I Hate Hammer Bullets!

I've never shot a Hammer bullet, but I held a 375 CheyTac cartridge loaded with a Hammer… I thought it was hideous, and undesirable to look at. The bullet had ribs out beyond the neck of the case. Just ugly.
Seriously though, the "Shock Hammer" looks like something you'd expect to find at Spencers Gift Shop…
This one is just funny!

This is very good advice. I try to stay out but it is not really my nature to just lie down.

Thanks for your wisdom.
I certainly can understand that. I was the same way in my marriage. I had to stick up for myself everytime I felt I was being unfairly accused. It took waaaay too many fights and 5 months of marriage counseling for me to realize I had an ego problem. I worked really hard at trying to be a good husband and I couldn't accept the idea that she wasn't seeing what I considered to be my top-notch work.

Best of luck. I'm all for the shooting sports seeing advancements and shooters having more options!

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing this up. Butterbean reluctantly tried Hammers a couple years ago on insistent persuasion from another member here that started using them in the beginning. They did everything that he wanted from a bullet. We have never given him anything. He is a vet and had never taken the vet discount that we offer in our checkout page that is there to take on the honor system. I had spoken to him on the phone like I do many customers. When he heard about my son's death he sent me a framed Bible verse that I found comforting. It sits in front of my desk. He never asked for anything. When he heard that we were having a memorial for my son he showed up a few days ahead of time in our shop. This guy was standing in our doorway and I had no idea who he was. He introduced himself. I was glad to meet him in person but had no idea why he was in town. I asked him what brought him to our neck of the woods. He told us he came for the memorial and came a few days early to help anyway he could in the shop. Put me to work he says. This guy came half way across the country to support a guy he had never met. I don't think I know anyone else that would do this. We paid him for his help in the shop with a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a hat. Which he took reluctantly.

We have grown to be friends with a group of guys over the last few years that are customers of ours. It has come up in conversation about Butterbean and his hatred (ironic) of the Creed how much fun it would be to give him one for Christmas. Just so happens that we had one that we paid all of $250 dollars for when we first started making bullets that we used for testing. We volunteered it for the sake of the Christmas roast. It was some of the best fun I have had in some time. So if you want to call that payment for services you couldn't be more wrong.

I am starting to see a trend in this thread that Butterbean is the reason that folks are going to use for hating Hammers. This also seams irrational to me.

He is a big boy that makes his own decisions. He doesn't take any marching orders from us, or anyone else for that matter. I have no more control over him than I do any of you. I could ask him to never publicly support our company again and he would honor the request. I'm not going to do that. He helps way more people than he puts off. Is he brash in his tact? Sho nuff! Does anyone wonder what he thinks? Nope. Is he a good man that I am lucky enough to call my friend? Yes. He told me not to tell anyone that he had done those things, so hopefully I have not offended him and his wishes to be kept private. Bean I'm sorry.

So here is my final thought on this. There is a bunch of you that need to put your feelers away. I'll stop there before I turn into an a hole.
I have a few comments about Butterbean, if that's ok. Apologies in advance, Steve. Not trying to hijack your thread.

When I first started spending a lot of time on LRH, sometimes BB cracked me up. Then, over time, I started to find him irritating. Then annoying, then frustrating, to the point I was going to just block him in the immediate future.

Then, I watched one of his (maybe his first?) YouTube clips on crimping bullets with the Lee FCD.

Honestly, not at all what I pictured from his posts. Somewhere, we lose a lot in text. I think I have read that something like 75% of communication is NON-verbal. Meaning that if we are going text-only, we are missing WAY more than the majority of what exactly is trying to be expressed.

After watching his video, I am back to having an appreciation for BB. After hearing and seeing him communicate, I have a totally different picture of the guy and how he communicates. And value his input on Hammer discussions, as well as tons of other super valuable info he has spread over the years.

I will say that I can see where some of the posters come from with just an annoyance with seeing Hammers brought up all the time, although I'm a very satisfied Hammer customer, and these posts don't personally bother me.

