I messed up and sized my hornady oal case.

Namibguy

So I was setting up my reloading die last night and didn't pay attention to the fact that I'd put my hornady oal gauge case in my box with my fired cases. As you may have guessed I sized it and as it was not meant to be sized the rim broke off and now the case is stuck. I know this was very negligent but if anyone can give me an idea of how to get it out that would be greatly appreciated. From what ive read it uses 5/16-36 unef thread and I can't seem to find a bolt that matches that that thread.

You will have to use a larger tap and form a thread for a bolt you have.
In any case, the Hornady case is probably now junk anyway.
I would just tap it to the size bolt in any stick case remover kit.

Cheers.
The case is pretty thin since it'sa 223 do you think there will be enough meat left to the walls since it is all ready tapped

Brass is soft, so the next size UNF/UNC tap/bolt would be taking very little metal out.
It only has to thread in a little securely, not overly tight or anything, once it breaks free it will come right out.

Cheers.

Brass is soft, so the next size UNF/UNC tap/bolt would be taking very little metal out.
It only has to thread in a little securely, not overly tight or anything, once it breaks free it will come right out.

Cheers.
OK the closest I have found here is 5/16 32 une so I'll see if that works

Those are easy to make yourself. I neck size a fired case then use a dremel tool with a small cut-off wheel to split the neck. I use a diamond stone to deburr.

Those are easy to make yourself. I neck size a fired case then use a dremel tool with a small cut-off wheel to split the neck. I use a diamond stone to deburr.
Yep , that's the way. shorten the neck a bit, then drill the base with a 7.3mm drill, and thread with a 5/16" right hand thread tap. Hornady bought that comparator design from Stoney Point . Who, I believe , chose that size and thread for the comparator set 'cause it's rare /uncommon in the average home shop. That way a buck or two can be made selling OAL cases and drilling /tapping fired cases sent in by reloaders.

I use to tap the primer pocket but screwed up several cases in my vise. I can use a little piece of leather to grip the bullet and pull it out. Or use an inertia puller. I chamber the round, measure, pull the bullet back a bit and repeat a few times.

Yep , that's the way. shorten the neck a bit, then drill the base with a 7.3mm drill, and thread with a 5/16" right hand thread tap. Hornady bought that comparator design from Stoney Point . Who, I believe , chose that size and thread for the comparator set 'cause it's rare /uncommon in the average home shop. That way a buck or two can be made selling OAL cases and drilling /tapping fired cases sent in by reloaders.
Yeah it's cheaper to buy the case because I'll have import the tap

I bought the tap and drill bit in a kit on Amazon it came from China but it is solid and I have made a few even made a7mm tcu

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.