I joined the ELR club!!!

shortpants

Officially I joined a few weeks ago with my first ever 1000+ group at 1034 yds. Conditions that day were extremely tough with swirling winds from 6-24mph. I managed to get 2 in the bullseye but the 3rd missed the target completely. Today conditions were much better. I managed to put together a 9 1/2" group at 1109 yds. Not to shabby for me and my factory browning A-bolt in 300wsm and factory ammo. The thing I'm most exited about is my come ups on my program are dead on! Now if I can just get better at reading the wind it just might be dangerous to be a deer next month!

Great job!!:)

Congradulations!! and Welcome to the Dark Side........... you can never leave.

gun)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff

Question for you all...
I've been noticing a common flyer issue lately. I came up with the theory that maybe by the time I break the 3rd shot off that round is heated up enough to drastically change my POI. To counter that I single fed my rounds on this last outing and shot the group mentioned above. My other groups were not as tight but I know what happened. I have to come off the gun to grab the next round and could feel slight differences in both cheek weld and shoulder position. So fixing one problem created another. I need to do more testing to find out if the flyer is caused by a hot magazine fed round vs. a single fed round. My question is do you think that theory makes any sense. An example of how extreme it is: 250yds I have 2 in the same hole and 1 about 2"-2.5" out, 650yds again 2 in the same hole and the 3rd missed the entire target! At 1034yds I had 2 within 4" of eachother but the 3rd missed the target! My targets are not small, I'd say these misses would of had to have missed the group by a couple of feet! I can usually call my bad shots and these felt like good shots. Whatcha think???

Since you stated you were shooting factory ammo, try this. Weigh your ammo and write the weight on the case with a sharpie. Now shoot the ammo that weighs the same and you will see the group tighten up a little more. Let us know.

It's the first shot that counts! You're doing good there.

My LR/ELR stuff is all single shot. I break position after each shot. Mostly to start and stop the video camera but "usually" shoot only one shot before changing distance when working up drop chart.

There are several things that could cause your predictable flyer. However, if your first two shots are always spot on, make 'em good. Thus no need for a third.:)

You'll burn out the barrel chasing that 3rd shot.:) Heck, when I put the first two together at any range, I stop shooting.

I still feel the remorse from burning out a wonder 270 AM barrel with out ever harvesting anything but rocks.:rolleyes: Sure was fun though. Expensive and disheartening. But fungun)

Thanks Roy. Like I said I need to do more testing to see if it's true or not. Could be the sporter weight factory barrel heating up too. It's not 100% predictable either. I've had some very good 3 shot groups that were magazine fed so who knows??? It was just a theory I thought I'd run past you all. I never stop thinking about how I can improve my shooting skills. It's become a sickness!

I would think that barrel heat is a more probable cause than a round heating up in the mag. If you touch your bolt and follower after shooting I bet you can't feel or even measure a difference after two shots. The barrel on the other hand will be toasty. How long do you typically take to shoot a round once it's chambered? The third round will be inserted into a much warmer barrel and while it sits there waiting for position/aim/dialing/wind read and such. I would try shoot one, wait 5 min, again and again. I shoot and then actually get up move around and then start from scratch again. I compare it to a pre-shot setup in golf.... this summer I sort of wanted to shoot my golf clubs though!

The only reason I am concerned about it is because this is my hunting rifle. If I need to take follow up shots I need to know what effects a hot barrel or hot round is going to have. I don't want to wait 5 minutes to take a follow up shot on game so I don't want to practice that way either. Not that what you said does not make perfect sense because it does but it won't help me solve a possible issue I might have while hunting. It's all about hunting.

This is an interesting read... and I say this because some people around where I live figure that a 300 WSM isn't a long range rifle, let alone an extreme long range rifle. Two months ago I purchased a 300 WSM Tikka T3 stainless heavy barrel and have been working with it to improve my shooting skills. I have progressed from punching out the bulls eye at 100 yds to getting five shots all within an inch and a half at 400 yards.
I'm impressed to see that the "lowly" 300 WSM that so many people here in my area have turned their noses up at is capable of a 1000 yard "PLUS" shot (depending on skill level of shooter). It has given me something to aim for in the future.... now if only we had a 1000 yard range here!

SIDE NOTE: For the Americans, yes, I know... a 300 wsm Tikka HB... not available in your country... a true travesty. If I could import them for you, I would.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.