Anyway, wanted to chime in quick since I've seen BB from both sides. I think in person, the people that are annoyed by him would see him in another light completely. Keep up the good work!

If Ford Fanatics always hopped on a thread about chevy or ram pickups and took it over and picked fights, I would grow to hate ford. Over enough time, any reasonable person would come to despise those people and the product motivating the behavior. Its annoying, nobody likes people like that.

It would be even worse if those same ford fanatics hopped on threads about ferrari's or lambo's and tried to push their product.
That is what you have going on at LRH. Same handful of guys. This isn't just one person and it doesn't happen every once in a while. It happens all of the time. They push and defend them on threads where it doesnt even make sense…people are just scratching their heads. Which is why you are starting to see people get sick of it. Even long time members here.

A few threads get posted about other mono bullet offerings and your boys are confused wondering what is going on like this is hammertime. And it bothers you so much that you have to start this thread.

Might as well change the name from Len's Long Range Hunting to Steve and Friends Hammer Bullets.

This non sense doesnt happen on 24hourcampfire, Rokslide, Snipershide or any other hunting or shooting forum. It is 100% unique to LRH.
Back when we first started I was the only one that posted about Hammer Bullets. Makes sense because nobody has used them. I don't think I ever started a thread that didn't have someone come in and say that a diff bullet should be used instead. I can pretty much bet with confidence that I can start a results based thread tomorrow and someone will offer a bullet that should be used instead. Has it made me mad. Yep. Have I pitched a public fit. I don't think so. I have defended myself strongly. May have shown my anger in the beginning. I tried not to but I was a lone voice. I did what I thought was right.

I don't know about those other sites. I don't look at them. Tried a little in the past but just can't stand them. I get calls from people regularly that found us on some other site that I don't interact with so Hammers are certainly a topic there.

Start a thread about your favorite truck. Let's see what happens.

This is fresh! Legitimate points.

We just started work on creating published Hammer load data. This data will concentrate on Shock Hammers and Hammer Hunters. Once that is done then we will work on the Absolutes. They are kinda like working with a wildcat cartridge. They are easier in some cartridges than others.

I do not avoid emails. I certainly miss some now and then. For that I apologize. Usually happens after we go hunting and I miss some in the process of catching up.

That is an interesting point on the vapor trail. Or Hammer Trail as we have been recently calling it.

This is fresh! Legitimate criticism.

We have just begun the process of creating Hammer load data. We will concentrate on the Hammer Hunters and Shock Hammers first. Once they are done then we will look at the Absolutes.

We don't avoid answering any emails. If your emails were missed it is my fault. I try to answer them daily and spend most of my day doing so. When we go hunting I fall behind and I know I have missed some in the effort to catch up on them when we come back from hunting trips. I'm sorry for letting yours slip through the cracks.

We will talk about your idea of a note with the bullets about the vapor trail. Our was we have recently dubbed it the Hammer Trail!
Boy I messed that up. It disappeared and I started over. Oh well.

I certainly can understand that. I was the same way in my marriage. I had to stick up for myself everytime I felt I was being unfairly accused. It took waaaay too many fights and 5 months of marriage counseling for me to realize I had an ego problem. I worked really hard at trying to be a good husband and I couldn't accept the idea that she wasn't seeing what I considered to be my top-notch work.

Best of luck. I'm all for the shooting sports seeing advancements and shooters having more options!
There you go being smart again!🙂

If Ford Fanatics always hopped on a thread about chevy or ram pickups and took it over and picked fights, I would grow to hate ford. Over enough time, any reasonable person would come to despise those people and the product motivating the behavior. Its annoying, nobody likes people like that.

It would be even worse if those same ford fanatics hopped on threads about ferrari's or lambo's and tried to push their product.
That is what you have going on at LRH. Same handful of guys. This isn't just one person and it doesn't happen every once in a while. It happens all of the time. They push and defend them on threads where it doesnt even make sense…people are just scratching their heads. Which is why you are starting to see people get sick of it. Even long time members here.

