I keep cleaning and nothing changes???

If your still not sure, find someone with a bore scope and you can see any copper fouling that is present.

Note; A bore light will not show copper unless it is at the crown because the light bounces down the
barrel and doesn't come back to give you an indication of copper fouling.

J E CUSTOM

Plug the chamber with mop and fill the bore with wipeout and leave overnight.

If the bore does not come clean after that then I would have the bore electrically de-plated. You might damage the bore trying to clean it otherwise.

If no one can do it for you there are youtube videos and instructions a google search away.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

One Wipeout soaking will rarely remove all copper from a factory tube. I have several barrels that take up to as many as 10 soakings.

I have had a couple that took more than one cleaning with wipeout also.

He has been scrubbing it with Sweets and that is pretty high powered. Leave Sweet's in the barrel and it may damage the barrel.

I was basically saying that if the rifle is that coppered up it may be better to clean it by the electrolysis method which will remove everything so He can start over.

The electrolysis method I believe is less harmful than repeated chemical cleanings. It is amazing how much crud can come out of a rifle using this method.

I'm not familiar with the electrolysis method but it looks interesting.

Products like BTE and Wipeout aren't harmful to the bore. I haven't used Sweets but I've used a lot of the others and BTE and Wipeout are the best. No more harsh ammonia cleaners for me.

Nickel plated jags and BoreTech Eliminator or BoreTech CU+2. Nylon brushes for the stubborn spots.

That is the answer. I Tested Shooters Choice, a couple Hoppies products, CR10, Sweets 7.62, Montana Extreme, and others. All said the bore was clean but when I went back in with BoreTech I always got more copper out.

BoreTech, 3 or 4 wet patches, wait 10 minutes, and 3 or 4 more wet patches, repeat until all blue lines are off the patches completely. It takes time, but once you get it truly clean the next bullets will work to lap in those rough areas that are grabbing the copper. If you don't clean all the copper off the rough spots it will never lap in.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts