I joined the 1 mile club!

It's really not as difficult as I imagined it would be. It is addicting though. I have a 1+ mile range 2 hours south of my and I'm planning on going this week to do it again. With a good rifle and optic, good ammo and a good ballistics calculator, you should be close the first shot.
mfran615, we must neighbors. Same addiction happened with me. Have hunted most of my life. 200yds., in Ohio woods, was more than enough. Went down to Thunder Valley a couple years ago…and then it began! Lol
Great job!

As the title says, I finally had the opportunity to join the 1 mile club! I have been wanting to shoot long range since I was a kid, and I was recently able to put together a rifle capable of doing just that. I chose the 7 SAUM and love it. The rifle was completed early this year, and I was able to quickly find a great load for it using the 168 VLDs. Until this year, I had only shot beyond a 100 yard range 1 time, and that was only 5 rounds with my .270 at 375 yards about 10 years ago. About 2 months ago I shot at a 700 yard range and hit the targets far more than I missed. I was pleasantly surprised that I did as well as I did. I then tried 1,000 yards shortly after, only to discover my scope base screws had come loose. This past weekend, I was visiting family in SC and went to a club my cousin had just joined. He thought it was only a 1,000 yard range, but when we got there, I ranged the furthest target at over 1750 yards (they say it's 1776 yards). What a pleasant surprise to unexpectedly be shooting at a 1 mile range. After a few hits at 1,000, I switched over to the 1 mile target with my cousin spotting. The first shot was close - only about 2-3 feet right. I was somewhat shocked. The next 3 were just as close, but at other locations. On the 5th shot, I finally got my impact that I was looking for. He then received a phone call from the office that it was time to pack up. I have quickly become hooked on long range shooting and plan on doing it a few times a month. For those interested, my rifle is built around the Defiance Tenacity with a Brux prefit barrel from Keystone Precision, and an Area 419 Hellfire Match brake. The barreled action is sitting in a McMillan A-5 adjustable stock with a Hawkins M5 DBM. The trigger is a TT Diamond. This was the first time shooting with my new Tract 4-20 x 50 (HIGHLY recommended) other than a quick range trip to get my zero and check velocity. I was using a Harris bipod and an Armageddon bag, but just got my Accu Tac bipod in which I will try out Wednesday. I suppose this post is long enough, but I am beyond excited to have finally been able to shoot a mile with reasonable success.
CONGRATS!!!!

Congratulations friend! I have a 1320 yard range where I work. My .300 WSM has shot a number of half moa 3-shot groups at that range when the wind is dead calm and my hold is consistent. Killed an elk at 1176 yards last fall and shortly afterwards ordered a 300 Norma Improved from the same outfit that built the WSM, West Elk Precision. Next goal with the new rifle is a marmot at a mile.

As the title says, I finally had the opportunity to join the 1 mile club! I have been wanting to shoot long range since I was a kid, and I was recently able to put together a rifle capable of doing just that. I chose the 7 SAUM and love it. The rifle was completed early this year, and I was able to quickly find a great load for it using the 168 VLDs. Until this year, I had only shot beyond a 100 yard range 1 time, and that was only 5 rounds with my .270 at 375 yards about 10 years ago. About 2 months ago I shot at a 700 yard range and hit the targets far more than I missed. I was pleasantly surprised that I did as well as I did. I then tried 1,000 yards shortly after, only to discover my scope base screws had come loose. This past weekend, I was visiting family in SC and went to a club my cousin had just joined. He thought it was only a 1,000 yard range, but when we got there, I ranged the furthest target at over 1750 yards (they say it's 1776 yards). What a pleasant surprise to unexpectedly be shooting at a 1 mile range. After a few hits at 1,000, I switched over to the 1 mile target with my cousin spotting. The first shot was close - only about 2-3 feet right. I was somewhat shocked. The next 3 were just as close, but at other locations. On the 5th shot, I finally got my impact that I was looking for. He then received a phone call from the office that it was time to pack up. I have quickly become hooked on long range shooting and plan on doing it a few times a month. For those interested, my rifle is built around the Defiance Tenacity with a Brux prefit barrel from Keystone Precision, and an Area 419 Hellfire Match brake. The barreled action is sitting in a McMillan A-5 adjustable stock with a Hawkins M5 DBM. The trigger is a TT Diamond. This was the first time shooting with my new Tract 4-20 x 50 (HIGHLY recommended) other than a quick range trip to get my zero and check velocity. I was using a Harris bipod and an Armageddon bag, but just got my Accu Tac bipod in which I will try out Wednesday. I suppose this post is long enough, but I am beyond excited to have finally been able to shoot a mile with reasonable success.
That's awesome congrats! The addiction for ELR is something I have yet to even slightly get bored with...not even a little. So much so I spend ~ 90% of my time at 1m/2k. It's so much fun to see the light switch on when the ELR bug hits. Buddy I used to work with 25 years ago just recently joined our range and he got a couple of IPSC hits at 1752 on his first day with my rig....he's hopeless now it's like the mafia he's losing his mind looking at barrels and actions. No way out once you are in you are IN!

Enjoy the madness and prepare to watch your bank account do weird things.

The snow is finally off my hay fields and I've scouted out an 1800 yard range. As soon as the mud dries practice begins!
What's your altitude there? Caliber? Sounds like fun but dang I can't even stand to look at snow on TV. Have fun!

Last edited:
6200' elevation shooting a 300 Norma Improved. 245 grain Berger's at 3015 fps.
Oh my mercy. Dare I ask your elevation? Sub 15mils? That has got to be a ton of fun. I don't need to ask if your pill is still supersonic at the target you must be having a hoot! Would be great if you post a pic or two of the mountain views.

Last edited: