I know this has been asked before but Ques. on scenars

nolo263

How many people here have shot deer or pigs with the 155 scenar .30 cal and at what range? I would like to know if this bullet would perform at long range.

I cant get the 155 to perform in the expansion department at 300 yards let alone LR. Bad choice for deer. Concider the 155 AMAX. Its real world BC isnt that much lower than the 155 Scenar. Published for published, its a big differance. In one of my test rifles, the differance was only 0.015 BC which isnt bad. .499 was the Scenar and .474 was the AMAX. The AMAX will expand nicely at short and long range.

Hello thanks for the reply, The reason i want to use the scenars is that in my .308 gap crusader this is the bullet i use for paper punching and it shoots freaking amazing with this bullet, plus i can get the scenars up to 2850fps. I am going to use them for yotes but was wondering what would happen if i used it on hogs or deer just in case.

I've shot some hogs with them and the only was I got reasonable expansion was by hitting the actual shoulder bone on the entrance side and the bullet still exited with a quarter sized hole. The damage to the vitals was ok but it was mostly from bone fragmants.
I don't know what these bullet are made from or how but they are very stout.
I second the A-max a the best choice , especialy if your gonna be shooting coyotes and deer which are alot lighter built than hogs. Another good choise would be the Berger's I use them a good bit , I trim the meplats back a little further than whats realy needed to make for a wider frontal area to help with the rapid expansion.

JD, that´s interesting.-<what happens if you dont trim the meplat in the Bergers? wont they expand??

regarding the scenars, I´ve shot a couple 139 out of a 6,5 x 55 on goats and they dont expand.-

The Bergers will expand without the meplats being trimmed but I cut them back a we bit more to help them uped up faster , they realy don't need it in mosty cases but at the 308's velocities and on smaller game its a little insurance and the actual loss in BC is minimal

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.