I messed up and sized my hornady oal case.

I load for 7 cartridges 222 thru 338 so I ordered the drill and tap and spent a pleasant hour with a friend at his lathe and made two of each cartridge. All made with brass fire formed to my rifles and I still have the tools in case I go nuts and buy a 6.5 CM or something. ;>)

So I was setting up my reloading die last night and didn't pay attention to the fact that I'd put my hornady oal gauge case in my box with my fired cases. As you may have guessed I sized it and as it was not meant to be sized the rim broke off and now the case is stuck. I know this was very negligent but if anyone can give me an idea of how to get it out that would be greatly appreciated. From what ive read it uses 5/16-36 unef thread and I can't seem to find a bolt that matches that that thread.
Try putting it in the Freezer (0 to -20) the difference between the two metals should work. Of if you have a can of aair turn it upside down and spray the case till the die shows frost. you should be able to pull or tap it out. (all else fails get some dry Ice to freeze it)

I'm glad your coworker got it out for you . I don't think you are the first to size your oal case .

Reminds me of a thread on another forum: "What did you do at the bench today?" I often thought about starting the companion thread: "What did you do Wrong at the bench today?" as I have plenty of material and it would boost my post count significantly. Ultimately, I never followed through with it, as I already have enough embarrassment in my life. I guess being a glutton for punishment has its limits.

YZ-80 , we all tell about the things we have done right and mostly say little to nothing about or mistakes . Heck I act a fool and show my backside nearly on a daily basis . I have noticed that the lessons learned that way stay with me the longest

I learned a lot of what I know the hard way in my youth. Fortunately I've always taken reloading very serious and my learning the hard way experiences are fewer and farther between.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.