I just ordered a 4.5-14x50 zeiss for my new 7 mm

Wcw280

I just ordered a zeiss 4.5-14x50 to put on top of my 7mm that Clarence hammonds is working on for me. I gave $551 to my door for a brand new in the box scope from camofire.com. Is that a good price and how does that scope compare to the exact same leupold? I'm new to the long range stuff so any knowledge is appreciated.

I just ordered a zeiss 4.5-14x50 to put on top of my 7mm that Clarence hammonds is working on for me. I gave $551 to my door for a brand new in the box scope from camofire.com. Is that a good price and how does that scope compare to the exact same leupold? I'm new to the long range stuff so any knowledge is appreciated.

That is a good price. The prices on them have come down considerably because it's a scope that is no longer being made. They (Zeiss) replaced the original conquest line with the Conquest HD5 line. That being said there are a lot of places selling dealer demo's with full warranty (Same as new) for a bit cheaper. I know you can get that scope for $499 with free shipping from optics planet as a dealer demo. All things considered $551 for it is a great deal - which reticle did you get?

As far as comparison to Leupold goes I don't think you can go wrong with either. I never owned the Leupold but I tried that side by side with a Nikon Monarch that I own in similar magnificaiton (4-16x50) and I thought the Monarch and the Leupold were about the same quality (In a store which is a HUGE difference from in the field, low light etc.). I can tell you that the Zeiss blows the monarch away from real use in the field. Some of the differences that I find are: eye relief - Zeiss seems easier on my eyes, especially at high magnification. Low light - Zeiss seems much brighter at dusk side by side vs. my monarch. As far as turrets are concerned the ones I own are 2 different styles so I can't compare them for you.

I got the z plex reticle. I may send it back to zeiss and have the reticle changed to have mildots put in it. Not sure yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.