I love Hammer Bullets

Looks like 1800 fps will get out to about 1,000 yards with the STW. I'm curious to know how they compare to a Berger or an ELD at extreme ranges like that

Looks like 1800 fps will get out to about 1,000 yards with the STW. I'm curious to know how they compare to a Berger or an ELD at extreme ranges like that
Terminal performance of the Hammer will be better than both of those bullets. But, do you plan on shooting game at 1000 yards???
I practice with Berger's and ELDX when I'm shooting steel or paper at distance. I also verify the Hammers at distance.

Terminal performance of the Hammer will be better than both of those bullets. But, do you plan on shooting game at 1000 yards???
I practice with Berger's and ELDX when I'm shooting steel or paper at distance. I also verify the Hammers at distance.
I would like to have confidence in my bullet to be able to shoot game occasionally at ranges like that. Most of my hunting is inside of 4 or 500 yards, but at the end of the season we always try to kill a lot of does and hogs and can sometimes get opportunities to shoot them at 700-1000 yards. I also don't want to have one bullet for practice and another for hunting with the same gun

I would like to have confidence in my bullet to be able to shoot game occasionally at ranges like that. Most of my hunting is inside of 4 or 500 yards, but at the end of the season we always try to kill a lot of does and hogs and can sometimes get opportunities to shoot them at 700-1000 yards. I also don't want to have one bullet for practice and another for hunting with the same gun
In the last 3 years we have taken 4 animals in the 900 yard range, two deer, an antelope and an elk. 5 others in the 800 yard range, and the rest bunch up between 400 and 700, with the average range we take game being in the upper 600 yard range. That is an average of around 40-50ish critters these last 3 years. So I know how it goes needing a bullet for the extended distances. I like the performance of the hammers and have a few I'll be doing load developement with, but I have to be careful which ones I go with, I need the highest bc ones he offers, I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I can't take a shot I normally could due to a lack of velocity or energy from a lower bc. It would be awesome if they had the bc of the bergers, if that were the case I likely wouldn't use anything else. But when 600+ is your bread and butter shots.....unfortunately bc is a signficant factor.

The 285 Hammer is gonna be nice in my .338 Norma though, it seems to like them, and at 2780 fps I think it should do the job!! BC is also about the same as the 6.5 156 Berger too, so that is decent. I bet it will kill an elk....

In the last 3 years we have taken 4 animals in the 900 yard range, two deer, an antelope and an elk. 5 others in the 800 yard range, and the rest bunch up between 400 and 700, with the average range we take game being in the upper 600 yard range. That is an average of around 40-50ish critters these last 3 years. So I know how it goes needing a bullet for the extended distances. I like the performance of the hammers and have a few I'll be doing load developement with, but I have to be careful which ones I go with, I need the highest bc ones he offers, I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I can't take a shot I normally could due to a lack of velocity or energy from a lower bc. It would be awesome if they had the bc of the bergers, if that were the case I likely wouldn't use anything else. But when 600+ is your bread and butter shots.....unfortunately bc is a signficant factor.

The 285 Hammer is gonna be nice in my .338 Norma though, it seems to like them, and at 2780 fps I think it should do the job!! BC is also about the same as the 6.5 156 Berger too, so that is decent. I bet it will kill an elk....
I might get a box of the 177s to try in the 7 STW, and some 124s to try in the 6.5 STW

Probably don't have the 7 twist required for the 137 hammer....too bad, you certainly have the horsepower!! The bc on that one isn't far from the 140 Berger, it would sing in a 6.5 STW!!
Yeah I wish it had a faster twist but it's just an 8 twist. But I bet the 124 will still be fun

I couldn't agree more! Coming from california, I always thought that by shooting copper bullets would put me at a disadvantage and would wound more animals. As soon as I tried Hammer Bullets, it changed my mind forever. These bullets HAMMER animals just as good as lead and shoot a great group. I am switching all of my guns to Hammer Bullets as we speak.

I've only shot 2 177 .284 bullets ymmv 8tw 280ai went through the same hole at 200yds with 61.0 of rl26. They were loaded to 3.550 same as the 197smk using that as a baseline.

May I ask what kind of velocity you were seeing with the 177?