I have a single shot rifle

Elkriver

I have a single shot 35 whelen & 45-70 I get about 1.25 to 1.5 at 100 yds otta both Thier less expensive h&r's but can't beat the price .. My question is can I do any thing to make them more accurate would a muzzle brake do any thing ...I reload for them both I've taken a 350 lb female black bear with 45-70 & a white tail dear .... Whelen has only harvested paper got it for holidays .. I was thinking of waying down forarm... But not sure I can free and clays at 210 yds with whelen ..

I have a single shot 35 whelen & 45-70 I get about 1.25 to 1.5 at 100 yds otta both Thier less expensive h&r's but can't beat the price .. My question is can I do any thing to make them more accurate would a muzzle brake do any thing ...I reload for them both I've taken a 350 lb female black bear with 45-70 & a white tail dear .... Whelen has only harvested paper got it for holidays .. I was thinking of waying down forarm... But not sure I can free and clays at 210 yds with whelen ..

I would recommend a good muzzle brake and bedding the fore end.

This should help you and the accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

What would bedding the for end do ... ?? I'm just asking. Cuz it's a single shot & I'm new to modify guns

What would bedding the for end do ... ?? I'm just asking. Cuz it's a single shot & I'm new to modify guns

It will/should make it more consistent when any pressure is applied to the fore end. Holding, resting on sandbags Etc.

Without bedding there are only a few contact points and depending on how external pressure is applied these points will change, changing the consistency shot to shot.

On the browning single shots and the Ruger they both have a receiver tang and this is what you bed on them for consistency.

It works most of the time.

J E CUSTOM

Just a quick question directed at JE. Would a muzzle brake do much for a 45-70? Since it's a pretty low pressure round, I guess I wouldn't expect much braking force from gas reaction, and there's not much you can do about the recoil generated from slinging a big brick of a bullet downrange. Just a question - like to learn from your experience.

Mainly the whelen it's a lot of gun for a small single shot but the area i hunt is thick brush ...100 yds max. With a 10 mph wind. And the sun shing just right

Just a quick question directed at JE. Would a muzzle brake do much for a 45-70? Since it's a pretty low pressure round, I guess I wouldn't expect much braking force from gas reaction, and there's not much you can do about the recoil generated from slinging a big brick of a bullet downrange. Just a question - like to learn from your experience.

If you shoot a 405 bullet in a factory load you would get about 30% recoil reduction.

If you hand load for modern rifles and 300 grain bullets you should get somewhere around 45% reduction in recoil depending on what your load is.

On a light rifle even 30% is quite a lot.

J E CUSTOM

A muzzle brake does not do anything for accuracy! Total waste of money IF accuracy is your goal.

To be honest both calibers are not LR rounds and 1 to 1.5 MOA will easily take them to their max practical distance.

I just gave my HR 45-70 to a new youth hunter where I hunt in ohio. I also hunt there with a single shot KP-1 in 45-70 and with right load and scope it can kill deer to 300 with the 325 FTX bullet.

You would better served with a better recoil pad or the shoulder PAST pad than the factory recoil pad and learning to reload.

Yea I put pad on whelen 45-70 is a diffrent recoil use 500gr of dgx thanx for the info

The barrel is roughly .770 at tip of whelen what would I thread that to " mashine shop "
5/8 ..24 and will any brake work ?? Or have. Gunsmith do it. It's a h&r single shot but accurate enough for me 1.25-1.5 at 100 yds ... I'm going to try Bedding for arm

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts