I Hate Hammer Bullets!

You're a more patient man than me. It took me all of about 4 posts to realize I couldn't handle the drama on snipershide!
LOL, I was in shock myself. All gun forums have stronger personalities, left unchecked, just as in life it creates issues.
Today it seems like on any forum, newbies can come on and exert dominance, like traditions and formalities are gone. Like I said earlier in a post here, life becomes easier when I realize just how significant others are, and how little their opinions affect me. Heck, I know maybe 5 people on this forum, they are local to me.

Only thing missing from that photo is the barrel pointed at a coyote. ;)
Yall better behave papas got his eye on us THANK GOD good day to you Len
Amen to that. Well said
There you go being smart again!🙂
Ramtruckman, now banned, is a new account by a previously banned member
loaded with the bullet of your choice you know what mine is nice picture

It appears this thread is coming to an end, so I will post this now, I am needing a vehicle said vehicle will need to tow my trailer with my backhoe on it, through the mountains, I want this vehicle to ride like a Cadillac handle like a Corvette,get the fuel economy of a Prius all this at the price of a Kia, I dont want anybody to speak good or bad of this vehicle. It seems to me some not all here are wanting simlar things out of one bullet, I guess if I find this vehicle we will also find this magical bullet

Last edited:
Only thing missing from that photo is the barrel pointed at a coyote. ;)
funny, I was thinking a sprinkling of nuts on the yard and me sitting on the porch with my pellet gun waiting for squirrels. I still own a fair number of pecan trees and we're constantly at war!

1642531958030.png

It appears this thread coming to an end, so I will post this now, I am needing a vehicle said vehicle will need to tow my trailer with my backhoe on it, through the mountains, I want this vehicle to ride like a Cadillac handle like a Corvette,get the fuel economy of a Prius all this at the price of a Kia, I dont want anybody to speak good or bad of this vehicle. It seems to me some not all here are wanting simlar things out of one bullet, I guess if I find this vehicle we will also find this magical bullet
That's the problem. There are no Magical bullets, they each have their own characteristics and best intended uses.

The secret is to finding one that is as close to 100% consistent, and then put it in the right place every time.

At short range that's rarely a huge deal, if it pencils through or blows up on contact failing to produce quickly fatal wounds you're likely to have a fair chance of getting multiple anchoring shots to finish the job.

For us, for me at least due to having to cross terrain, neighboring properties etc there are times it may be hours or over night before I can get to a downed animal so anchoring them "right there" is critical.

In steep, rocky terrain it can be even more important. I've shot critters on at the top of a cliff or bluff or on steep ridges and mountainsides because the shot wasn't going to get any better and it was "the one" where a few steps is all it takes to send them a hundred feet or more straight down and there might not be a whole lot left to recover.

Placement, placement, placement and really knowing where there vitals are are essential and confidence in your bullet hitting your intended POI is a big part of that equation.

We can easily spend two to six or eight, thousand dollars or more on, "The Perfects build" so the difference in bullets that are .50c each and 2.00 a piece gets much smaller.

Of course, some of the smarter custom bullet makers have finally realized that for those of us who like to shoot, not just breaking a rifle out a few days a year for the annual deer hunt need a lower cost solution to help us enjoy they sport and they are coming out with target bullets with the same profile and weights such that they are interchangeable with their premium bullets and I for one appreciate that.

Give me a call this week and let's see what we can figure out.
I was watching a hunting show today and the hunter shot a buck broadside in the ribs and you could see the bullet had deflected. The bucks head was facing to the left of the hunter when he shot it, what I immediately notice is the bullet striking the ground behind the buck and about 10 feet in front of him, which also got my attention immediately was that behind the buck but to the front of him were what looked like bullet fragments striking the ground.
When I first got my Hammer bullets I was not aware of them fragging is this a normal occurrence, I'm just interested in how the fragments go as it appeared they all went to the front of the buck including the shank from the dirt that blew up.
I'm attaching a pic, yea it's not the best but I did mark it where the bullet and fragments hit the ground to give you an idea of their location.

1642539063159.png

Attachments

• 1642538748747.png
    1642538748747.png
    811.4 KB · Views: 66
I was watching a hunting show today and the hunter shot a buck broadside in the ribs and you could see the bullet had deflected. The bucks head was facing to the left of the hunter when he shot it, what I immediately notice is the bullet striking the ground behind the buck and about 10 feet in front of him, which also got my attention immediately was that behind the buck but to the front of him were what looked like bullet fragments striking the ground.
When I first got my Hammer bullets I was not aware of them fragging is this a normal occurrence, I'm just interested in how the fragments go as it appeared they all went to the front of the buck including the shank from the dirt that blew up.
I'm attaching a pic, yea it's not the best but I did mark it where the bullet and fragments hit the ground to give you an idea of their location.

View attachment 331855
What hunting show? Shot with a Hammer? You have a link to the show?

Yes the petals separate from from the shank and generally exit as well. A bullet that opens and sheds properly is highly unlikely to change course after impact. About the only way we have ever seen a bullet change course is with marginal stability and not opening causing them to tumble on impact. Hard to say where a bullet like that will go.

View attachment 331855

That's not as uncommon as people would think. I had at least 4 occasions with Swift Siroccos turning 90 degrees or more in impact.