A few threads get posted about other mono bullet offerings and your boys are confused wondering what is going on like this is hammertime. And it bothers you so much that you have to start this thread.

Might as well change the name from Len's Long Range Hunting to Steve and Friends Hammer Bullets.

This non sense doesnt happen on 24hourcampfire, Rokslide, Snipershide or any other hunting or shooting forum. It is 100% unique to LRH.
I don't want to ruffle feathers but this is not a Ford forum that a Chevy fan is hijacking. This is a forum on all things shooting, hunting and reloading including all brands. This place is a wealth of knowledge from some really great people with a lot more experience than some of us have. I personally want to hear everyone's experience and advice on all brands and components that have or have not worked for them without others criticizing them for it. After all we are all here because we have a love/addiction for either hunting, shooting or both. So if someone doesn't like a post just don't read it and stop arguing or bullying people because of your personal opinions. I love this website and am grateful for all of you and everything you guys have tought me over the years. Let's just try to remember that we are all like minded individuals and on the same side in the end.

I have used Hammer bullets in multiple different calibers and weights for some time now. There are things about them that I like and some that I don't like as much. But I cannot say that I love them or hate them. I love the fact that they are so easy to develop a load for, they shoot very well, and do a great job on game. I don't like their BC's and that I have had problems with them feeding from an internal magazine. That being said, I have figured out how to get around the things that I do not like. The BC's are what they are, and I realized that they are not a long-range bullet. But realistically I have never killed an animal over 550 yards. So, do I really need more BC? I don't know. I shot the elk in my picture from 550 yards with a Nosler partition, which does not have a good BC. The feeding problems that I have had are from the bullets being seated out too far. Once I seat them in a little further, the feeding problems improved. Yes, they are a bit pricey but given the fact that you have the ability to pick up the phone and call Steve anytime and that they have what you are looking for in stock, I will give up the extra money.

In the end of the day, I am all about supporting small businesses that support the hobbies that I love. Steve and his crew are all about developing a product that meets or exceeds the needs of the masses. I will never be an exclusive shooter of Hammer bullets, unless they pay me (just kidding), but they will always have a place on my loading bench.

I don't want to ruffle feathers but this is not a Ford forum that a Chevy fan is hijacking. This is a forum on all things shooting, hunting and reloading including all brands. This place is a wealth of knowledge from some really great people with a lot more experience than some of us have. I personally want to hear everyone's experience and advice on all brands and components that have or have not worked for them without others criticizing them for it. After all we are all here because we have a love/addiction for either hunting, shooting or both. So if someone doesn't like a post just don't read it and stop arguing or bullying people because of your personal opinions. I love this website and am grateful for all of you and everything you guys have tought me over the years. Let's just try to remember that we are all like minded individuals and on the same side in the end.
Steve brought up the Ford parallel. I just expanded on it - and I said "thread" not "forum"…There is a big difference between the two. Look it up. Also, Steve started this thread and asked for people to explain why they hate hammer and specifically asked people who use his bullet to stay off of it. It was his one rule. Apparently he didnt need or want you to come to his rescue, not my request, it was his. So obviously you did want to ruffle feathers after all.

Steve brought up the Ford parallel. I just expanded on it - and I said "thread" not "forum"…There is a big difference between the two. Look it up. Also, Steve started this thread and asked for people to explain why they hate hammer and specifically asked people who use his bullet to stay off of it. It was his one rule. Apparently he didnt need or want you to come to his rescue, not my request, it was his. So obviously you did want to ruffle feathers after all.
I give up.

You asked WHY....if you don't like the answer then don't like it! I ..lol was going to use FORD...and I drive one!. It would be best served if any further discussions on Hammer went to YOUR WEBSITE for awhile perhaps instead of here. Just my humble opinion. Just like the Guy at work as you stated.

Are you serious? You come on an open forum thread to suggest the thread be moved to a private business web-site? You appear to want attention from other "haters". Why not a private message?