I inherited the long range virus Portland Oregon

datsjeep

Hi everyone. I have been reading this site for quite a while. Growing up in Oregon for my whole long life of 39 I have always hunted and fished. I have been shooting since 8 and dad bought me my first rifle at 12. Dad was always into reloading and different guns. Long range was a passion of his but for me I was more concerned with football, girls and cars.

By the time college came and went my focus became more about earning a living then living my life. I would barely find time to spend a week east of the cascades with dad for a mule deer hunt or a few weekends on the coast for elk.

I never did get into the guns or reloading with dad and now I wish I would have. Dad passed in 02'. After he passed I bought a gun safe to store the few rifles he had left along with my one. I made room in the garage for the wooden crates full of bullets, brass, powders, presses, dies and various odds and ends.

Some time between dad passing and now I decided it was time to start living life. I had married the love of my life in 95' and it was time we started to do things that we enjoyed. Now although my wife will go fishing with me it's really not her thing and she definitely will not hunt. But she encourages me to do both as much as I can.

One day I was just kind of browsing through the old crates. Reading through load data dad had compiled on what looks to be 47 different rifles and looking at the targets he had saved. Some of the targets read 1000 yards and had different groupings along with load info.

I remember thinking that is cool, 1000 yards, 10 football fields.....

That night I found this site. I have now been reading for months. I can't seem to get enough of it. Since that night I have setup all dads reloading gear except for what I replaced, the old RCBS manual scale was just a little dated technology in my opinion. I have gone through every gun that was dads and learned everything I can about it. I have purchased a couple new projects for myself that don't have any sentimental value so I don't mind replacing stocks and barrels. I think I own every reload manual available.

The one thing I wish I could buy but can't is the time to do this with my dad. To be able to have his knowledge sitting beside me. That actually makes me appreciate this site and all of the knowledge from the members within it that much more. So thank you.

Genetics are a funny thing. Even being gone for eight years dad is still influencing my life. His passion has now become my passion.

Last edited:
WOW. That sinks in. Im sure he'd be proud to see his boy, and his guns togather, and thats cool. Your RCBS press will likely never be outdated. If I could buy an old RCBS press, I would in a heartbeat. Now as for your load books.....well they can become outdated with time, and ever changing powders, however, with the load data you have, and the books he worked from, and targets he left, DONT CHANGE ANYTHING, as long as the same powders,etc are still available. He did you a huge favor by leaving that information for you to learn from. And that in itself will be just like him sitting next to you and teaching you hands on. That my friend is gold! Sentimental, and priceless. Im sure he'd be proud!
Welcome to your new home :D(L/R/H). I hope the ledgend lives on, who knows, he might have been giving advise on here too.........Glad you joined.

And the ripples in the 'force' now settle.......yet another era begins......

This is good living room to hang in........most of us recognize that we didn't spend enough time with Dad or with our children......

The priceless part are those notes on targets and shell boxes as they are in his hand writing and will never go away.......

Have fun and enjoy the time learning and shooting. Many memories will pop up...

Welcome aboard........and ask questions when necessary.......

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.