I made the sore mistake of shooting a rifle with a jewell trigger.

I ordered one today. Delivery = 2 weeks.

I didn't know what I was doing and Jewell was helpful.

This one is going on a big boomer for some extra long range attempts.

Ended up ordering a Varmint w/bottom safety factory set to 2#.

I suppose that will be light enough for an ambush rifle. If not, I again suppose Kirby can tweak it.

All my rifles are Rem 700's as well. I've shot others with a rifle basix but no timney or jewell.. I've always been curious what makes them so much better? My rem is pretty nice at just over 2lbs.

All my rifles are Rem 700's as well. I've shot others with a rifle basix but no timney or jewell.. I've always been curious what makes them so much better? My rem is pretty nice at just over 2lbs.

I have always struggled to get consistent good groups due to hand tension getting 2.5# to fire. I would get alot of good groups and then a few terds due to altering the POA inadvertantly just before the trigger broke.

When you can set the trigger in ounces (saftely is the key here) you can simply get your wires centered, and just lay your finger accross the trigger and the bullet is gone without any negative effect from your hand/finger. After using 2.5# for years and then shooting 7oz., it was like a dream come true. Shooting a good group had never been easier.

I used a 2 oz trigger back in my BR days. The oz thing seemed a little light for a ambush position when changes of position may be necessary and dummies like me neglect to pay attention to the safety.:rolleyes:

However, we'll see.....

If you want your factory triggers to remain pretty nice, then my advice is don't ever break the trigger on a well adjusted Jewell. They break so clean and crisp. Imagine breaking a needle thin glass straw. First time I triggered a well adjusted Jewell, I shook my head and broke into an ear to ear grin due to both surprise and amazement. I've watched the same expression form on others' faces as they have dry fired my Jewell trigger(s). Like was stated earlier, they can spoil you to the point that you won't be content until you've installed one on every rifle you own.

Applying simple straightforward logic, I can conclude it's a nicety that isn't absolutely required. Yet at the same time you may find that you can never really be content without one - after you've had the experience/pleasure. The land of no return, aptly expressed by the statement "I made the sore mistake of shooting a rifle with a Jewell trigger". Find one and squeeze it off, if you dare... :)

If you want your factory triggers to remain pretty nice, then my advice is don't ever break the trigger on a well adjusted Jewell. They break so clean and crisp. Imagine breaking a needle thin glass straw. First time I triggered a well adjusted Jewell, I shook my head and broke into an ear to ear grin due to both surprise and amazement. I've watched the same expression form on others' faces as they have dry fired my Jewell trigger(s). Like was stated earlier, they can spoil you to the point that you won't be content until you've installed one on every rifle you own.

Applying simple straightforward logic, I can conclude it's a nicety that isn't absolutely required. Yet at the same time you may find that you can never really be content without one - after you've had the experience/pleasure. The land of no return, aptly expressed by the statement "I made the sore mistake of shooting a rifle with a Jewell trigger". Find one and squeeze it off, if you dare... :)

Very well put. Espescially the ear to ear grin, which I had imediatly after shooting it. I also wore that grin all day.

Also, I think if a person reaches a plateau and needs a bit extra something to perform a bit better, I think this is one of those things that can help one get more of those tight groups. I most likely will not use 7oz for hunting, but for testing the limits of my rifle, I will use a light pull for sure. For hunting I will most likely find 1-1.5# adequete.

All to many times I find myself saying boy I wish this thing would break, boy I wish this thing would break............. 0.5-1.0# less for my hunting set up should help that.

i have one jewel, and 4 shilen on the 700s. the shilen were only $80. and i like them just as well. my two sako triggers are awesome. badd once you try one uh . ron

About the same as Roninflag. I have one of several kinds including several factories and cannot really tell a lot of difference except for the way they are adjusted. The Timney, I have a good bit of slack in it and like it that way. The rest are all set at about 2 pounds and seem to be the same. The Jewell has a little creep and a "rough spot" so I notice that. The fact that some Jewells just seem to be that way has been previously discussed a couple of times on this forum.

If asked about a favorite, then it would be the Timney or the factory Ruger, both of which I have had for decades so they are just old friends whom I know well.

I have a rifle basics on my 700 and i have an timney trigger on my 22-250 i ordered a can jar trigger for my dad's ruger model 77 22-250 i would love to touch off a jewell sounds like their pretty good so far the canjar is the best one i've ever used it's a two stage trigger.anyone else have one like this?? sorry michael if this post is off base just wandering:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts