I have an old Rem. Sportsman 78, .30-06

Right, and it had too slow of twist (12 tw) to stabilize 100+ gr. bullets. They changed the name to 6mm Rem. Dand supposedly sent to 9 and 10 tw. Did they make any barrels marked 6mm Rem. With the slower twist?

According to what I read, the 6mm Rem is less prone to brass stretching than the 243 and if you really want to drive it fast, can outrun a 243 but I don't know any self respecting deer that could tell the difference between the 2.

All barrels marked 6Mm will have the faster twist, as far as I have found all 6MM sporters have 22 in barrels, every rem 244 ( 5 or 6 ) had 26 in barrels, I worked up a load for a fella that had one that would shoot 100 gr rem corelock and sierra flatbase under 1 inch for five shoots but not not much else, I had a rem barrel marked 244 that had a 1-10 twist, I attended several shot shows a Remington rep couldn't answer any questions I had about that, however he gave me a contact to some that could and he confirmed that they changed to 1-10 when the 243 was was labeled the new daring in town and was the superior of the 2. As for the performance of the two in the real world if you kill it with one you will kill it with the other, the same applies to wounding, I frequently hunt predators during deer season, my favorite rifle for varmint calling is a kimber in 17 Rem, I tagged 2 deer and a black bear using this rifle while doing so, the black bear got ugly, I countered any further unpleasantness by going to a sako sportier in 6MM PPC, I use a ( no longer made ) 75 gr Nosler solid base, I've hung a tag on a additional 5 blacktails and another black bear, while not a ideal big game bullet, it has performed better than I could ever hope for, it is a far better choice than the 25 gr bullets of the 17 rem

Last edited:
Ok, according to what B. Graveline is saying it won't be easy to find a 9 or 10 twist barrel over 22". I was really hoping for at least 24 or preferably 26. I seem to do better with loads that use slower powders and longer barrels. Is there a competition where a barrel of these dimensions would be used on a normal basis? Preferably in a heavier contour. Weight is not a problem, my buddy's have set up areas where I can drive behind a blind and just sit atacorner behind a bush or an easy climb to a box plind with a rifle rest. Great bunch of guys, some been around me for close to 50 years.

I'm wondering if you could't order a barrel with the twist, contour and length to meet your requirements easier than searching for a used barrel, not really knowing what you may be getting.

True but there seems to be alot of good condition take offs with the sellers having 99 or better records. The new ones tart at about 400 dollars. I'm just wanting to try it as an experiment. If I like it then I'll buy a top quality barrel and build the real thing. Thanks

Yes. 788 has birch stock and says 788 on the receiver
Randy, It's not a Rem. 788. They did make a 788 and I'd like to try 1, but this is basically a Rem. 700 with a cheap stock. This one says "Sportsmamn 78" on it. By they way, most people haven't heard of the 78. I don't think it was made but a couple of years

Last edited:
Randy, It's not a Rem. 788. They did make a 788 and I'd like to try 1, but this is basically a Rem. 700 with a cheap stock. This one says "Sportsmamn 78" on it. By they way, most people haven't heard of the 78. I don't think it was made but a couple of years
The Sportsman 78 is an outstanding action to use for rebarreling or building a custom rifle. I have used those actions to make a number of custom rifles. They all seemed to be darn straight actions and all rifles shot below MOA.

A few years ago I used a 78 action as the base of a parts rifle. I had a Remington mountain rifle .270 barrel and stock from two different rifles, BDL bottom metal, an outstanding Walker trigger and leftover bottom metal screws from various previous project builds. Dale Hegstrom of Little Crow Gunworks installed the barrel on the action with correct headspace. Otherwise we screwed things together and put a Leupold 1.75-6 on it in Talley rings and headed to my range. The parts rifle shot well under MOA with various loads so I was one happy camper. It is one of my favorite deer rifles.....

I've only built 1 wildcat but this 78 has been such a good weapon since I bought it used I'm guessing in 1980/81. We had just moved into a new apartment complex so I've had it longer than what I originally thought. Anyway, I've never found anything that it wouldn't shoot minute of small deer. It went through testing the original X-Bullets by a novice, me. It's a miracle that I didn't blow it and myself up back then. Most people weren't aware just how much more pressure we were generating even with conservative loads from other brand bullet recipe books. It survived and continued to shoot moa or better.
One of my main concern is getting the paint to break loose. It's been camo painted so many times that I had to whittle the paint off of the bolt to get it to function easily. I painted it the day before we left and found out when we arrived.
Im really looking forward to assembling a small caliber rifle, i've always been a mid to larger caliber person and have picked bone out so that i could use the affected meat for hamburger and sausage.
I've gone on long enough, I'm bored, can you tell?
Have a good one, Paul

say pardner spent yesterday in the barn looking through my personal stash, I have a 700 6MM barrel, only 22 inch, if you are interested 50.00 dollars plus shipping, I got my hands on a bore scope over 30 years ago, any barrel I kept was With the thought it might become a personal rifle one day, or perhaps something I would have to stand behind,

Is it chambered? Send me your info to my pm and I'll get you a check. My personal check ok? Don't ship it till it clears or I guess I could get my wife to get me a Postal Money Order. The way things have been going my check might be more reliable, haha. Tell me how much for shipping and I'll add it. Label it as "tubing" right? I wouldn't want some Karen bending it to 45* between a mail truck and a loading dock. Many thanks. Paul
P.S. if there's anything that pertains to loading that you need let me know. I've been accumulating "junk" for over 40 years. I see a use for everything and keep it just in case. Hoarder?????

Is it chambered? Send me your info to my pm and I'll get you a check. My personal check ok? Don't ship it till it clears or I guess I could get my wife to get me a Postal Money Order. The way things have been going my check might be more reliable, haha. Tell me how much for shipping and I'll add it. Label it as "tubing" right? I wouldn't want some Karen bending it to 45* between a mail truck and a loading dock. Many thanks. Paul
P.S. if there's anything that pertains to loading that you need let me know. I've been accumulating "junk" for over 40 years. I see a use for everything and keep it just in case. Hoarder?????
I know all about junk, I've 50 years worth of crap that's to good throw away, biggest problem is it's 50 years of crap to sort threw, I live in California however my beliefs are not grounded in California politics, you're word and check are good enough for me, the only I might be short of is 110 gr 257 Nosler Accubonds, I can't use them in California and since I didn't draw any of the tags I wanted I have another year to come up some,
Bret Graveline
2861 Camino Hts Dr
Camino Ca, 95709
i think 20.00 should cover shipping, and yes it's chambered, it's been sitting in a old tool box along with a dozen or so other for 20 years,

Attachments

• E3FE567E-2563-402E-8032-7948D91A0996.jpeg
    E3FE567E-2563-402E-8032-7948D91A0996.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 70E114ED-24AF-49B2-9D25-18568CD66812.jpeg
    70E114ED-24AF-49B2-9D25-18568CD66812.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 24