I joined the ELR club!!!

The 300wsm is a very capable 1000yd rifle. With quality handloads and a longer and heavier barrel I know I can do better. I'm more than satisfied however with the results I've had with this rifle/ammo combo.
On another note I now believe I was over thinking it when I thought my fliers were caused by hot ammo. I've shot many good groups with this rifle all magazine fed. When I stopped and thought about it, the fliers are better explained by a sudden change in conditions. I'm still far from good when it comes to seeing the air through my scope. I'll continue putting in the trigger time to figure that part out.

The 300wsm is a very capable 1000yd rifle. With quality handloads and a longer and heavier barrel I know I can do better. I'm more than satisfied however with the results I've had with this rifle/ammo combo.
On another note I now believe I was over thinking it when I thought my fliers were caused by hot ammo. I've shot many good groups with this rifle all magazine fed. When I stopped and thought about it, the fliers are better explained by a sudden change in conditions. I'm still far from good when it comes to seeing the air through my scope. I'll continue putting in the trigger time to figure that part out.

If your barrel is a noddle thin, factor, chromoly barrel, I would bet that's your problem. Try some other ammo and see what happens. If you still see that same fliers its the barrel.

Here's why, chromoly has memory like an elephant. As the barrel starts heating up, the metallurgic grains within alloy start to gravitate towards where they were when the blank was part of a 20 foot long hot forging from the steel mill.

Back in the day when 2 minutes of elk was a good shooting factor rifle. The hammer forged, noddle thin, chromoly barrel was fine. But to day with the 3 shot being group and SUB MOA being thrown around like cow patties. Stress relived chromoly or stainless is the only way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.