there any particular brass the AI prefers? I'm currently using either Frontier or Fed., they seem to be a bit heavier and have less tendency to buldge and the necks don't seem to flow and stretch as badly as the lighter varities when pushed to full velocity.

DocEd, I will have to try one of these comps out!!!!! My rifle is set up more like tactical than benchrest. Here the specs:

1. Remington Short Action trued and Sleeved in a Speedy Gonzalez Sleeve.
2. Lilja, 28", 1-14 twist, 1.250 tapered to .925 at the muzzle
3. McMillan A-4, adjustable cheek piece, 3 way spacer system, two studs.
4. Holland Muzzle brake
5. Jewel Trigger
6. Kelby Rings 30mm
7. Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS
8. Stock has been piller bedded

I just checked my groups I listed on this post. Here are the exact group sizes for the following 3, 3 shot groups at 100 yards ;

1. (.146) is my best group with this rifle, 40grn Nosler Ballistic tip, 205M primer, Norma Brass, 43grns H414 powder

2. (.245) is my second best group, 40grn V-MAX, 205M primer, Norma Brass, 42.5grn H414 powder.

3. (.248) is my third best group, 40-V-MAX, 205M primer, Norma Brass, 43.5 grns H414 powder.

DocEd, I can't tell if your mocking me or giving me a compliment, I would hope your complimenting me. However, if you don't believe me, just say so! I have kept all of my targets. I will try and post pics, of the three groups, by tomorrow. I am still learning how to post pics. I will also post pics of the rifle.

Wildcat

Wildcat, I was certainly not mocking you, or your shooting ability. I was simply pointing out that a rifle that "shoots in the .1's and .2's all day long" is capable of winning most BR matches. While BR matches require the shooter to fire 5, 5 shot groups, to complete the course of fire, (in all the classes except Heavy Bench), your 3 shot groups indicate that you and your rifle are up to par. If your rifle weighs more than 13.5 lbs, you would not be eligible to compete in 100, 200, and 300 yd BR matches. Most tactical rifles, like yours, end up a little heavy for BR.
I will agree that this particular cartridge, the 22-250 AI, is one of the few non-BR cartridges, that I chamber for, that I can pretty much guarantee accuracy in the .2's and .3's.

I am sorry if I came across angry, however, there are people on this site who try and start problems. My Swift is very accurate, and when I bring it to the range or out shooting varmints, people can't believe how accurate she is. Even the gunsmith that built her thought she would group well, but after he too so the groups he was impressed.

I guess I am lucky to have such an accurate 220 swift, I consider myself to be a decent shooter, but I know this rifle has a lot to due with its' ability to shoot.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself to be a decent shooter,

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the quality of some of the people who visit this forum it is much safer to claim you do not know which end of the barrel to point downrange.

That is the lesson I learned when I was 18 and agreed to shoot against an member of the U of Ala girls smallbore rifle team. I believe cokes were a quarter back then and that was the bet. Loser buys. It really hurt my young male ego to put the quarter in the machine and carry her coke over to her. Since then I don't much run my mouth about being the best shot east of the Mississippi River.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.