I had that happen on two successive animals in Africa on my first hunt there and the PH said we needed to put that rifle away until we could get some replacement ammo.

I haven't shot them since.

When bullets go into the transonic range and start losing stability or when they impact anything, even a small twig they can start tumbling before hitting the target and do the same thing.

If a bullet starts breaking up in fight, even just small fragments they can also cause bullets to do things you wouldn't think possible.

Sometimes even a slight turn in an animal that is broadside, or a "deflection shot" at an angle will cause them to track in really crazy ways even if everything is "right" with the bullet.

That's not as uncommon as people would think. I had at least 4 occasions with Swift Siroccos turning 90 degrees or more in impact.

I had that happen on two successive animals in Africa on my first hunt there and the PH said we needed to put that rifle away until we could get some replacement ammo.

I haven't shot them since.

When bullets go into the transonic range and start losing stability or when they impact anything, even a small twig they can start tumbling before hitting the target and do the same thing.

If a bullet starts breaking up in fight, even just small fragments they can also cause bullets to do things you wouldn't think possible.

Sometimes even a slight turn in an animal that is broadside, or a "deflection shot" at an angle will cause them to track in really crazy ways even if everything is "right" with the bullet.
I once shot a nice buck < 200lbs with a 150gr Nosler BT through the ribs like I described above at 100yds or so with a 300 WSM. The bullet did not exit or explode, I found it below the skin in his right hip, my guess is it hit a rib and turned 90 degrees.
But like I said above I'm not familiar with fragmenting bullets and wondered if those puffs of dirt fly up were bullet frags or I guess it's possible they were bone from the offside. Steve and company have shot a lot and experimented a lot with their bullets that's why I asked him if the smaller frags were probably the pedals that peel off the shank.

I once shot a nice buck < 200lbs with a 150gr Nosler BT through the ribs like I described above at 100yds or so with a 300 WSM. The bullet did not exit or explode, I found it below the skin in his right hip, my guess is it hit a rib and turned 90 degrees.
But like I said above I'm not familiar with fragmenting bullets and wondered if those puffs of dirt fly up were bullet frags or I guess it's possible they were bone from the offside. Steve and company have shot a lot and experimented a lot with their bullets that's why I asked him if the smaller frags were probably the pedals that peel off the shank.
You get a lot of bone, blood, and tissue spatter with exit wounds with expanding bullets. The NBT generally doesn't hold well together at all at high impact velocities, I've seen them literally turn inside out or simply explode shallow when hitting hard bone. You got lucky with that one.

Steve's bullets by design are supposed to penetrate well into the body cavity and shed those petals to cause maximum internal damage.

That one might have simply started losing them one at a time throwing the track off and with some of them exiting but most of what you saw was probably blood, bone and tissue from the exit wound.

In the right light I've often seen that cloud of blood and tissue follow the bullet path in both directions because of the vacuum formed in it's wake.

You get a lot of bone, blood, and tissue spatter with exit wounds with expanding bullets. The NBT generally doesn't hold well together at all at high impact velocities, I've seen them literally turn inside out or simply explode shallow when hitting hard bone. You got lucky with that one.

Steve's bullets by design are supposed to penetrate well into the body cavity and shed those petals to cause maximum internal damage.

That one might have simply started losing them one at a time throwing the track off and with some of them exiting but most of what you saw was probably blood, bone and tissue from the exit wound.

In the right light I've often seen that cloud of blood and tissue follow the bullet path in both directions because of the vacuum formed in it's wake.
Not too get off subject the craziest thing I have seen a bullet do was a 25 cal 100 gr Nosler partition form a vacuum seal of the entrance hole with no exit but dropped the big mule deer in his tracks. I started loading Barnes in the smaller calibers until I discovered Hammers I want pretty much a guaranteed exit. I never did find the entrance 3 of us looked long and hard sometimes a bullet can have a mind of it's own

The craziest bullet result I have seen was a 30-06 cup&core round on a smaller whitetail spike.
My BIL shot the spike at 100 yards, head on, hitting the sternum. The bullet deflected down into the dirt, blew off a palm size patch of white fur & hide, but there was no blood. We found the deer about 50 yards away, dead with some blood from the nostrils and mouth.

There was no entry wound other than the hide blown off. No bleeding from the impact. The sternum had shattered upward, shredding the heart and lungs. Very dead deer, but pretty lucky hunter I think!

I've used the BT for a very long time and to date, none have failed to kill the deer I shot. The bullet above weighed around 100grs the best I remember and so far I have not shot one through the shoulder so you could be 100% on that. I was surprised when I turned the buck over and no exit hole, up to that time I've never had that happen with that combo and haven't since.

What hunting show? Shot with a Hammer? You have a link to the show?

Yes the petals separate from from the shank and generally exit as well. A bullet that opens and sheds properly is highly unlikely to change course after impact. About the only way we have ever seen a bullet change course is with marginal stability and not opening causing them to tumble on impact. Hard to say where a bullet like that will go.
The camera operator was in the blind with the hunter when he shot the deer straight broadside and the bullet deflected forward as I described. I'm sorry I don't remember the show, it was a big ranch in S. Texas, yea I know that doesn't narrow it down much, they did not talk about the bullets they were shooting so I have no idea what it was, but from following the post about Hammers I discovered that they peel off and do a great job on messing up the inside.