I hate copper fouling

j_22250

So I got this rifle that shoots groups **** near in the same hole, but after about the 7-10thth shot they spread out to about an inch; still not bad. I usually clean after 4-5shots cuz other wise it takes alot longer; by the way hopes benchrest #9 sucks. I'm gonna get some barnes. I bought this gun used a couple years ago. shot a box to sight in and stuck it in the closest. I shot another one through it and wasn't impressed so i cleaned it out good and made some handloads for it. I was real impressed until my copper buddy showed back up. Oh the humanity..... will it ever end? From now on ever new gun I get is gonna have a stainless steel barrel on it.

I got scolded for using CR-10 (Barnes stuff) use Butches bore shine or Tetra.

Gunsmith says CR-10 can etch a SS barrel, dont know if he cared for it in a steel barrel or not? I havent seen any copper come outa my Lilja anyway, gets sooty but have seen no metal come outa there yet, and dont see none in there.

Might just go with butches or wipe out then. It took me 2hrs. to clean last time, letting the hopes soak for about 30min. each time. Gun is a savage and i hope it stops doing this or at least gets to the point were it is not affected as much by having a little copper in the bore.

I got scolded for using CR-10 (Barnes stuff) use Butches bore shine or Tetra.

Gunsmith says CR-10 can etch a SS barrel.

If you only use CR-10 for the stubborn copper and only let it sit in the barrel no longer than 10 minutes (like I believe the directions say) you will never harm your barrel. CR-10 is a good ammonia based product that does remove copper relatively quickly. But after seeing some studies on lab rat exposure to ammonia, I have quit using ammonia based and petroleum distillate solvents.

I am still using the enzyme based cleaner formerly known as Coppermelt for most of the stubborn coppered barrels. It is no longer made unfortunately which borders on the edge of tragedy not just inconvenience. But when I am cleaning custom barrels or fair factory barrels, I use Bore Tech Eliminator. It is distillate free, ammonia free, and gets copper out almost as fast as Coppermelt. And it actually smells nice!

I know a lot of benchrest shooters who use Butches and there is nothing wrong with it. It is a good all-around cleaner. But it can't hold a candle to Eliminator. Some of my fellow shooters in my region still hold fast to the Butches though like they are afraid to try something new. Oh well.

Thanks for the info good grouper. I dont think the barrel has ever had the copper removed from it. I am in the process of breaking it in though as i do my load development. I think i have my load jst need to do some more testing(42grs. varget and 168 sierra hpbt seated .010 off the lands). I just sent in an order to midway and i ended up going with montana x-tream bore cleaner. After reading the reviews it was comarable to cr-10 and just as good as butches plus it's on sale right now for 2.99 a 4oz bottle. So i ordered 3. I am also gonna try some kroil have herd great things. I never thought to use this in guns before. This gun seems to shoot at its best when all copper is removed. I read a thread on another site that said not to remove all of it cuz it acually fills in some of of the tooling marks. every gun is different though and mine shoots at its best when clean.

Last edited:
I'm new to the board,,,and been dying ta get my feet wet!!!! So,,,,,,here's my .0002% of a C-note worth!!!!!! Being a BR shooter I have had some barrels clean up good and some not so good!!! Yep,,,,that "feel" with the cleaning rod told me,,,,,,and the Bore Scope showed me!!!!! I have tried most cleaners,,,,even tooth paste (hehe),,,,and what works for me on "stubborn barrels" is this!!!!! Mothers Aluminum Polish!!!! Here's how I skin the cat:
3 wet patches (Butches & Hoppe 50/50)
1 dry patch
2 patches with MAP light cover (slowly stroking 8 to 10")
4 dry patches
3 wet patches
8 strokes up and back wire brush (slowly)
3 wet patches (Butches & Hoppe)
1 dry patch
1 dry chamber patch
Doing this won't make a "stubborn barrel" a screamer,,,,,,!!!!! I have found that it'll shoot better after 10 or 15 rounds!!!!! An easy cleaner will shoot best after one round!!!!!!! Yep,,,,lap that barrel before the smith chucks it up!!!!!!!!
Gutter

copper

Well, I hate to say it but try some mollied bullets. I just recieved a used Rem 5R MilSpec 308 that was fed a steady diet of 175 SMK mollied and with just a few patches and a nylon borebrush the bbl showed absolutely NO copper at all. Borescope revealed 100 percent clean. Never believed in molly but if the bbl is going to stay this copper free with it's use, I may well change my mind.

Hey gutter, I am no expert by any means, but if went through the process u described and didn't see and remarkable change after 3-3shot groups than I would be upset. If the easy cleaners shoot better after 1 shot then count me in. Are you lapping the bore with the MAP? If so why not use a product like flitz or even a really fine lapping compound. I have firelapped a bore before with i think 600 grit lapping compound and it worked really well and after cleaning, results were instant.

I asked a while back if anyone had tried a product called ultra bore coat and didn't have any success. I herd this was supossed to work great. From what i understood it was like a ceramic coating for the inside of you barrel. Pretty pricy stuff though.

I had similar issues with a Savage .308. I cleaned the barrel with GM's Top Engine Cleaner, patched it dry, applied Wipe Out Accelerator, and then 2 12hr soaks with WO. I then dried it, ran some Kroil down the barrel and short stroked it with JB Bore Paste. I cleaned the JB out, and from that point on I have used Danzac coated bullets and have shot this rifle at Bodines firing as many as 70 rounds in a session without any copper issues at all.

HTH,
Frank D

Last edited:
Try KG-12 from KG industries. I won't harm your barrel and it does wonders. Google it for an amazing test that is unbelievable

Another vote for Wipe Out Accelerator and then foam. 3 wet patches or until clean with Accelerator then fill her up with foam. Soak overnight and two dry patched to push out the blue ink. You can repeat to test for copper but doubt you will get anymore. I had a Really neglected Ruger 25-06AI barrel that shoots nothing but 75 grain V-Max's at 3850 and we get that thing branding iron hot all the time. It sometimes takes 3 overnighters to come clean. The third one never gets anymore so 2 soaks is all it really gets. I quit using brushes years ago. Actual labor with the cleaning rod is about 3 minutes. WipeOut does all the work.

Two buddies and I tried Warthog http://warthog1134.com/ on our recent Wyoming PD hunt.

Wipeout with Accelerator was my favorite, but Warthog is just as good, but faster and less messy.

...and no, I have no connection with the Warthog company. :mad:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.