I Had Forgotten

My Niece turned 16 this week, She's a Daddy's girl and tough as a pine knot, works hard on the farm, good grades, softball, volleyball, 4-H animals the whole 9 yards, She has been Deer hunting with every time he goes but hasn't shot anything yet but her time is coming, anyway she is very special to me so I got her a rifle of her own that fit her so she wasn't struggling with something awkward, A CVA Hunter in 243 topped with a 2-7 X 32 Nikon, Nothing special but very accurate and capable, She came over last night for a bit and was so tired from her day it was all she could do to hold her eyes open. I brung it up from downstairs and said Happy Birthday, I swear her eyes grew three times in size and her smile was mesmerizing and for a moment in my world ...............Everything was rite, I had forgotten what it felt like to see a kid that happy over a gun or anything for that matter.............. It's good to be Uncle Bean
PS She shot it off the back porch just to make sure it worked ;)

Great story, nice to read family stuff on the forum. I can tell you from experience, my son is fifty-years old and I usually will buy/build/put together a rifle for him for Christmas. I see that look that you have described every Christmas, it's great to see that smile, and.....a slight tear in the eye from him. We both like tang safety Ruger 77s. I just bought a Ruger 77 donor rifle in 7mm RemMag, it's out being rebarreled with a 24 inch Lilja barrel ( contoured to factory specs) in 300WinMag (that's what he's been talking about for a while now), blueprinted, reblued, I'll do the bedding when it comes back from the gunsmith.

My Niece turned 16 this week, She's a Daddy's girl and tough as a pine knot, works hard on the farm, good grades, softball, volleyball, 4-H animals the whole 9 yards, She has been Deer hunting with every time he goes but hasn't shot anything yet but her time is coming, anyway she is very special to me so I got her a rifle of her own that fit her so she wasn't struggling with something awkward, A CVA Hunter in 243 topped with a 2-7 X 32 Nikon, Nothing special but very accurate and capable, She came over last night for a bit and was so tired from her day it was all she could do to hold her eyes open. I brung it up from downstairs and said Happy Birthday, I swear her eyes grew three times in size and her smile was mesmerizing and for a moment in my world ...............Everything was rite, I had forgotten what it felt like to see a kid that happy over a gun or anything for that matter.............. It's good to be Uncle Bean
Way to go Uncle. I am the only one who hunts in my family and I was inspired by my Grandfather and Uncle's tales of being in the field and what happened in Deer Camp. Later when I was a teenager I would joined my Uncle's for more adventures in the field and Deer Camp. In my early forties my only nephew express interest in hunting, and when he graduated from college I gave him my custom Mauser in 7 X 57. You would have thought I had given him a million dollars he was so over whelmed with emotion. Now he is grow up with a son that has wanted to start hunting with his Dad. On my last visit I left the 25-06 and my knife that I had bought when I was 15 for his son to starting using and this fall there will be three generations of hunters in the field for more adventures.
Ace

Way to go Uncle. I am the only one who hunts in my family and I was inspired by my Grandfather and Uncle's tales of being in the field and what happened in Deer Camp. Later when I was a teenager I would joined my Uncle's for more adventures in the field and Deer Camp. In my early forties my only nephew express interest in hunting, and when he graduated from college I gave him my custom Mauser in 7 X 57. You would have thought I had given him a million dollars he was so over whelmed with emotion. Now he is grow up with a son that has wanted to start hunting with his Dad. On my last visit I left the 25-06 and my knife that I had bought when I was 15 for his son to starting using and this fall there will be three generations of hunters in the field for more adventures.
Ace
That's awesome

A great ending to a wonderful and timeless story !
Kudos to You !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.