I made the sore mistake of shooting a rifle with a jewell trigger.

I purchased a Timney and had a gunsmith install and adjust it. Both the gunsmith and I decided it was a turd, and this smith had installed Timneys in the past. We couldn't get the creep out of it without it discharging when the bolt was slammed home. By the time the trigger was safe to use the trigger had to have a running start before it would break. Gunsmith said he could probably take it apart and improve it, but that the purpose for purchasing the Timney in the first place was to get a trigger assembly that was good to go with simple and straightforward adjustment. Perhaps I got a bad one. It will be the last bad or good one I ever use. I'd have been better off with the factory trigger.

If you're going to set the trigger pull at 2 lbs or higher, maybe the Jewell won't impress. At some poundage, it's still going to take some muscle to break the trigger over.

The Jewell is the only trigger I've squeezed that's amazed me, and caused me to buy another one just like it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info everyone. I guess since I don't know anyone with a jewell I'll have one added to my next build. I had already been thinking that was the way to go. just no real experience.

All my rifles are Rem 700's as well. I've shot others with a rifle basix but no timney or jewell.. I've always been curious what makes them so much better? My rem is pretty nice at just over 2lbs.

I tryed to find my spec sheet to explain the difference but could'nt so I'll wing it from memory.

The main difference is the way the trigger is linked to the sear. Instead of the one half of
the sear being on the trigger and the other half being on the bolt it has an intermediate
link in between allowing a reduction in trigger pull without a reduction in sear spring tension
(Mechanical advantage).

once you buy one look at the adjustment sheet and you will see the differance.

I hope I explained it correctly and clearly !!!

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.